here's a small update. a while back i did up a helmet for a member here, and when it was done i like it so much that i just had to go and completely re-do my jango bucket. so i got out the mouse sander with the 220 grit and really got after it, dug in deep to get under the top layer with the imperfections, all the little pits and globs in the CC, and took off the original paint job. i went through the sanding process again 400, 800, and 1000 grit wetsanding in the shower (cuz that's the best place to wetsand), put down some fresh paint, got the meguiers chrome polish out and took that to it, and finally got some brushes and acrylic paint for some weathering. but enough talk, let's get to the pics.
i even got the chucko helmet skirt installed. all that's left to do now is to pad the interior again and this helmet will be ready.
the visor is held in with chicago screws (also known as sexbolts), you can usually find them at ace hardware (or lowes or home depot, but i prefer ace), just ask one of the old guy's that's been working there since right after he got back from WWII and knows everything about every possible home improvement project and he'll take you right to them. i use five when installing a visor, one in the center top, two on either side of the squint, and two near the bottom of the of the mandibles (though you'll have to shave down the sides of the bolt posts on those two so they fit in the small space on between the lower cheek and the mandible without).
Saint - The WWII Ace Hardware guys are awesome! Total old school. My house was built in 1927 and anytime it needs anything...."Ace is the Place!" I got a load of parts for my EPIII Vader there as well, here in Long Beach, CA.
after looking at it for months now, i got started on my kamino/classic jetpack. so far i have the main fuselage painted up, and here's a few shots of the progress. this is a MoW v2 classic pack and it's a thing of beauty. it's so easy to work with, there was very little sanding involved aside from the seam lines, and no filling needed. i highly recommend this pack to anyone
so after cleaning up the seams and priming it i dug out all the paints i used on my boba rotj pack and got to work. the order i put the colors down was yellow, blue, red, white, black. and with each of the colors i put in a little bit of another color to make it appear a little used, i call it pre-weathering.
the yellow had a bit of orange and brown misted over it in places. the yellow was majic tractor & implement spray enamel caterpillar yellow; the orange mist was colorplace (walmart brand) um... orange, i guess i took the sticker off it; and the brown was krylon leather brown gloss
then the blue was actually three different blues. the main blue was colorplace royal blue; then along the edges i misted it with rustoleum royal blue (yes they are very different blues); then i did an overall mist of krylon fusion blue hyacinth to give it a worn in look.
after that i forgot to take pictures for a little bit but i'll give you guys the color breakdown. the red was krylon satin touch burgundy, it's the same color i used for the visor/mandibles on my rotj boba helmet; and i misted more of the krylon brown i mentioned earlier in the corners and edges. the white was rustoleum satin white misted with colorplace almond to take down the blinding white; then a little more of the brown up in the corners. and then the black was just colorplace satin black.
so here's where it's at right now. i still have plenty more weathering to do by hand very soon, as well as to paint the rocket and thrusters, more to come on those soon.
i should take a pic of the huge ball of tape i pulled off that i used to mask the sections.
this thread has been sadly neglected! so here's something new: gauntlets. like so many of the costume parts i get i sit on them forever then suddenly i get inspired to work on them one day. and i've been puttering around with this jango long enough, my goal is to troop the Star Wars: The Old Republic release in my jango, so i have a little over a month to put it all together AND continue to work on painting commissions.
i did the initial sanding sometime back in 2010, but today i got started on assembly. it took about six hours to get them to this point, i still need to sand them with 1000 grit then metal polish and weather them. there are a few spots that will need to be rub'n'buffed since i did go through the cold cast layer in a few spots
here's where it was as of yesterday. since then i've put on the back plate and shoulder bells.
i know there's more space between the bottom of the armor and the top of the belts than shown in reference pictures, but i have a long torso and i'll need to shift some internal organs and bone structure to bring the cod up much higher.