Need Help With Protecting the Chrome

HeyItsWubs

New Hunter
Hey all I'm new here and pretty new to Star Wars cosplay. I'm building a Din cosplay and I have everything done, but I have one thing left to take care of and I need some help. So for the chrome/silver I went with a chrome rattle can spray paint because it was the most cost-effective. But when I used this clear coat it turned the peice I sprayed grey after a few coats. Im looking for some help on how to clear coat this without turning it grey. I have 1 other clear coat i can try but im worried it will do the same. An i know if i leave it uncoated the chrome will be ruined in seconds. So if any of you have any advice or know of anything i can use, id really appreciate it.
16652712094281435939647400170088.jpg
16652712656485196498942597752942.jpg
16652711511442570549736136618565.jpg

It’s well known that all regular clearcoats dull metallic paint. What we(most of us) use is a true 2k clear coat like spraymax 2k from Amazon. It’s expensive but it’s a true 2k clear in a spray can. It has an inner container that pop and then have 24 to 48 hours to use

It’s well known that all regular clearcoats dull metallic paint. What we(most of us) use is a true 2k clear coat like spraymax 2k from Amazon. It’s expensive but it’s a true 2k clear in a spray can. It has an inner container that pop and then have 24 to 48 hours to use
Do you think it is okay to go over the chrome? From what I have seen people have just put that on the black undercoat.

Do you think it is okay to go over the chrome? From what I have seen people have just put that on the black undercoat.
Yeah so I used duralumin for my mando. Any chrome like alumaluster you do a black undercoat, 2k clear that. Spray your chrome, then use 2k over that to finish. The trick is using real 2k. Not that rustoleum “2k” stuff. You have to use the spraymax or a real automotive 2k that has a catalyst in it

Attachments

• 7891354C-B17B-401D-BDE8-D488BD414611.jpeg
    7891354C-B17B-401D-BDE8-D488BD414611.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 168
  • CFBEE867-E0AC-421D-B0D4-4A0FBFAEA886.jpeg
    CFBEE867-E0AC-421D-B0D4-4A0FBFAEA886.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 166
Yeah so I used duralumin for my mando. Any chrome like alumaluster you do a black undercoat, 2k clear that. Spray your chrome, then use 2k over that to finish. The trick is using real 2k. Not that rustoleum “2k” stuff. You have to use the spraymax or a real automotive 2k that has a catalyst in it
Okay thanks, an that Duralumin paint you used, was that also from a spray paint can. Cause I gotta say your armor looks amazing.

Okay thanks, an that Duralumin paint you used, was that also from a spray paint can. Cause I gotta say your armor looks amazing.
No it’s airbrush or hvlp spray only. I get it on Etsy, it’s a cost effective alternative to alumaluster. It’s very nice. You spray it just like alumaluster. You don’t need an expensive airbrush either, a cheap amazon version will do nocely.
This is my shoulder piece after weathering with black artist oils and coating the sigil with moloto chrome pen to make it stand out

Attachments

• C517FA0A-ADB6-49CC-903D-034B72E199E7.jpeg
    C517FA0A-ADB6-49CC-903D-034B72E199E7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
Here is a better shot to show how shiney it is. Spraymax also makes true 2k flat and satin to coat all sorts of stuff with the best protection. For example I coated an iron man suit in flat and it protected the paint amazingly

Attachments

• 58465F3C-261D-4B93-B226-EF56D36B5B5C.jpeg
    58465F3C-261D-4B93-B226-EF56D36B5B5C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
Here is a better shot to show how shiney it is. Spraymax also makes true 2k flat and satin to coat all sorts of stuff with the best protection. For example I coated an iron man suit in flat and it protected the paint amazingly
So do you recommend that I top coat my stuff in black then do the metal/chrome you did or do you think I can just put the glosscoat on my chrome as is

So do you recommend that I top coat my stuff in black then do the metal/chrome you did or do you think I can just put the glosscoat on my chrome as is
You can try to just spray the 2k over the chrome as is, give it about an hour to cure a bit and see if it helps, if not, go ahead and spray it black, top coat it with the 2k and spray your chrome then 2 k again. Contrary to popular beliefs, you can spray new coats over paint that hasn’t fully cured. I used rustoleum black for a base and sprayed the 2 k the same day, then the chrome the same day, then the 2k again and had no issues.
The layers just bond and dry together. Let it dry to the touch before spraying but otherwise you can spray the 2k and if it doesn’t return your chrome to looking good, you don’t have to waste that can, go ahead and repaint it all in one day

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back