Most comfortable way to secure a Boba Fett helmet on your head?

joe

Active Hunter
Hey there everyone...

My Boba Fett helmet is pretty wobbly. I've looked at the hard hat solution and it doesn't seem like it'll work well.

My head is really big. I wear a 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 fitted hat.

What's the best way to secure the helmet? I've walked around with just a foam pad in it while trooping and it works, but any abrupt movement makes it not really follow my head very well and it'll wobble a bit.

Can I just velcro something like this into the helmet?

Does anyone have any non-accurate or accurate solutions they consider comfortable?

Thanks!

I’ve tried different methods for my Fett and praetorian. I have a small head so need extra padding to not have helmet tilt/fall off. I also tried suspension system with minimal success.

For praetorian I settled on a motor cycle helmet liner. Works beautifully, balances helmet, comfortable and breathes well. Doesn’t look pretty but does the job. :)

For Fett. I have a lovely helmet liner from white shadow. Looks beautiful and is great for keeping helmet level and comfortable.

Hope this helps.

joe
When building my ROTJ Fett, I looked at various different headstrap options. Being a former soldier in the US Army ('94-'04) I was familiar with the PASGT (Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops) headstrap suspension systems they use on their Helmets (We called the helmets "K-Pots" or simply "Kevlar"). Obvously as a soldier wearing a standard issue military helmet for extended periods of time can be taxing. So I imagine the Department of Defense went to some lengths to make them as comfortable as they could be. But here is what mine looks like installed in my ROTJ Boba Maker VX Helmet.....
PASGT System - Installed.jpg

I secured mine with heavy duty 3M velcro, and have trooped with it a couple times. And I can say it is very responsive on my head, even with quick turns of my head (No Bobbling). I don't have a chin strap on mine and since I don't plan on using my costume to do any action moves that would involve me jumping around. So, I didn't think a chin strap.....for me, was necessary.

If this is what you're after, then you need simply to head out to ebay and search:
1) PASGT Helmet Suspension (Seller: Windyman55)
2) PASGT Sweatband (Seller: alleghenyoutlet)
Both items seem to be plentiful and are easily acquired - I got both of mine for just under $12.00. Just an FYI, typically these items will be seperate purchases. Also, make sure to understand your head size. For some reason I recalled me having a "Large" band when I was in the Army. And ordered it blindly......turned out, it was WAY too big and I needed to order the next size down - Medium.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck!

Regards,
-Iron

Last edited:
Helmet cradle and a chin cup, installed correctly the sucker won't move
Helmet cradle is similar to what Irongladiator is using above right? This --- PASGT Helmet Suspension ?

I think grabbing the amazon chin cup and something like the Helmet Suspension is probably my best bet... The helmet liner everyone is recommending looks cool, but my head already presses my nose to the visor and I don't think I could fit my head in very well with that much padding.

I just have some memory foam on the top of my helmet right now so it doesn't hurt my head.

joe
It should also be known that the PASGT system does have a Chin Strap that can be added too!
Which go for around $6.00 on eBay.

-Iron

I just add foam around the forehead area and sides.

I have a WhiteShadow liner for display, although I find it uncomfortable with my big head. I almost never put any padding on the back of my helmets. That way I can push my face back away from the visor as much as possible

I just add foam around the forehead area and sides.

I have a WhiteShadow liner for display, although I find it uncomfortable with my big head. I almost never put any padding on the back of my helmets. That way I can push my face back away from the visor as much as possible
I think we have a similarly big head hahaha.

Also Irongladiator

Did the sellers you mentioned include the screws?

I see this one that comes with the sweat band, suspension and 6 screws. It looks like I'd need the screws to secure the chin strap?

$22 + like $6 for the chin strap is really affordable. This looks like it'll be the correct solution too.

Also Irongladiator

Did the sellers you mentioned include the screws?

I see this one that comes with the sweat band, suspension and 6 screws. It looks like I'd need the screws to secure the chin strap?

$22 + like $6 for the chin strap is really affordable. This looks like it'll be the correct solution too.

joe
I do believe mine did come with screws, I think I tossed mine though, there wasnt a need for em'. The Sweatband will attach via the included clips to the suspension system. And again I used some heavy duty 3M velcro to the inside of my helmet to secure the suspension system. As a bonus, mine came with Velco already on the suspension system - So i only needed to supply the rough heavy duty velcro from 3M on my helmet. And it thus far has NOT given me any issues.

Reflecting on my days back in the Army, I do believe the chin strap is secured via screws - but I'm NOT 100% on that.

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
joe
I do believe mine did come with screws, I think I tossed mine though, there wasnt a need for em'. The Sweatband will attach via the included clips to the suspension system. And again I used some heavy duty 3M velcro to the inside of my helmet to secure the suspension system. As a bonus, mine came with Velco already on the suspension system - So i only needed to supply the rough heavy duty velcro from 3M on my helmet. And it thus far has NOT given me any issues.

Reflecting on my days back in the Army, I do believe the chin strap is secured via screws - but I'm NOT 100%
You are correct! I wear the current style of Kevlar helmet for work sometimes ( the high cut version, commonly known as the FAST version), but I collect ballistic helmets on the side and can say, having installed many suspension systems, the chin straps actually screw into the helmet, via 2 holes per strap.
There are however some airsoff suspension systems that have integrated straps, you can find them on amazon and honestly it's pretty easy to drill a hole through the head band retaining straps and screw the chin strap into 4 of the headband suspension straps and then glue some eva foam ( the thin fun foam from Hobby Lobby or walmart) over the screws and bolts.

As a follow up response...

I ended up heeding Irongladiator 's advice.

However, I bought this one - US Military Surplus PASGT Helmet Headband Sweatband Hook & Pile 1.5" STRAP S-M-L | eBay for the sweat band. It uses velcro instead of the metal snaps so it's a lot easier to use imo. I couldn't figure out the other one at all. It also adjusts for the size of your head with velcro too.

The chin strap didn't really work. I couldn't get it to actually get to my chin and trying to snap the button proved impossible since it's so high up in the actual helmet. This PASGT system is much more secure than my foam insert I was using before. I can look left, right, up, down and it stays on my head pretty well and is comfortable. All of it is secured with velcro since I just stuck some sticky velcro on the inside of the helmet.

This is my set up now in the picture below! It's a BobaMaker VX.

IMG_0525.JPG

joe
Nice setup! I was gonna say that helmet looks familiar!
:cool: (y)

This PASGT system is much more secure than my foam insert I was using before. I can look left, right, up, down and it stays on my head pretty well and is comfortable. All of it is secured with velcro since I just stuck some sticky velcro on the inside of the helmet.
While I can't speak to the foam insert, I have only ever done the PASGT system. And like you, I thought it worked out pretty well. It was comfortable and very responsive when I moved my head around. Glad to hear you like it.

Cheers,
-Iron

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back