How To Display?

B0B4F3TT

Hunter
Hi guys. I'm new to this group so please forgive me if its been covered already. I have searched the forums and cant find it mentioned. That said, how do you guys display your complete build, mannequin ? Other shop display dummy ? Specially made item with articulating arms and hands? Whats the best way and is there currently anyone supplying them ? Thanks in advance.

I am personally not displaying armor at all, but a couple of guys use mannequins. Take a look at this here thread:

Moreover, one could always choose to display various bits and pieces of the costume. Some ideas:
  • Helmet stand for helmet
  • Hang blaster on wall
  • Blaster stand for on-shelf-display
  • Hang Jetpack on wall
  • Put jetpack in guitar stand
  • You could also fairly easily build a sort of "bust" display for only the helmet and flak vest with the armor attached. Thatd look cool while not needing so much space.

I keep my painted helmets in a glass case and use my mannequin build to display my Fett and eFx helmet. In this picture my superjedi is on it.

1616589396216.png

Check "posable mannequin" on amazon. There is a black, cloth covered 6 foot posable mannequin that is pretty standard for most serious costume displays. Its perfect in that it is posable, black(so any gaps look proffessional) and totally covered in a soft cloth so it won't scratch or Mar surfaces. They are pricey, round 175 bucks plus 50 for shipping but there is nothing better.
Lots of standard hard plastic mannequins have ubsutsible body types and leg widths for use with armored suits. The cloth posable mannequins are the very best!

Check "posable mannequin" on amazon. There is a black, cloth covered 6 foot posable mannequin that is pretty standard for most serious costume displays. Its perfect in that it is posable, black(so any gaps look proffessional) and totally covered in a soft cloth so it won't scratch or Mar surfaces. They are pricey, round 175 bucks plus 50 for shipping but there is nothing better.
Lots of standard hard plastic mannequins have ubsutsible body types and leg widths for use with armored suits. The cloth posable mannequins are the very best!
Brilliant. Thankyou. I knew i was in the right place when i joined this group

If you're planning on having your mannequin holding your blaster or having the jetpack on it might be a good idea to search for mannequins that are made out of fiberglass.

The poseable mannequins have issues with holding weight if their joints can't be locked into place.

I would suggest not ordering that mannequin for a Fett costume. Here is a less-than-enthusiastic review:
I have 10 of these mannequins with various characters and I am sorry I bought them. I was even thinking of saying "I have some you could buy". I was sucked in by the ability to "pose". The stand looks ugly coming out the back and the legs buckle to the sides with any weight on them. I wish I would have went with a basic black muscular mannequin. The poses aren't that sweet anyway. They are limited and don't look natural.

I decided against ordering one, but I did order a pair of the arms to try on a regular fiberglass mannequin so it could hold the blaster. It didn’t work too well, the wire is only slightly stronger than a clothes hanger and can’t support much weight at all.

Hmmm good points, I have yet to display a fett costume on one. What I have done though, being an iron man suit builder, check out making your own pvc mannequin. You can find plans on Google and the Iron man builders fb page. They are stout, and as long as you leave certain joints unglued, just preassure fit, they work very well. And are super cheap.
You use the pvc as a skeleton, using the t shapes and 45 degree joints and 90 degree joints for all kinds of poses. Pad them with upholstery foam and ductape and bam, a cheap, strong and posable mannequin

If you're planning on having your mannequin holding your blaster or having the jetpack on it might be a good idea to search for mannequins that are made out of fiberglass.

The poseable mannequins have issues with holding weight if their joints can't be locked into place.
Noted. Thankyou pal.

I am still working on my build but I purchased a mannequin for $75 on Amazon and modified it a bit. I’m 5’6” tall and added 2” inserts inside the boots. With the inserts and helmet, I come in at between 5’9” and 5’10” when fully suited up. Because of my height and the jumpsuit dimensions, I bought a female mannequin. I used my Dremel and removed the breasts then covered the holes with duct tape so the chest armor would fit right.

The hands on the original mannequin had fused together fingers so the gloves didn’t fit well. To fix that, I purchased some moveable, flexible mannequin hands, dremeled off the bases, and cut off the mannequin’s original hands just above the wrists. Since the mannequin arms are hollow, the poseable hands just slide in and stay in place quite well. I’m much happier with the way the gloves look after this modification. I’m also considering cutting the arms at the elbows and connecting them with stiff wires/coat hangers so I can pose the arms differently.

One thing I don’t like is the way the female mannequin has one leg/hip forward but I plan to experiment and see what I can do to modify that as well. Of course if you’re taller and can just get a male mannequin, that wouldn’t be an issue. I also wouldn’t even try putting the jetpack on so I just have it sitting on a guitar stand next to BF. I am going to hang the EE-3 on the wall but haven't gotten to that yet.

Overall, I’m happy with the turnout and am really glad to have my build on display. I also have a stormtrooper on another mannequin and will be moving him in from the garage to stand in this alcove as well.

These pics were just taken tonight.

BF 4-13-21a.JPG

BF_4-13-21b.JPG

I am still working on my build but I purchased a mannequin for $75 on Amazon and modified it a bit. I’m 5’6” tall and added 2” inserts inside the boots. With the inserts and helmet, I come in at between 5’9” and 5’10” when fully suited up. Because of my height and the jumpsuit dimensions, I bought a female mannequin. I used my Dremel and removed the breasts then covered the holes with duct tape so the chest armor would fit right.

The hands on the original mannequin had fused together fingers so the gloves didn’t fit well. To fix that, I purchased some moveable, flexible mannequin hands, dremeled off the bases, and cut off the mannequin’s original hands just above the wrists. Since the mannequin arms are hollow, the poseable hands just slide in and stay in place quite well. I’m much happier with the way the gloves look after this modification. I’m also considering cutting the arms at the elbows and connecting them with stiff wires/coat hangers so I can pose the arms differently.

One thing I don’t like is the way the female mannequin has one leg/hip forward but I plan to experiment and see what I can do to modify that as well. Of course if you’re taller and can just get a male mannequin, that wouldn’t be an issue. I also wouldn’t even try putting the jetpack on so I just have it sitting on a guitar stand next to BF. I am going to hang the EE-3 on the wall but haven't gotten to that yet.

Overall, I’m happy with the turnout and am really glad to have my build on display. I also have a stormtrooper on another mannequin and will be moving him in from the garage to stand in this alcove as well.

These pics were just taken tonight.

View attachment 210028

View attachment 210029
Thats some effort you made there! And with the Jetpack and the Blaster on the floor, it even creates a sort of "scene" - Boba suiting up or in his armory. Fitting for display in a living room!

Thats an amazing looking build, if mines half as good as yours ill be happy. Thanks bro. Just laughing to myself at the thought of random body parts in your trash bin lol.

Thats an amazing looking build, if mines half as good as yours ill be happy. Thanks bro. Just laughing to myself at the thought of random body parts in your trash bin lol.
Thank you very much! LOL that you mentioned that because I actually took a pic of the cut off hands and hand bases then went into a clear plastic bag before being thrown in the trash bin. Granted, this is the bag that the new hands came in but it's still pretty comical and somewhat twisted at the same time.

IMG_8378.JPG

What did you use for the yellow accents on the chest and stomach armour, it looks kinda gold but spot on at the same time ?
I wish I did that part. The only things I painted were the jetpack, the sidearm (not in these photos) and some additional weathering on the jumpsuit. The main armor pieces were painted by Boba Maker, who also supplied all of the armor, except for the gauntlets and shin tools that were painted by BH-51512.

I used the suggested colour but it didnt look right so i shot it again with fresh paint. He does good work boba maker, im currently waiting on some stuff from him but he did say it would be a while so its all good. Thanks.

I used the suggested colour but it didnt look right so i shot it again with fresh paint. He does good work boba maker, im currently waiting on some stuff from him but he did say it would be a while so its all good. Thanks.
I was lucky enough to get my order in with Boba Maker in August, before the post-Mandalorian rush. It still took until mid-January to get the parts in the mail but well worth the wait.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back