FirstCoastFett's Beskar Build

Flight suit from Mike at Darkside Closet. Absolutely beautiful work! If you're looking for soft goods, I highly recommend them! Very friendly, decent turnaround time and accurate. This fabric will take quite a bit of breaking in...
IMG_20210208_173547_820.jpg
IMG_20210208_173547_834.jpg

Next up... the piece I was most excited about painting: the right thigh!
FB_IMG_1616542046182.jpg

Painted with Montana Gold chestnut

20210314_144940.jpg

Wasn't thrilled with the beskar blob, so I made my own using epoxy putty. Stuff has a short window before it gets hard, so I went a few pieces at a time, blending over each piece like clay sculpting. Trying to get a close to the reference photos I could find.

20210312_185051.jpg

Primed. Again.

IMG_20210313_110949_055.jpg

Resprayed with the chestnut. Added the damage topically with chrome silver, neutral gray and gray/black. Weathered with light brown and gray acrylic washes.

20210316_173121.jpg

I didn't bother masking anything off. I airbrushed on the "charred side" with Vallejo black, carefully going around the overlapping bits of beskar on the front strip, and around the blast mark on the other thigh.

From there, I hand painted the damage with chrome silver. When it was finished, I dry brushed plain silver acrylic to break up the flat part and give it a little more depth.

Finished the beskar blob and damaged section with a graphite powder rub.

20210318_110715.jpg

Primed pieces, finished with flat black, specifically Duplicolor Hot Rod black primer. Still waiting on a few other pieces. But everything is coming along
IMG_20210310_163305_547.jpg

Helmet progress: cut out the visor, measured and epoxy putty the 1/4" Chicago screws
20210321_172254.jpg

Spray painted the inside black, masked off and did about two coats of filler primer.

IMG_20210323_153016_499.jpg

20210323_153523.jpg

Going to let dry. My ear caps are finished, but I broke the tips off the ear bases. When they're here, I'll affix them to the helmet and using wood filler eliminate the seams. More to come!

Having issues with the chest over the cape not sitting flush. The overlapping right side was causing a gap between the armor and vest. Fixed that issue with N52 magnets. Hot glue to hold them in place, epoxy putty to secure them*

20210408_173318.jpg

After the epoxy cured, I put the vest on and lined up the chest. Popped on the corresponding magnets under the vest and took it off. Outlined the magnets with a sharpie and took everything apart. Hot glued the magnets in place

20210408_165347.jpg

Once glued in place, I added hot glue around each magnet. Took some iron on patches and sealed around the magnets. These aren't going anywhere

20210408_173229.jpg

So after my first test fit, the magnets were strong enough I didn't need the industrial strength velcro. So I removed the two large strips from the back of the chest armor. Fits perfect every time.

Had to figure out how to keep my ammo rounds from slipping out of my belt. O rings, rubber bands, hot glue weren't working. But with a little bit of engineering... problem solved.

Tightly wrapped electrical tape around the center

20210409_165606.jpg

Then took industrial strength velcro and super glued onto the tape

20210409_173112.jpg

Then took the fuzzy side velcro and super glued them into the ammo holders

20210409_173129.jpg

Inserted the rounds with velcro facing away, twisting the rounds so the velcro catches. Even with the little slivers of velcro in place, anyone knows it's a challenge to pull velcro apart up or down instead of peeling apart. These will stay securely in place.

20210409_173208.jpg

LOVE all the tips you've been posting, man - especially the patch on the cape hole and the velcro solution for the ammo rounds! Gonna steal both of those!

For the weathering on the ammo, I'm gonna try Aluminum Black - I've had some great success with that while weathering my Fieldmarshal Bergman blaster.

Question: With the N52 magnets - what size did you use? Do you think this method could be used for the thigh armor?

LOVE all the tips you've been posting, man - especially the patch on the cape hole and the velcro solution for the ammo rounds! Gonna steal both of those!

For the weathering on the ammo, I'm gonna try Aluminum Black - I've had some great success with that while weathering my Fieldmarshal Bergman blaster.

Question: With the N52 magnets - what size did you use? Do you think this method could be used for the thigh armor?
Thanks man! I found 5/8" x 1/8" magnets on a website called Total Element. As strong as the magnets are, with walking, kneeling or bending down, I'd be nervous they'd pop off. Much more movement allowed in this costume. My armor is fiberglass, so I wouldn't think it would cause any stress taking them off. Something to consider, but you would be ok. Worst case scenario, I'd glue a 2"x2" square of industrial strength velcro to the center in case the magnets failed for whatever reason, the armor would stay on- and the magnets would reattach themselves.

As for the weathering, I've used acrylics for everything. I'll weather the ammo rounds more now that they're in place.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back