Mando helmet -Rustoleum Metallic paint test

Mandotog

New Hunter
I'm 3d printing my helmet now, should be done this week. Next step is to identify the proper paint color and brand of paint to use.

I do have a full set of air brushing gear but have never taken the time to learn how to use it. If I can find a rattle can that is a good match on color I'll keep it simple and go that route.

These 3 cans came from the local Menards. The metallic paint is about double the cost of the standard stuff. I will spray on some test coats tonight and tomorrow and get some screenshots up for people to see the differences.

paint test.jpg

Terrible lighting there, let me get some test coats on some scrap PLA and we'll see what it looks like. If neither are quite right I may try mixing the two on the right together and then airbrushing the combined paint.

spyder918 - you are right about those style spray cans, they are very different from a normal rattle can, less aerosol feeling and more of a spray bottle/windex style if that makes any sense.

Image of the results is below, not sure if the lighting is enough to get a sense of what they looked like but the executive summary is that the "normal" can of paint was much too dark, almost dark bronze. Of the two metallic spray bottle styles, the "dark steel" is really more of a silver, and it looks very good but is too light straight out of the can. The "soft iron" looks closer to the tv show but is too dark right out of the can.

I've got two options in mind to try out next. I ordered some graphite and will try the method they demonstrate in this video:

https://www.punishedprops.com/2018/12/17/metallic-finish-swords/

I'll take the dark steel base coat, then rub the graphite over the top and buff it out. In theory that should darken the initial silver just enough to match the effect from the show. I'll post photos when done, the graphite arrives tomorrow.

If that doesn't work out, I'll try mixing the dark steel and the soft iron paints together and apply with an airbrush.

paint test 2.jpg

I used Rustoleum Chrome and got this affect. I had just sanded back a gray primer layer, so it hasn't been painted beneath. These images are right after being painted so it is still a bit wet (hence the 'dimple' look on close inspection)

I've since sanded it back, and am attempting a 'Charcoal Gray gloss' undercoat, with the same chrome on top. I'll report back with the results.
All rustoleum brand/colors that you find at walmart

I used Rustoleum Chrome and got this affect. I had just sanded back a gray primer layer, so it hasn't been painted beneath. These images are right after being painted so it is still a bit wet (hence the 'dimple' look on close inspection)

I've since sanded it back, and am attempting a 'Charcoal Gray gloss' undercoat, with the same chrome on top. I'll report back with the results.
All rustoleum brand/colors that you find at walmart
Try rubbing a bit of graphite onto that and see how it looks

Watched the video with the graphite method...seems to me, like he said in the video, with the proper base coat and right metallic paint, the graphite looks the best. That sword looked SICK! I feel like that's the shiny-but-dirty look that the helmet has.

Yes definitely will. I have the helmet primed with filler primer and have been sanding it down every night, getting close to hitting it with the silver and then the graphite rub. I tried taking pictures of the sample piece and it was just too small to see any detail.

Watched the video with the graphite method...seems to me, like he said in the video, with the proper base coat and right metallic paint, the graphite looks the best. That sword looked SICK! I feel like that's the shiny-but-dirty look that the helmet has.

Do you have a link to the video?

Any update? I’m dying to know how the graphite worked! From the pics I’ve seen of the Anovos Mando, I’m not too impressed with the finish. I’m thinking yours is gonna turn out better.

I'm still sanding and bondoing my main helmet but I don't want to leave you hanging so I ran a test today with a spare quarter panel. Pics below:

graphite.jpg

Just the rustoleum paint:

helmet 3.jpg

helmet 2.jpg

helmet1.jpg

This was a scrap piece with a few layers of filler primer and some rough sanding done, nothing fancy. I think the colors look fantastic. The base silver looks really nice but way too shiny and new looking. The graphite really takes that shine down and gives it the gunmetal grey effect.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back