Pinkflamingos6 ROTJ Build

Got my first layer of yellow on my practice piece. This is krylon bright idea and will be the color for the yellow damage.
20220603_183903.jpg

20220603_183843.jpg

Screenshot_20220526-184323_Lowe's.jpg

And I plan on using krylon bauhaus gold misted with brown for the main yellow.
Screenshot_20220603-185224_Lowe's.jpg

Thanks to my supportive and ever so helpful girlfriend I was able to do another test suit up yesterday and take some pictures for my resubmit!

Here's a little photo dump from yesterday. I think overall the costume looks a lot better. Everything has a more authentic gritty/grimy feel as compared to my first attempt. And I think the krylon clear coat made a huge difference on my armor pieces.

I plan on sending these new pictures in today for a second go around and hope for the best!

As always, thank you everyone on TDH for all your help and support!
View attachment 223536
View attachment 223537
View attachment 223538
View attachment 223539
View attachment 223540
View attachment 223541
View attachment 223542
View attachment 223543
After reviewing the pictures I did notice a few things that are suit up issues that need some tweaks, as always it's a work in progress and hope to address them in the future.

Let me know how I did!
So when you dyed the pocket with RIT Dark Brown, how long did you leave it in the dye bath before you pulled it out? My apologies, I'm assuming you did the stove-top way. Mine is in the bath now, and looking pretty dark, and it's only been a few minutes. I know it will change when it's dry, but 30 minutes seems like a long time.

I did the bucket method. It really varies depending on how much dye you put in the water. It will lighten up when you rinse and dry the pouch. Don't over do it, you can always go back and make it darker but if it's too dark it's tricky to lighten it up.

Been busy doing some rework while I wait to hear back from my GML.

Got some color adjustment done to the jetpack missile. I mixed up a red and bronze color and added more color.
20220605_094242.jpg

Also did some color corrections to the thrusters to lighten them up a bit. Here's my pack as it sits now.
20220605_115358.jpg

Also completed my test piece for the shoulder armor and knee armor
20220605_115504.jpg

20220605_115607.jpg

20220605_115625.jpg

Just wanted to test some different colors and I think I'm going to roll with this combo when my BobaMaker pieces come in, minus the rushed paint work lol

I added some more weathering to the left gauntlet rocket as per the feedback.
20220606_092555.jpg

Also got some more feedback from my GML:

I think we can move on from the gauntlets. I also saw that you updated the hose which is great. So yes. Check those off. The jetpack rocket is looking good. We can check that off. So let's see what else we can do with the remainder of the jetpack.

Unfortunately, I think you may have gone a little too far with the thrusters. You can see from the photos that the thrusters (and tanks) have a base layer of white, then layered with grey and misted with black/dark greys. Like I mentioned yours now almost have a blueish hue to them and are now pretty dark. The same idea would apply to the side tanks. Also with the side tanks the black design should be scratched up a little more and not look so "new" or "freshly painted." Speaking of designs, the black markings at the bottom of the piano keys should be barely visible along with the one at the bottom of the pack. The only marking that you can ever really make out completely is the one at the top of the pack on the right side of the yellow.

Ok. Finally. We can do without the scratch on the crease. So if you really do not want to add that in then we can do without it.

So it looks like I'm going to have to repaint the thrusters and the white on the tanks and tone down the decals on the lower part of the pack.

I'm hoping to be able to lighten the tanks up without a full repaint but we'll see.

Looks like the journey continues! Stay tuned and thanks for viewing!

Excited to say that my BobaMaker shoulder and knee armor came in yesterday. I'm very happy with the quality of Everything and can't wait to start painting these pieces up.

I did notice that the knees are larger than what I have now and they fit much better. I am surprised with how lightweight the metal dart launchers are as well.
20220621_195726.jpg

PinkFlamingos6
…Except that he gave you an ESB shoulder decal!
:oops:

I’d just let him know that. Not to worry, I know he’d send you out another one.

I can confirm he sent you the correct shoulder and knee armor though. And yes, those pieces look great!
:cool:(y)

-Iron

Last edited:
PinkFlamingos6
…Except that he gave you an ESB shoulder decal!
:oops:

I’d just let him know that. Not to worry, I know he’d send you out another one.

I can confirm he sent you the correct shoulder and knee armor though. And yes, those pieces look great!
:cool:(y)

-Iron
I did notice that about the decal. It's funny because that's the first thing I checked when I opened the box because I remembered your experience lol

I emailed Daz about it and hopefully we'll get everything worked out.

I did notice that about the decal. It's funny because that's the first thing I checked when I opened the box because I remembered your experience lol

I emailed Daz about it and hopefully we'll get everything worked out.
PinkFlamingos6
Daz is good peeps. I know he'll sort you out. I received this within an hour of me sending him an email about mine....
1655912164374.png

...Only human.

Best,
-Iron

Little Saturday morning update...

I was able to work things out with Daz about the decal. I very much appreciate the kind offer ShortFuse! I think I may be ordering some more decals from you to decorate my storage bin in the future!

Got the knees and shoulders painted up for the base metal damage.
20220625_101456.jpg

Also got a base layer of white to the thrusters. I'm really hoping my GML will let the color of the tanks on my jetpack slide and I won't have to repaint them and then I'll just have to match the thrusters to the tanks. Still waiting to hear on that.
20220625_104511.jpg

Finally the BobaMaker dart launchers for the knees painted up along with the QDC jetpack greeblie that I've decided to go back and repaint red. This greeblie will go on the left thruster as seen in the ROTJ promo shoot.
20220625_105716.jpg

Screenshot_20220625-105041_Gallery.jpg

Thank you for viewing and stay tuned for more updates!

Been a hot minute since an update, got the thrusters painted up. Just waiting to hear back from my GML before I do the misting.
20220706_142919.jpg

And here's the hot mess that is my knee and shoulder armor lol
20220709_103323.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the colors but I messed up big time with the final yellow coat. The krylon bauhaus gold was just too transparent and took too many coats to build up the final color. It's been days and the paint still is tacky.

I'm gonna try to strip the paint off completely and start from scratch.

Anybody have any recommendations for stripping paint from ABS? I may try oven cleaner since I've used it in the past to strip paint from model car bodies without any trouble.

Also a huge thanks to NeoFett for all his help! I cannot thank him enough for answering all my questions!

What voice changer are you using? I need to get a speaker still. Just got my helical hypercom. I ordered a pair of cruddy mics from Amazon, and after purchasing a speaker with no auxillary port I figured I'd ask what speaker you're using, and where did you put it? I can't wait to try it out.

What voice changer are you using? I need to get a speaker still. Just got my helical hypercom. I ordered a pair of cruddy mics from Amazon, and after purchasing a speaker with no auxillary port I figured I'd ask what speaker you're using, and where did you put it? I can't wait to try it out.
Sorry for the late reply, but I currently just have the voice amp. No voice changer yet. This is what I have:
20220718_165032.jpg

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back