Artakha's (formerly Le1120) Second Cardboard Helmet Scratch Build -- WIP

And with some more brown primer on. Close, but still many small things to take care of.

P1120116.jpg

P1120118.JPG

P1120119.JPG

Loooookin' gooooooooood

- - - Updated - - -

Have you posted this on the rpf yet?

Thanks man. I haven't yet, though maybe now's the time. Could probably get some pointers with the molding and casting stuff if not the helmet itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally found similar enough shots of an actual helmet and mine to make a decent comparison. PP3, then mine. Its getting so close...I completely blame the similarity of my helmet to the actual thing on RafalFett's great templates and measurements, which my helmet is completely based on. Many thanks Raf!

Screenshot 2016-09-03 22.40.52.png

Screenshot 2016-09-03 22.40.24.png

That's so cool. My goal is to do a scratch helmet build after my deadline on the costume is done. I'm looking forward to it and being able to take my time and enjoy that learning process.
I'm proud for you the way yours has turned out!

So the parts from Shapeways arrived! Many thanks to RafalFett for the amazing files and help with fixing some of them for printing purposes! The dental expander pieces are for my gauntlet project, but the others will be molded and casted for the helmet (but probably not the rangefinder). Expecting a couple other parts to show up sometime later.

P1120259.jpgP1120263.jpg

Finally got my rangefinder from Shapeways. The gray colored parts being the upper left ear and the cap are done by my printer, temporary until I can get the Shapeways ones sorted out and done.

Anyways, here it is with everything slapped on!

P1120279.jpg

P1120277_2.jpg

P1120290.jpg

P1120285.jpg

P1120280.jpg

P1120276_2.jpg

Man that thing just looks sick! I'm hoping to embark on the scratch build helmet project after Halloween. Just seeing your updates gets me fired up to start. The end result is looking great!

Looks amazing

Read and re-read the entire thread. Amazing build le1120! That thing is smooooooooooth :love

Man that thing just looks sick! I'm hoping to embark on the scratch build helmet project after Halloween. Just seeing your updates gets me fired up to start. The end result is looking great!

Thanks guys. It means a lot.

I finally did some mold making for the detail pieces and got some fine pulls so this is progressing.

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG (the green one is the bad one so don't look at it too hard :p )

THAT is truly beyond impressive! Thanks for sharing all the photos and play by play. Trying to make my own girth belt doesn't seem so daunting now! Lol

yup, adding to the list of compliments! props! well done.

Thanks guys. Means a lot.

HEY BUT MOLDING HAS BEGUN!!

Okay so here I have my rebound 25 silicone...(part B)

IMG_1293.JPG

Already had the helmet sealed up...(its not all gray because I did some last minute changes and the sealant is clear)
(also hating that the photos refuse to orient correctly)
IMG_1290.JPG

Then the first coat...

IMG_1297.JPGIMG_1300.JPGIMG_1301.JPG

Okay, so far so good.

Second coat the next day, thickened with Thi-Vex.

IMG_1322.JPGIMG_1321.JPG

Well, so this coat never properly cured. I later found out that I shouldn't have compensated for the Thi-Vex, thus making for an imbalanced mix of A + B. Simple mistake I guess.

I decided to put on a third coat over this and see what happened.

IMG_1338.JPGIMG_1339.JPG

Well, it fully cured in some areas, but was still tacky in much of the place. (I put the keys for the mother-mold on funny for the purposes of amusement, Darth Fett-Maul)

I figured a fourth layer would fix the rest, and I didn't add any Thi-Vex to this one. I can safely report that it is not tacky in the least. We shall see how the mold performs, but seems good so far.

IMG_1346.JPGIMG_1345.JPGIMG_1344.JPGIMG_1343.JPGIMG_1347.JPG

Somehow I will never get over thinking of these molds as 'mummies made of orange sorbet'. Seems about accurate too.

Next, I shall make the mother-mold. Hoping to have a casting by tomorrow night!

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

fullsizeoutput_759.jpeg

So! The mother-mold got made. I used Smooth-on's Freeform Air, which i didn't layer on thickly enough, as I found out later. Nonetheless it worked great!

IMG_1355.JPGIMG_1370.JPGIMG_1371.JPG

Once fully cured (24 hours later) I opened it up and got my master back. (inverted mold in comparison to master)

IMG_1405.JPGIMG_1407.JPGIMG_1411.JPG

I promptly got ready to cast, and got my first helmet!!

IMG_1435.JPGIMG_1420.JPGIMG_1421.JPGIMG_1422.JPG

That one I decided to have some fun with for Halloween purposes, since I didn't have time to do a proper paint up of any sort. (I left the ear pieces off on purpose)

Initial:
IMG_1462.JPG

Next to master and another casting:
IMG_1477.JPG

A friend got a photo of me at a party, with the additions I added later on:

fullsizeoutput_777.jpeg

I also developed a ESB version of my helmet, (not done with it yet) that has some of the warped features, especially the flair (ESB on the left, compared to the usual on the right):

Any thoughts?
fullsizeoutput_778.jpeg

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

fullsizeoutput_777.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_778.jpeg

Proud to share (nearly!) finished photos of this!!

5.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The things which are missing are properly fabricated right ear parts, proper rangefinder, of course a borden connector, and a MQ-1 in the keyslots.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back