ESB Build

intwenothor

Well-Known Hunter
I often feel like everyone has a build thread except for me so I thought I'd start one to keep everything in one place from now on. It'll be the usual glacial pace I expect; every time I think I've got something sorted I end up not being happy and starting over.

1). Boots.

These are the later MOW boots. I had a set of his earlier ones but the rounded toe wasn't ideally suited for the toespikes. I coloured these with various acrylic paints and inks. The toespikes were made using genuine Michell parts with plates fashioned by Sidewinder. This photo was taken before some considerable scuffing was added. Still need to weather those spikes.

IMG_1108-973x571.jpg

2). Sidearm and Holster.

I'm not finished with this yet because I still need to paint the gun and cover the hole. I'll probably use Floquil Zinc primer as the base colour. Darth Vorhees and Fettpride have already posted directions about removing the trigger mechanism bar so I'll not repeat that but it's pretty easy. The holster is a pretty unpleasant material to work. I will say that the hole in the bottom need to be pretty large, far larger than I thought it would need to be, and even then the thing is snug in there. I was fortunate enough to get the version with the fully integrated non ribbed strap.

IMG_1425-973x660.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Looking good. How did you apply the weathering to the boots? I used a wet weathering technique with an air brush, but it didn't seem to get those areas to the right and left of the black stripe as well as you did. Looks like you used a brush, which is probably the way to go.

Looking good. How did you apply the weathering to the boots? I used a wet weathering technique with an air brush, but it didn't seem to get those areas to the right and left of the black stripe as well as you did. Looks like you used a brush, which is probably the way to go.

I did use a brush. I mainly used several of the colours I used from painting my helmet interior plus some aged concrete (I think) and some dark brown ink. I kept the whole of the boots pretty wet when colouring them so the colours would blend. When I scuffed them, which isn't seen here, I used some fine grit sandpaper. After that I did some pottering around the garden whilst wearing them to dull that scuffing down with some real dirt so it didn't just show through white. The original boots appear to have started all white but I didn't fancy buying another pair of MOW boots just to replicate that first although it did cross my mind.

This is going to be good!(y)

Subscribed...

I suspect this is going to be slow; short bursts of activity followed by months of inaction is the cut of my jib although I am hoping my own build thread might make me pull my finger out a bit... hoping.

I'll probably be moving slower than you are lol so I feel ya man! (y)
Yeah, I dunno. It's been a decade and more but all I really have is a collection of parts. Every time I think I'm done with a part of the costume I tend to end up revisiting it. That's the beauty of found parts; they can't be upgraded.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back