Various ESB Casts discussion.

BudaFett boba87fett or maybe intwenothor ?
Anyone who understands castings and has sharp eyes seeing anything in the comparasion that we can deduct something from regarding the "sanding" marks?
Edit: I am referring to the the alledged sanding marks on RS' G1 around the bottom front of the helmet.

Last edited:
Regarding the crack and deformation, I think a lot of us are going to be immensely surprised by just how incredibly deformed that side of the helmet really is compared to the right once we start getting these in hand. It doesn’t show up well in photos very well at all, kinda like the cheek lump doesn’t. Its not just a simple sanding down of the bondo and crack and BOOM, Done, its back to Filming Hero ESB..
The whole damn side of the eye corner area is bowed out strangely far almost like they were afraid to even actually attempt to fix it and just bondo’d it in place as is with the spring tension of the visor probably pushing it out helping to deform it. Also its sounding like the ear pads on these castings aren’t entirely flat like one would expect they should be since they already had metal ears on them for 40+ years. This leads me to suspect that the screws holding the ears on actually help pull in the fiberglass of the earpads outward so they become flush with the ears on the helmet, and especially due to the thin nature of the ESB Hero and it using the more fragile fiberglass weave inside. I suspect this crack being so close to this area of the left ear pad and these natural stresses caused by the screws/metal ears on the fiberglass likely helped shift this area as well once it cracked. As it is now, It would require significant surgery on a Gen 2 casting of the helmet to correct the right way while not harming any of the outside which is all original ESB you would want to preserve
That said I dont believe it would alter the dome shape that much save for the slight side bowed out section at the end of the crack. What likely did change however is the degree of flare present. I think there’s slightly more flare to the helmet now than there was during filming. Would be incredibly fascinating to see what trying to open the crack back up from the inside and pulling that side back in the right way on a really thin casting would do to the whole left side. Might very well try it myself

Last edited:
Regarding the crack and deformation, I think a lot if us are going to be immensely surprised by just how incredibly deformed that side of the helmet really is compared to the right once we start getting these in hand. It doesn’t show up well in photos very well at all, kinda like the cheek lump doesn’t. Its not just a simple sanding down of the bondo and crack and BOOM, Done, its back to Filming Hero ESB..
The whole damn side of the eye corner area is bowed out strangely far almost like they were afraid to even actually attempt to fix it and just bondo’d it in place as is with the spring tension of the visor probably pushing it out helping to deform it. Also its sounding like the ear pads on these castings aren’t entirely flat like one would expect they should be since they already had metal ears on them for 40+ years. This leads me to suspect that the screws holding the ears on actually help pull in the fiberglass of the earpads outward so they become flush with the ears on the helmet, and especially due to the thin nature of the ESB Hero and it using the more fragile fiberglass weave inside. I suspect this crack being so close to this area of the left ear pad and these natural stresses caused by the screws/metal ears on the fiberglass likely helped shift this area as well once it cracked. As it is now, It would require significant surgery on a Gen 2 casting of the helmet to correct the right way while preserving the outside which is all original ESB which you would want to preserve
That said I dont believe it would alter the dome shape that much save for thw slight side bowed out at the crack. What likely did change however is the degree of flare present. I think there’s slightly more flare to the helmet now than there was during filming. Would be incredibly fascinating to see what trying to open back the crack up from the inside and pulling that side back in the right way on a really thin casting would do to the whole left side. Might very well try it myself

What a useful answer! Thank you. If you ever do get around to making that experiment, I trust you will document it for TDH :)
Any thoghts on the RS G1 sanding marks around the front bottom?

What a useful answer! Thank you. If you ever do get around to making that experiment, I trust you will document it for TDH :)
Any thoghts on the RS G1 sanding marks around the front bottom?
I think it's just dust , it doesn't make sense sanding it down

RS’s G1 looks like there’s sanding marks but the helmet they’ve taken pictures of (on their website and video) I’m assuming is still the G2 they had before acquiring the G1.

That’s how I watched their video and introduction to the G1. Some clarification from RS would be helpeful and some better pictures.

It would be great to add links to threads that have the info needed, but sadly some of these threads have missing images (one example is the MF and MR prototype comparison ==> PP2 casting vs MF - You be the judge and another one is the presentation of the MR prototype helmet ==> MR Prototype Helmet - Pic Intensive - help us, Art Andrews, you are our only hope!)

Thanks for pointing this out. Fortunately, I still have those images and have restored them to the threads. Please let me know if there are others. I may not always have them, but if I do, I'll sure put them up!

Loved this shot:
mr_proto_08.jpg

This is what I’ve gathered. Please correct it if it’s wrong...

... so here’s the thing.

The guys that cast the G1s from the ESB Hero mold didn’t have permission to make themselves casts from LFL - maybe from EFX with the condition to not monetize or copy and sell them.

The agreement among them to not let them out of their possession was violated against the permission given to them by Bryan Ono?

Then one of the G1’s got to another member - presumably with the same conditions? Don’t share and don’t make copies.

That G1 was copied and shared as a G2.

Then the next person got a G2 and was probably told the same thing. Don’t share and don’t make copies.

Then the G2 made it to Voldie who was also likely told don’t share and don’t make copies. But, hey he’s Voldie... So, he made a mold and made copies and sold them secretly through people.

The G3 were made and sold to WF and MF among others.

WF and MF both sold raws and cleaned up versions. WF much more discretely than MF.

Just about everyone involved since 2012 had been told to not share and not duplicate and not sell, right?

So why is everyone busting each other’s balls? Everyone is guilty of casting something without the permission of the person it came from. Each violated trust and an agreement to not let these out or to copy them.

I am grateful they are out for everyone to have now, but no one has clean hands in this. Sure, some might look more righteous than others, but everyone is guilty of breaking agreements with the person that gave them their helmet.

So, we have a choice as a Fett community. Do we continue to let this divide us and bicker over it or do we celebrate what we have, stop fighting over it and make the best of it?
I also want to add now that ive read through the last few pages...

ALL OF THIS^^^
Ive been around in the Fett community long enough like a few others of you and have seen exactly what this kind of bickering, pettyness and toxicity can do...
It straight up ruins the hobby for you so that you feel nothing but distain for it. And I absolutely promise you.. You wont find the community in your next passion hobby any better. I remember back in the TDH vs MPPC days when it got unimaginably and wrongfully toxic between the two groups to the point it became pure “Us vs Them” camps, driving people apart that honestly if they were all still civil with one another and working together collaboratively today might have helped solve a lot of the remaining mysteries about this costume we’ve yet ti solve with their combined effort. Just a handful of us have managed to realize how stupid it all really was at the end of the day and have agreed to let the past be the past so we can just enjoy what we all love. Ive made some amazing friends again as a result of letting stupid ******** go because I just want to love this hobby again and help better it for the community
Lately ive been seeing a LOT of the similar starting trends that begin with the ******** back then

So as someone who’s been through this crap once before and stepped away from Fett for almost a decade before fully coming back to it, I very much recommend not letting stupid bickering and ******** get any worse about this or other garbage because it honestly helps absolutely nothing at the end of the day for the community and the hobby as a whole.

We’ll all agree and disagree on things at times, as we should, because every one of us could honestly just be mistaken at any time. And since pandora’s box has essentially been opened already and cant be shut on this, ya might as well make the best of it. Im just happy Gen 2’s are coming out now for us who are more passionate about the prop side of this hobby than in another 10 years down the road, especially since we have some amazing artists and people working together to get these ears exactly right because 40 goddamn years is enough time hahahaha

Last edited:
Ive been around in the Fett community long enough like a few others of you and have seen exactly what this kind of bickering, pettyness and toxicity can do...
It straight up ruins the hobby for you so that you feel nothing but distain for it. And I absolutely promise you.. You wont find the community in your next passion hobby any better. I remember back in the TDH vs MPPC days when it got unimaginably and wrongfully toxic between the two groups to the point it became pure “Us vs Them” camps, driving people apart that honestly if they were all still civil with one another and working together collaboratively today might have helped solve a lot of the remaining mysteries about this costume we’ve yet ti solve with their combined effort. Just a handful of us have managed to realize how stupid it all really was at the end of the day and have agreed to let the past be the past so we can just enjoy what we all love. Ive made some amazing friends again as a result of letting stupid ******** go because I just want to love this hobby again and help better it for the community
Lately ive been seeing a LOT of the similar starting trends that begin with the ******** back then

So as someone who’s been through this crap once before and stepped away from Fett for almost a decade before fully coming back to it, I very much recommend not letting stupid bickering and ******** get any worse about this or other garbage because it honestly helps absolutely nothing at the end of the day for the community and the hobby as a whole.

So much this.

I am sure, given postings from today, a number of people have questions or have already made their mind up on what is fact and what is not. For my part, everything you said above is where my mind is, and as much as I am sure some would like me to go back and forth, I will never let this become another TDH/MPPC thing. Those days included so much wasted time and energy and I won't be a part of such things again.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back