I need a Little Help...

LupineSojourner

New Hunter
So I'm trying to build a cosplay of a Mandalorian OC I want to bring to Tik Tok. I have a soft PVC (I believe) Mandalorian Helmet I was hoping to shape and paint so I can use it.
BUT.
I only have a hair dryer currently. I may be about to borrow a heat gun if needed, but my question is this. Are there any tips for shaping it? And getting it to stay in that shape? I'm new to all this and would really appreciate any tips people have?

You can heat it up enough with a hair dryer. Using a heat gun may end up being too hot and melting it.

The method I like to use is dipping in a pot of boiling water and then correcting the shape and quenching under cold water to hold the shape. Just work one area at a time and go slowly. I’ve used this to fix warps in pvc helmets, fibreglass parts as well as 3D prints.

You can be also glue in a trim ring at the base of the helmet on the inside to help it retain its shape.

Awesome!! Thank you so much! I kinda jerryrigged a mold and am gonna blast it with the hair dryer, let it cool, then maybe blast it again. I've got plenty of cardboard if that's what you mean for a support ring.
Can I ask what you would suggest as some padding for the inside so it sits better on my head?

I don’t think cardboard will hold its shape. You can buy a piece of aluminum from the hardware store about 1/16” thick and bend by hand. Glue in with some E6000

For padding you can buy replacement pads for a sports helmet pretty cheaply.

This is what I used although I have since repositioned the pads

Attachments

• 512DF716-24B2-4642-9B8B-79629DD103F9.jpeg
    512DF716-24B2-4642-9B8B-79629DD103F9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 233
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back