Zero’s Bossk sculpt, a work in progress

Discussion in 'Original Trilogy Bounty Hunters' started by TheZeroEffect, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ant79

Ant79 New Member

I've got to say, this is without a doubt, the best Bossk sculpt I've seen. Huge amounts of kudos to you on this! Have you done any other sculpts?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Thanks man... had to put this on hold while i move.

Yes I have sculpted a few other things:) this is my first Star Wars character, I have been meaning to do this for a while now, there’s a few other characters I would like to sculpt after this as well.....:whistle:

Here is an old creature sculpt from a few years back.....
    FF710798-0645-497A-B221-E9758A701309.jpeg

deathxcircle and Froflo like this.
  3. deathxcircle

deathxcircle Member

Is that from DOOM? Looks amazing!

4. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

no it’s an original sculpt.

5. Ant79

Ant79 New Member

Well that's my nightmare sorted for tonight :eek:

Do you have an instagram or deviantArt page or anything like that? I do love to check out original monster creations haha :D

6. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Haven’t posted on either for a wee while... fettwho's DeviantArt gallery

7. Major

Major Active Member

That's looking really amazing..

8. RBF

RBF Well-Known Member

oh my!! that is so amazing!!!! love tge details!!!

9. webchief

webchief Well-Known Member

Very excited to see this. I do a ton of sculpting with my side business at www.wretchedhivecreations.com and have done several Cantina aliens. Bossk was always one of my favorites.

For the eyes, a trick I've used many times was to use acrylic Christmas ornaments from the craft store. They come clear and you can paint them from the inside so that they appear glossy and shiny on the outside. For Bossk you could do the red solid and use Testor's spray auto tint for the black. A few thin coats of that will give you the darkness you need but remain see-through enough to work. I did it on my Ponda Baba here:

ponda-baba-1-1140x642.jpg

TheZeroEffect and deathxcircle like this.
  10. deathxcircle

deathxcircle Member

Sculpts this amazing will get you commissions on 12 systems.

webchief likes this.
  11. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Love Your Ponda Baba, looks awesome... I too thought about sculpting him up but Bossk won the first sculpt up.

Great idea with the Christmas baubles i will have to keep an eye out for something along those lines, may have to eBay something up in the 50mm (2”) size soon.
    I’m in the tedious but fun process of sorting out my new work shop, so hopefully soon I’ll be back at it:D

12. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

:lol::lol: Thanks :lol::lol:

13. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Back into it after a not so wee break, pulled the sculpt out of temporary storage from moving house. There was a slight bit of damage but nothing major.. just a few scars(damage from my little boy attacking the monster with a ruler sword...), so tempted to keep them....

After some clean up,tidying scales... and scar repair ;) it’s now all about adding in those details I love so much, and with the clay all nice and leathered from storage, it a good time to get everything nice and fine...
    C64EF19E-4AAF-4064-9E15-995C0426A479.jpeg

14. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

It’s the small details...;)
    ADA71F5E-F253-42B8-83AF-143027A2E07D.jpeg

ThatRndmBounty likes this.
  15. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Noodling noodling, noodling... soo many scales to detail... half way there.
    D72C6C99-916D-4C07-AC34-3E042963BDF7.jpeg

16. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Last update on the sculpt before moulding:)
    It’s taking what seams like forever to add the details into every one of Bossk’s scales, sure I could have stopped and had them all smooth to save a lot of time, but real scales are not smooth, they all have texture to varying degrees.
    Looking forward to moulding this, then I won’t have to worry about it drying too much and cracking (which is a painful backwards step to have to repair and redo)
    9F6B3710-14A7-4330-8376-479E5796711F.jpeg
    Not long now:)

17. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Oh, I found what could be suitable eyes....
    image.jpg
    Will experiment and see if I like them, I have a few different ways of doing them in mind....

18. webchief

webchief Well-Known Member

Those should work well for you. I use them on my alien sculpts. If you have a need for tinting them black (I know you don't for Bossk) you can use Testors black window tinting spray paint. Apply it in super light coats.

19. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Mould done and dusted.... always a bit scary covering all that hard work up...
    2BD8D13C-6048-46E7-A576-842F0D26DEB4.jpeg

First layer of Hydrocal, nice and thick, should capture all those details.
    I have gone with Hydrocal over Ultracal as it is better for mask making, though not as strong. I could have used stardard casting plaster but i find it is to soft and easily damages, also standard plaster is coarser than the Hyro/Ultracal so doesn’t capture the detail as finely.

BBF87FA9-5B18-4065-BEB9-F97A4E23939C.jpeg

F73CBACD-981E-4051-BE83-1686D00F2E92.jpeg

All finished. Now to demould and clean out all the clay.
    I’ll do a small test pull for fun and then cast the jaw area so i can begin working on the teeth.

Fun Fun:)

E9395F68-95B3-4E66-84DA-D6E77380F107.jpeg
    Soon I can begin on the jaw and teeth area and it will start looking more like the Bossk it’s meant to be :)

20. Artakha

Artakha (Formerly le1120)

Wow, thats a beautiful mold.

21. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Thanks, took some time but worth the effort :)

Artakha likes this.
  22. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Drying in the sun after a good wash. It took some time picking out the last stubborn bits of clay
    D64B0CFB-056A-466A-8743-C4D65C428ECA.jpeg CB53C89A-67A9-48C2-B929-13ABAC1F569D.jpeg 8B0E14CF-1A81-4F16-93B2-EC963090F6FE.jpeg

23. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Well here’s the first test pull, this one is a bit orange and not Bossk green
    3C8F8990-09E0-4E7C-BED0-5DF7581BF1BF.jpeg
    Did some very quick paint up just to shoe the details
    348BED3D-3E6C-454E-AFDE-68F07A5866DC.jpeg

This test pull will end up as some random “Thrando” looking through a window on a 501st display...
    it may look a bit odd because its just my hand holding it up from the inside, so it’s a bit saggy :)

24. Ghostphoenix01

Ghostphoenix01 Jr Member

Wow! Looks amazing! Are you planning on selling them at any point once you get everything all worked out. Because if so I’d have to hop in line!

25. TheZeroEffect

TheZeroEffect Member

Yes once they are all sorted I will be making them available