Mike M.'s jango progress thread (update 12-15-19)

I'm going to shoot for having jango ready to go by this time next year. if things go well the parts I need will be made available, i.e. boots and blasters, and i'll be able to stick to my timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:
since i'm waiting on my mow jetpack to get here, and i need to make some money before i can order cruzer CC gaunts, i thought i'd try out making some parts of the armor myself. i plan on making the cod, thighs, shins, and boot armor out of sheet aluminium using the WoF templates. but before i jump in and start cutting on the alu, i figured i should make up a mock out of poster board just to make sure i've the the templates figured out.

so i started off with what i consider to be one of the more difficult pieces, the cod. after printing off the templates and getting them all taped and cut out i realized there were going to be some modifications necessary. i've seen plenty of people make really good armor using alans templates, but i'm always a little disappointed with the cod. it seems that most times they're just bent back at the bottom. i wanted something with a bit more "cupping;" i want a cod with the appearance of keeping the boys safe. so i cut up the templates and started making changes where i thought it would work best... i've got a better idea, i'll just show you guys.

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

DSC01798.jpg

any thoughts, comments, or criticisms? please share.

more stuff done on my way to jango.

i got a pair of boots, made my own gloves, and i finally got started on my armor.

first off the gloves. these started out life as a pair of ace hardware driving gloves, but about 20 minutes in royal blue rit dye and i think they look pretty dang good and will serve me well until i can find a pair of nordstroms.

DSC01809.jpg

next the boots, i kind of lucked into these. they had been languishing on the bhg for sale forums for just about a year, i'm surprised they didn't get posted in the cargo hold here long ago. but i got a sweet pair of bed stu's.

DSC01801.jpg

i know what i am capable of with making myself, and i'm doing up a good chunk of the armor for this out of sheet aluminum. i've been playing with WoF's jango templates in paper form and now i've drawn them out on the aluminum sheet and rough cut it. here's most of the cod, the thighs, and shins. i have to get another smaller sheet for the cup of the cod and the boot armor. my plan is to get at ace hardware again on monday for that. until then i've got some dremeling to do to get these cut a little better, and if i get done with that early i could start bending and folding what i have so far.

DSC01806.jpg

Great score on the boots man and the gloves have a great coloration to them. About gloves in general, wouldnt black be just as good? Reason I ask is i caught a pic of Disney's Jango (on my facebook site) at Star Wars Weekends who had black gloves and black hoses! Anyway, luck to ya on your build.

here goes with some more progress on cod, thighs, and shins. everything is fine cut and rough sanded (320 grit so far, going to up the grit after i give the insides a thin layer of fiberglass to give it a bit more rigidity). everything is held together with masking tape right now. i'm going to the hardware store later today to find a good epoxy for aluminum.

DSC01818.jpg

and here is a box of flash i'm showing off as my WIP.

DSC01819.jpg

part of me really wishes i made this out of stainless steel so i could use a big ol' magnet to help clean things up.

Looks great St. Nasty! In honor of the greatest man on this message board:

I say! Sniff on my dear brother! Sniff on!

That looks great! What tools did you use to shape the Aluminum? How thick are the Aluminum sheets?

they're not very thick, .025, i don't know what gauge that equates to. but the tools i used were a pair of tin snips for rough cuts; a dremel with cutoff wheels for fine cutting (i learned that you don't need to cut all the way through with the dremel, just get a good score line going with it and then you can snap the rest of the flash off with your hands or a pair of pliers.); then along the lines that i need to bend i would lightly score it with a box/utility knife (because that's made of stainless steel it's harder than the aluminum and cuts through quite easily.); and small flat head hammer with a block of wood to help bend the edges; and finally i used my hands for getting the shapes correct. a few extra items you may want around while you're working on this is a good pair of gloves because aluminum is sharp when it's cut with snips and gets hot when you're running a dremel over it, a face shield cuz snips or dremel you don't want to run the risk of something flying into your face or eyes, a mouse sander because you will find a use for it sooner or later. i foolishly bought an angle grinder that i didn't need just for this project, i'm going to keep it because i know i will figure out some project that it will be perfect for.

hey bro ,on the gloves i bougth some brown
plether ones ,and spreyed them with interior car paint .and they look brtter then what you did, the paint actually stays just give it ( mist coats) until its done , let the first coat dry ,then spray the other one hope this helps.OH its vynal paint.:cheers

Wow!! looking good! I am wanting to go all alum on my Jango. this will help a lot!! look forward to updates...

wow, i was just thinking about this thread this morning. i've got a ton of updates for it. i need to still take a few pictures, but look forward to some stuff soon.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back