Not your average ROTJ scratch build

Thanks for the brand info!

Looking good! In case you haven't seen it Superjedi has a terrific killstripe tutorial here:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f32/...tutorial-49888/?highlight=killstripe+tutorial

The measurements may be different for ROTJ style though, I'm unsure. A quick forum search may yield results one way or another. Make sure you let your paint set good before masking with any tapes. I usually let paint that I'm going to tape over set up for 2-3 days just to be on the safe side. Good Luck!

Anytime. I never thought I would be able to provide someone else with relevant info haha

PERFECT! That's exactly what I've been looking for. I'm not sweating the exact measurements as much, I'll be able to piece that together. But what I needed was a detailed tutorial on the general technique. I owe you one!

Helmet is coming along great! If you decide to get an airbrush another suggestion is to check local craigslist. I got a 120 dollar airbrush for 30 dollars. The regulator and hoses I got from harbor freight for about 20 dollars total.

Thanks!
Wow how did I not think to look on Craigslist???? Haha
Awesome, I'm at HF frequently.

Great advice, thanks a lot :)

There were a couple different ways I could have gone about doing the killstripes. So I decided I would stencil them out and use masking fluid to see how that turned out. I I decided that if after stenciling them, the stripes looked bad, I would wash the stencil off and try a new approach.

First I put the template on to see if the stripes would line up with the damage

a29a2e2836a6c3e1f4226cb8ab66babd.jpg

I realized the damage was slightly too high to line up with the stripes, so I had to choose if I wanted to stripes slightly too high to line up with the damage, or in the right spot and have the damage not correlate correctly.

I opted for the former

ce66a030bbd7653beb4edf8eef3357cc.jpg

067780fa86b6500f7300ae5e9208678d.jpg

I took a step back and decided they looked good enough to proceed

5ac726e7b7ffc7cf481df328d78b1c68.jpg

65a2aad9c15a5cc78c1c603d3b327719.jpg

Upon close inspection the stripes are not PERFECTLY in a nice curved line around the dome, but that's mostly due to the fact that the shape of the dome kinda sucks. The main reference points I used were keeping the stripes all the same distance off of the red band, and lining them up best as possible with the damage on the dome.

dad887ac004a0c7dca76b6868de62f23.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.... The reveal

c2ba2d036ca16e8fde239de3255b01bd.jpg

bf99854313102371ce22329122ab2c55.jpg

697bafff9cad4b0a0aaad11205d0f717.jpg

379c76706081e7d4f047720beabc4193.jpg

Not amazing, but given my limited skill set I'm extremely happy with how they turned out

The farther I back away from the helmet, the better they look! Haha from across the length of the room they look downright sexy lol

Oops, can't forget the turn signals!

757eeaf0440516409e2ab33a8379cfd8.jpg

Only have rattle cans so the turn signals are the same mask and spray technique. I forget to photograph the black one so you'll have to use your imagination

And finally, this is my end product (minus the visor, which is on its way still)

1eee7819e038ff5319cef235d0398307.jpg

9f48632764d2e870bf780fe320ecfa32.jpg

1a9960111db339fe5d4ad52c988c7fcb.jpg

fdc097cc711a24cc0ed39467dd987730.jpg

319e786e26c7c74b9580b695b4f06894.jpg

2f41d94307bca81c8726bbc6acea4cfd.jpg

I'm not well-versed with the intricacies of painting... Am I supposed to give it a coat of minwax polycrylic sealer? If someone could let me know if appreciate it

Well that's it for this build. It's not perfect but it's mine and I love it. I'll be sure to post some pics of it with the visor installed of course! But otherwise I won't be putting any more work into it

Thank you to everyone who gave me all that amazing advice. I'll be sure to start scratch build v2 soon and put it all to good use!

haha for your first build that's actually pretty good! by your third you'll be a pro! What you have to remember is that most people don't get it perfect on the first try so they learn and keep building. Don't stop, keep going! Can't wait to see the next one!

haha for your first build that's actually pretty good! by your third you'll be a pro! What you have to remember is that most people don't get it perfect on the first try so they learn and keep building. Don't stop, keep going! Can't wait to see the next one!

Thanks! Yeah the whole point of this thread was to try to get a bunch of useful info to make the next one better :)
Now I just have to figure out electronics and make it legit haha

Visor came in today! Man... I had a rough time putting it in. Got epoxy on it so gonna have to find a way to clean that off.

Anyway, here it is

fb9e9ece8eefcc9393925b6b2f63e08f.jpg

41aa1e14fa6c032b94ca85bcc3f1d990.jpg

Thanks again everyone. V2 already underway!

Well done ooks the part now, will you be adding any gizmo's to it on the inside and are you planing on going the whole hog with the outfit?

Well done ooks the part now, will you be adding any gizmo's to it on the inside and are you planing on going the whole hog with the outfit?

Thank you sir!

No I think I'm all done with this one.

I'm already working on the next bucket. The goal with that one is to at the very least get red flashing LEDs on the RF and a white LED for the Perspex block. I think it would be really cool to get a servo in for the RF stalk too. Problem is I don't really know anything about all that so I'm gonna do my best to figure it out as I go

I definitely want the costume to happen eventually, but it may not be for quite awhile

If you can solder I can help you out with a RF lights, and the stalk just let me know if you would like help with any of that.. And I am sure others have methods and ideas to (y)

If you can solder I can help you out with a RF lights, and the stalk just let me know if you would like help with any of that.. And I am sure others have methods and ideas to (y)

That would be awesome! I think my friend might have a soldering iron and I have a basic understanding of it. It's one of those things I can mess around with on scrap circuit board til I get it.
Like I said, I've been following your ROTJ journal since day one. Amazing work

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back