3D Print ESB helmet WIP

All these struggles will just help when you get your new helmet! Can't wait to see the green on the dome!
That’s the hope. Downside is that I have no excuse now

Silver dome damage:

8726042C-4017-4A7A-AAA5-A98A8D5FF2AC.jpeg

Kill stripes done.

I’m not going to keep banging on about the inaccuracies of the helmet because I’ve done that enough already! But, suffice to say it has a knock on effect. Damage details aren’t in the exact right place and aren’t the exact right size so although I started the kill stripes in the right place, I don’t think they finish where they’re supposed to.

I probably should’ve used raf’s stencils to put them on instead of going by the correct dimensions (25mm x 8mm stripes, spaced 4mm apart and 6mm off the top of the brow/trim) but hey ho, happy nonetheless. I’m especially pleased / proud of myself for getting the Orange to yellow gradient down. Trying to do that for the first time with an airbrush is nerve wracking!

C38E752D-D342-430C-8632-F7E969EB10C5.jpeg
2BDB4C4D-4A2D-440E-9A98-BE45037389C7.jpeg
2F78BF0C-840A-48E4-9E89-A78F4B8CF6B3.jpeg

Just that back section of trim to do and the main part is done.

In between, I’ll be getting the range finder sorted before moving on to full assembly and weathering.

Grey layer is on the rear trim. For some reason, this has been the most inaccurate section of the helmet BY FAR! It’s odd for a relatively simple shape but I couldn’t get the vertical sections anywhere near wide enough without making the horizontal parts waaaay too long. Any attempt to fix one side, knocked the other out. I’ve done the silver damage freehand by eye and the whole section will have to be done in the same manner.
6BDA1B32-9988-4EAC-B6D9-661EF30ADC04.jpeg

I’ve got the rangefinder stalk silver, I won’t share a picture as it’s…a silver RF stalk. You all know what that looks like!

I was hoping to have the RF itself done too but long story short, I was impatient and will need to sand it back, re-prime it and go again. Hey ho.

Can anyone advise on weathering? I know about the focussed areas like the dent powder burn and the area on the back panel, the lower cheeks e.t.c but aside from that, am I to just apply a general wash of ‘grime’? If so:

Do I do that before or after sealing with clear coat? If it’s after, do I apply another layer of clear coat on top of the weathering?

And, for that layer of general grime…

Is it just heavily diluted Matt black? Specific modeling wash? Acrylic? Enamel?

Can anyone advise on weathering? I know about the focussed areas like the dent powder burn and the area on the back panel, the lower cheeks e.t.c but aside from that, am I to just apply a general wash of ‘grime’? If so:

Do I do that before or after sealing with clear coat? If it’s after, do I apply another layer of clear coat on top of the weathering?

And, for that layer of general grime…

Is it just heavily diluted Matt black? Specific modeling wash? Acrylic? Enamel?

Bump cos I need help with this

I hit it with a light coat of clear in between colours, it's not essential but if you use enamel paint with thinner to do your washes then a clear coat will protect the layers beneath it from getting mucked up.

From here out there are no exact rules or procedures. Enamel, acrylic, brand of paint - none of that matters. It's a combination of misting and washing with different colours to give the paintjob more depth and texture. You've got to really study the reference photos, and do it slowly so you don't overdo it.

I would look at the photos of the PP3 helmet, painted very similarly to the ESB hero:
Look closely at the closeups and try to make out the different colours used to subtly mist the helmet.

I can't recall exactly what used, but I started with light mists of Archive X Earth, LT Grey, Grime, Rust, some brown mix that I found in a mixing jar.... Basically greys and earthtones. I turn the air pressure down super low to make the mist less fine.

Then I did some washes of black and grey, not letting it pool up in the creases but more to give some texture to the colours. Then I did a wash with Earth, letting it pool up in the creases around the top of the visor.

Also don't forget the right side (rangefinder size) of the helmet gets a very generous spatter of rust and brown. Put a little paint on a paintbrush or toothbrush and drag your finger across to flick some paint onto the helmet.

You've done an amazing job so far, you've got this!

Last edited:
I hit it with a light coat of clear in between colours, it's not essential but if you use enamel paint with thinner to do your washes then a clear coat will protect the layers beneath it from getting mucked up.

From here out there are no exact rules or procedures. Enamel, acrylic, brand of paint - none of that matters. It's a combination of misting and washing with different colours to give the paintjob more depth and texture. You've got to really study the reference photos, and do it slowly so you don't overdo it.

I would look at the photos of the PP3 helmet, painted very similarly to the ESB hero:
Look closely at the closeups and try to make out the different colours used to subtly mist the helmet.

I can't recall exactly what used, but I started with light mists of Archive X Earth, LT Grey, Grime, Rust, some brown mix that I found in a mixing jar.... Basically greys and earthtones. I turn the air pressure down super low to make the mist less fine.

Then I did some washes of black and grey, not letting it pool up in the creases but more to give some texture to the colours. Then I did a wash with Earth, letting it pool up in the creases around the top of the visor.

Also don't forget the right side (rangefinder size) of the helmet gets a very generous spatter of rust and brown. Put a little paint on a paintbrush or toothbrush and drag your finger across to flick some paint onto the helmet.

You've done an amazing job so far, you've got this!
This is amazing, thank you so much!

Helmet looks great. Are you going to feel like doing it all over again when the BM helmet comes in? :p
thanks man.

Oh I am ABSOLUTELY going to feel like doing it all again as soon as it comes in!

I’ve had to compromise on a lot with this and accept that there are areas I just couldn’t quite nail down with how wildly out of proportion they were so I’m really looking forward to the only obstacle being my abilities rather than the helmet itself.

Art was the only GCSE I got an A in at school and I have a diploma in graphic design so this kind of thing is fully in my wheelhouse. Basically, as good as this job came out, I KNOW I can do better!

Made a start on some weathering and finer detailing such as scratches. They look a little ‘bright’ currently but I haven’t applied any washes yet so I’m hoping it’ll dull somewhat. The final coat of clear should bring it down anyway.

AADCE627-C1AC-4B7C-BDE0-EEFE271E42B3.jpeg

934641A7-7E8E-49A8-8EF2-0E02B2C602DF.jpeg

Splatters on and around the right ear:

7F9408E1-0DA9-44C3-B123-07968BEB022C.jpeg

Rust/oil/dirt/whatever around the trim and the black paint marks

94279B4D-89DC-4951-8D32-57B02D98E00D.jpeg

This is the “first round.” I didn’t want to go too far

Lower cheeks/mandibles scratches:

859329BC-DB4D-4511-B052-BC0BAEC0BBFA.jpeg
B826EF2D-38BF-4900-87C6-1AC51986E8C7.jpeg

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back