Nid's Animefan bucket ROTJ paintup

NidofTyranid

New Hunter
Hola all. First time poster, long time observer. I have an absolutely wonderful bucket that I got from Animefan that I'm painting up as a ROTJ Boba Helmet. This is definitely outside of my comfort zone (I do paint, but generally with brushes - not spray paint or airbrushes). I'm utilizing spray paint and humbrol maskol in topographical layering, and all things considered it seems to be going moderately well so far. I also have been using Rafalfett's ROTJ template and Stormtrooperguy's rotj spraypaint thread as references while making this. I've deviated from some paint choices based on difficulty finding a good silver (Satin nickel was all anyone near me had in terms of lighter silvers, but it does the job.)

As much as it feels like a horrible crime, the first thing I chose to do with this helmet after receiving it was add the appropriate physical damage based on what I could see in the MoM pictures and Rubio95's pictures of the damage on the FP2H Rotj helmet from his review. Afterwards, I re-primed it in granite gray, and then added satin nickel metallic paint.
fetthelmet2.jpgfetthelmet1.jpg
I decided to continue the tradition I've seen most paint up threads do on here and start with the back panels. They are more than a little bit intimidating. I tried to stick to the stencil as much as I could (Size was off a bit, and I'm still getting the hang of successfully spreading the maskol just how I want it). I also messed up some by adding a few extra silver areas on the right panel, but overall although its not perfectly accurate, it honestly turned out better than I thought it would, especially given how it looked during the middle layer. I started with masking the appropriate silver areas, then chose to go with a darker metallic I had found called weathered steel instead of reusing the grey primer (I felt the grey was too close to the silver in hue.). After that I went back in with flat black to darken some areas. Its not blended so it looks more dramatic in contrast than the templates. Also should of just reapplied maskol instead of using masking tape for some areas of the silver
. fetthelmet3.jpgfetthelmet4.jpgfetthelmet5.jpgfetthelmet6.jpg
Once I got through the cringing, I waited for everything to dry and then went through with maskol, and then applied Hunt Club Green. Like I said, it didn't look perfect, but it still has a weathered look even if it isn't an exact replicate in terms of shape and color shading in some areas. I like the right panel a lot more than the left, feels like it came out better.
fetthelmet8.jpgfetthelmet7.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be taping up the panels and applying maskol and then grey to the back vent to give it a more dulled and scratched up look. Also just wanted to add that I've been doing two coats per layer, and fine steel wool sanding before each new coat (It seriously makes a huge difference). Very excited to be working on this!

If this is your first time painting a bucket your going a pretty good job. Keep working on it and the helmet will look great!

It is my first time, and its been interesting so far going through and layering everything. This is definitely something that takes a ton of patience. Anyways, here is today's update! I finished the vent and back panels, and have moved onto the dome now. It took about two and a half hours to fully mask it, so I'm going to leave it at that tonight and start layering with weathered steel and flat black tomorrow.
fetthelmet9.jpgfetthelmet10.jpgfetthelmet11.jpgfetthelmet12.jpgfetthelmet13.jpg
I'm also trying to think of ways to do additional dirt/sand weathering on the helm after its painted up. Any ideas regarding that would be greatly appreciated!

nice work so far mate....i ran into the colour thing...i used humbrol paints dark green 30..and also found some revel and citadel model kit paints, that work great for finer detail

Hola guys, here with my next update. The helmet dome was "fun", as I realized I made a lot of the silver damage too bit half way through, and then my first attempt at the green dome color was way off (Its better now but still not perfect.). I'd love to use the humbrol colors but I don't have the funds for a airbrush+ compressor right now, so I'm having to go by whats been done on the dented helmet by using spray cans (Stormtrooperguy to the rescue!). I'm hoping the addition of chalk pastels for weathering after the full helmet coats are complete will help bring down the color to the more muted hues appropriate for the helmet and fix some of the color difference (Thinking of finely grinding it and brushing the pastels on, then dullcote to seal). I think it also may not have helped at all that my dent is slightly to the right of where I should have placed it (which shifted the kill stripes as well, which are a bit uneven in height for some spots.). I'll continue to tweak everything as I go (color included). Mandibles are up next.

fetthelmet14.jpgfetthelmet15.jpgfetthelmet16.jpg

Hey all. Here with a final update. Between exams, junior proposal, and catching a very severe cold, I've slowly been finishing up the helmet over the past two weeks while concurrently dying of exhaustion. Here are the photos showing the end result. I'm pretty happy with it aside from the colors being still a bit too light (I've realized that part of this is simply my cell phone camera, its fairly darker in person. Not sure why it doesn't show.). The only major issue I encountered is that due to the amount of time the masking tape was on the helmet while waiting for maskol for the mandible damage to arrive, both cheeks had some tearing with the top green layers when the tape was removed. I haven't gotten up the guts to fix that yet, plus to some extent the extra battle damage works consistency-wise since much of the battle damage I added was over-sized (Unfortunately it causes more suffering accuracy wise.). I went over it with varying amounts of ground chalk pastel and also a soft black/brown diluted paint glaze. The final photo is the end result after the additional dark weathering.

fetthelmet18.jpgfetthelmet17.jpg12065740_1001704489917763_8642118611955088317_n.jpg10985215_1001704479917764_5133490861161273818_n.jpgfetthelmet23.jpg

Holy jeez... Are all those dents and scratches from the physical cast itself, or were those added prior to painting? And more importantly, are the screen accurate?

I'm personally a die-hard fan off all the wonky weird nature of Star Wars helmets. This is an insanely gorgeous Mandalorian (Fett relative) lid. ...and I'm more of an ESB Fett fan. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back