ESB Boba Fett Helmet - Scratch Build WIP

Tom Walker

New Hunter
Hello everyone!

I’m fairly new to the forum, but have found it to be a wealth of knowledge!

I’m building an ESB Boba Fett helmet. I’ve decided to go down the scratch building method, as I like a challenge. Only after I started and spent some time on here, I realised how many little details and features make the relativity simple looking helmet what it is.

Here is my progress so far:

Initial cardboard model to get a rough size and shape.

A coat of resin, a few scrapes of body filler and a standard "look what I'm making" photo.

Refining a few details with some 1mm foamex.

I drew up the ear details and 3D printed them.

A few coats of primer and I started on the dent. I cut the dent shape out with a drill and dremel, then build it back in with slices of 1mm foamex. The forehead arrows were engraved in with a dremel.

The rangefinder top was drawn up and 3D printed like the ears. The stalk was cut on a CNC router at my work. The top of the RF is in 3 parts to allow me to cast the 'perspex block' in clear resin.

Though not installed yet, I turned the borden connector on a lathe ready for moulding and casting

This is the helmet as it stands at the moment (sorry for low res phone pics). I still need to add the little cheek rectangle and sharpen up a few parts, but thought it would be good to get some constructive criticism before going any further.

Please be gentle!

Hello everyone!

I’m fairly new to the forum, but have found it to be a wealth of knowledge!

I’m building an ESB Boba Fett helmet. I’ve decided to go down the scratch building method, as I like a challenge. Only after I started and spent some time on here, I realised how many little details and features make the relativity simple looking helmet what it is.

Here is my progress so far:

View attachment 175617

View attachment 175618

Initial cardboard model to get a rough size and shape.

View attachment 175619

View attachment 175620

A coat of resin, a few scrapes of body filler and a standard "look what I'm making" photo.

View attachment 175621

View attachment 175622

Refining a few details with some 1mm foamex.

View attachment 175623

I drew up the ear details and 3D printed them.

View attachment 175624

View attachment 175625

View attachment 175626

View attachment 175627

A few coats of primer and I started on the dent. I cut the dent shape out with a drill and dremel, then build it back in with slices of 1mm foamex. The forehead arrows were engraved in with a dremel.

View attachment 175628

The rangefinder top was drawn up and 3D printed like the ears. The stalk was cut on a CNC router at my work. The top of the RF is in 3 parts to allow me to cast the 'perspex block' in clear resin.

View attachment 175629

Though not installed yet, I turned the borden connector on a lathe ready for moulding and casting

View attachment 175630

View attachment 175631

View attachment 175632

View attachment 175633

View attachment 175634

This is the helmet as it stands at the moment (sorry for low res phone pics). I still need to add the little cheek rectangle and sharpen up a few parts, but thought it would be good to get some constructive criticism before going any further.

Please be gentle!

That is a great looking helmet. I'm new to the forum, though I periodically have read it. I am staring my own helmet and I was wondering how long it took you ( hours ) to reach the spot where you are at.

Thanks! and welcome to the forum! :)

I was wondering how long it took you ( hours ) to reach the spot where you are at.

This took me about a month working on it for a few hours a night and at weekends so probably 30-40 hours to get it to this stage...

I actually posted this thread in the wrong section (oops!) so haven't updated it... If you want to see the rest of this build please see my other (up to date) thread: ESB Boba Fett Helmet - Scratch Build - Pic Heavy!

Best of luck with your helmet! (y)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back