NEW!! Fettpride Bucket aka "FPH" !!

FP,
For those of us who are late coming to this party:cry, will there be a second run of these made, and, if so, will PMs (and the secret password to the site) be forthcoming to allow us to proclaim our desired interest in getting our gloved hands on one of these beauties? :love:love:love

-Scott

Hi guys,

I should probably clear up a couple of things. I've been getting a lot of messages about "Super Secret", "Elitist", "Don't bother with the newbies", and "Go make your sales, go make your money ... money, money, money".

The way this was handled was in no way meant to make this some "super secret", "eyes only" kind of a deal. I'm probably about to say too much, but sometimes it can't be avoided. I've already posted most of this in recent years, but with the turn over in memberships, there comes a time that it must all be said again. So here goes. I would appreciate that everyone read this carefully, even if you have no interest in the "FPH".

My reasons for the way it's been handled are very innocent, to protect myself in the process ... I accepted pre-pays to lock in commitment, because it's without a doubt, a HUGE task - a major undertaking. As with all of my projects, it is not my intent to profit, but to share. I don't like to advertise the fact that I'm technically breaking the law? Ya know? I have the utmost respect for LFL, and seriously have no desire to be drug into the system for violations, and profiting. Which is why it's very seldom I actually sell my parts. In most cases, it's simply to recoup R&D on a new project. Like the FP V.2 Armor for instance. LFL has been very gracious in allowing the private sector (communities like our own) to make costumes and participate in organizations like the 501st. Granted, it benefits them, because we're helping keep the excitement going, which in turn, benefits their bottom line. It is just how things work. But it's a VERY, VERY fine line we walk. LFL has turned a blind eye in a manner of speaking, but only within reason. The unwritten rule, is "go ahead and do it, but use caution .. we'll have our eye on you". What this means in simple terms is, they'll allow people like me (unofficially) to help out their own preferred community ... but DO NOT disrespect them in such a way as to act like a blatant "One Stop Shop" ... and go into business for yourself and profit off of their intellectual property without expecting to get put in your place. To me, considering their "Wrath record" ... this IS gracious. And I do not violate that graciousness. Does my website have a shopping cart? Nope. Does my website list prices and S/H ? Nope. Is there a Visa, Mastercard, or Pay-Pal logo anywhere in there? Do I publicly post notes from "Satisfied Customers" ? Nope. When do I ever sell anything? When I complete a new project (once in a blue moon), I share, recoup a few of my $$, and the stuff is never seen again :lol:

Take the FPH project for instance. Most members believe that I'm making a killing, making a profit. It's simply not the case. When you figure materials, both mold making, as well as casting materials (which are a huge variety of expensive ones with a project like this one), then the time investment to build a helmet, build 8-10 intricate greeblies, make molds of everything, then the time to cast each individual part with a level of quality control and consistency, the errors and "b" grade castings that come out of it along the way, dry time for everything, trimming everything, fixing blemishes in the castings if any, packing materials, boxing, shipping, time, gas, ect, ect, ect .... it comes down to this ... it seriously works out to BELOW minimum wage ... if not put me in the hole. We all know, that if we charge for the actual time invested in something, it would be unaffordable. To make a profit off of one of these kits ... I'd have to charge $600 :lol: Of course the materials that go into a kit is a fraction of that. No big secret. But when members see what I do with one of these kits, it will be evident, that a couple hundred bucks, is, well lets say ... 'Ol FP must really like us". You'd have to be salaried by an FX studio to ensure that you get a fair living wage :lol:

This is a service to the community people. Practically charity. Make no mistake. Which is why I DON'T do this for a living. Does anyone see me selling this stuff on other boards? I know a lot of you frequent other boards ... the answer will always be .. "NO". I keep it here, as a favor to "The Dented Helmet".

This has always been a gray area for members here, both old and new, that may not have an understanding of what it really takes to put something like this together. There are some naysayers out there that boast .. "I can pop 10 helmets out a day" :lol: Realistically, they probably can ... but they're gonna suck, I assure you. This project is already exceeded 6 weeks. And that's not the R&D, that's putting things together. It's not about the cost of the materials, as it is the cost of time and effort that goes into making a quality share. Believe you me, there have been many times during this project, where I really felt down and out, and completely overwhelmed ... and considered throwing in the towel and making some refunds. This will obviously be the first time anyone has heard this, because I don't like to advertise that either. But on the flip side, I'm also not the type of person to "Give up" either. Remember ... and I've said this on many occasions ... I'm just one guy. I don't have employees. I don't outsource projects like others do. I do everything myself. In my spare time when I'm not working a real job ;) And if you think I make anything off of this, there is an open invite to any TDH member to come spend a day with me when I'm settled. There's already a line :lol:

The FPH page ... was setup simply for those who committed to a kit, to give those members something to show for their investment while I progressed through the various stages of this task. A way to show those members, that their investment is safe, and progressing over time. I did this because this is the first time I've accepted pre-pay for anything (against my own better judgement). I hate doing that, because inevitably, something always takes longer than projected ... no matter what :lol: But since this was a HUGE undertaking as I mentioned previously, I needed to ensure that if I invested in bringing this helmet to the members here at TDH, that I wasn't going to be left "Out of pocket" in the end if someone changed their mind. As simple as simple gets.

I hope this clears a few things up. As far as the future for the FPH? Only time will tell at this point. This phase needs to be wrapped up, and I need a week off ... before I'll comment further on that :lol:

Thanks everyone,

FP

Last edited by a moderator:
Boooo! You're terrible FP!;)

Very nice project C. And I look forward to future things in four parts in which to cover my chest with.
And also my forearms are a bit bare. Anything you could do about that?

:cheers

Having done a few castings of Vader buckets for sale, I couldn't agree more with what you have to say, FP. I often set what I think is a fair price for both the buyer and myself, only to realize later that it was the buyer who got the better end of the deal. I'm not complaining, because I too am really doing this to help a few people out and try to get back some of the cost of materials and such.

FP,

I for one, appreciate the effort ;) I just don't understand the birkering that goes on here at TDH...some people should just get their own hobby and let the artisians do their thing :lol: I would really hate to see you go "under ground" sort of speak and see your projects go to the "I know someone who knows someone who can make that for you" there by omitting almost everyone else here :cry A project like your FPH comes around once in a life time and when it does there are those of us who all over it :lol: I know people in the R2 Builders Club who have been in a holding pattern for ever just waiting for certain people to do a run of THIS or THAT because they are the best at what they do. You are one of those people that we wait upon to do your thing, I just wish that others would embrace it and be pro active in this hobby because as you have said...LFI has turned a blind eye to us ;) Get it together folks and let the man do his thing without having to look over his shoulder and deal with jealous rants. I am not in the fold regarding these personnal issues but as a board member that makes me involved therefore I am allowed to have an opinion in this matter...(y)

~Kevin

Aww FP that rough that people are giving you grief over this. Your reasons are totally understandable for the way you do things. I just wanted to see what the other users were freaking out about, frankly. I've got my helmet and I'm not looking to change it. I just can't wait to see some public pictures.

Phil

Personally, I'm glad that FP put password-protected site together. After the initial unveiling met with such hostility, jabs and mud-slinging, this was possibly the best to keep his customers informed of the progress without inviting more negative scrutiny every time he posted more pics.

I'm sure all the pictures will be made public eventually, especially from those of us who ordered. Besides, believe it or not, the progress pics aren't that great. FP is horrible at taking pictures. :)

Besides, believe it or not, the progress pics aren't that great. FP is horrible at taking pictures. :)

Yeah, I take such horrible pictures :rolleyes

I've been using my CELL PHONE !!!!!! :lol: :lol: Who wants to take their expensive stuff out in an environment like that !!!

;)

FP

I say if the products look as good as they do on a cell phone then that says alot about the product in person. :lol:

But seriously its the fact that you take hte pictures and share them with your customers! Thats what gets the big (y)

:cheers

Beautiful craftmanship! I really like the build-up pics! I'd like to own one of these after the more immediate needs of our members have been met. I'm ready to try my hand at painting a Boba helmet.:)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back