intwenothor's accurate ESB interior thread.

I think I used 3mm or 4mm nylon cord. I remember I bought several samples of different thickness but can't recall which one I went within the end. I want to say 3mm. I'm pretty sure I felt 2mm was too thin and 5mm was definitely too thick.
Thank you

Wow! How did you even find this thread!!!

Interior was put on hold whilst painting the exterior. Easier to handle the helmet without all the stuff rattling about inside.

haha was searching for the interior with the proper cradle and chin cup! surely, you've have to make some progress over the past couple years??

Yes, some made on painting the exterior. Much of the intervening time was spent trying to acquire those tiny bottles of vintage floquil. One of the most important colours only acquired in January! Someone once described vintage floquil as the trench warfare of found parts; he was right, as he was about most things related to Fett!

Great build! I'm looking to do the same when my Hero Lid from MF arrives :) Two questions:

Did you glue in the liner already?
Somebody (with access to the LFL archive) told me that this liner was used only for SE but not for ESB or RotJ. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Great build! I'm looking to do the same when my Hero Lid from MF arrives :) Two questions:

Did you glue in the liner already?
Somebody (with access to the LFL archive) told me that this liner was used only for SE but not for ESB or RotJ. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

The truth is that I simply do not know. Certainly this cradle was in it when efx had it and obviously it was in that photo, which is relatively old but post filming. The ROTJ helmet originally had a piece of open cell foam taped in but latterly had the same type of cradle attached. This same item has also been seen in ROTJ Stormtrooper helmets. My suspicion is that this photo was taken in the early 90s or late 80s; it was the photo that was available to me when trying to recreate this aspect.

It is not yet glued in. As previously stated, it is easier to handle the item for painting without a load of stuff inside the helmet. I did make a minor adjustment to the cradle some time after the latest photo of it to change the leather padding forehead band.

Thanks, Andy. Yes, I've noticed that the RotJ TKs had them as well and they were also glued in (which I found a bit unusual). I've just ordered a really inexpensive construction helmet on ebay that has quite a similiar liner I plan to use. The only thing I'll need to change is the webbing against a 19mm herringbone nylon webbing and it should be just like the original.

Thanks, Andy. Yes, I've noticed that the RotJ TKs had them as well and they were also glued in (which I found a bit unusual). I've just ordered a really inexpensive construction helmet on ebay that has quite a similiar liner I plan to use. The only thing I'll need to change is the webbing against a 19mm herringbone nylon webbing and it should be just like the original.

The only other thing worth mentioning is the construction of the cradle itself. The model used on both the ESB and ROTJ helmet has the webbing tape threaded directly through the detachable plastic delta shapes that detach from the headband. If you look at post #5 this will make more sense.

I have had a fair number of different models of climbing helmet even since this thread was first posted. I have had some that were very early, which are always the closest, but in every case the webbing is attached to those little delta shapes by a small vinyl tab. I've never managed to find a model in which the webbing tape passes directly through the plastic in the configuration seen on the Boba Helmets. All of these climbing helmets seem to date from the mid 70s onwards. I recently found this same type of helmet cradle on something that dated from the 50s or 60s. The tape was not black, it was white, but crucially the tape does pass directly through the deltas without further littel vinyl tabs attached.

Helmet.jpg
ROTJ stormy.jpg

The helmet pre and post Empire had only the chin cup and some taped in foam (we have only the ROTJ helmet as proof). I assume that in the pre production of ROTJ they added the cradle to the ESB and ROTJ helmets, as this film included some stunt scenes and the helmet had to stay in place. Because initially (from what we assume here on TDH) they wanted to use the ESB helmet for ROTJ, the helmet was cast and at least 2 stunt helmets were produced. Because the hero helmet was damaged before or during the casting process they changed it with the ROTJ one.

This is what I'll be using (might change the foam for one with yellow color later):

liner_BF.jpg

The helmet pre and post Empire had only the chin cup and some taped in foam (we have only the ROTJ helmet as proof). I assume that in the pre production of ROTJ they added the cradle to the ESB and ROTJ helmets, as this film included some stunt scenes and the helmet had to stay in place. Because initially (from what we assume here on TDH) they wanted to use the ESB helmet for ROTJ, the helmet was cast and at least 2 stunt helmets were produced. Because the hero helmet was damaged before or during the casting process they changed it with the ROTJ one.

Interesting...do you have an image of the RotJ foam (liner)?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back