Various ESB Casts discussion.

Very good. I defer to Raf, who is far more knowledgeable in these matters than me.
The big question marks are around the Banzai, which is how it has always been. Some things about it make me lean towards it being direct from the ESB but the inconsistencies, particularly around that ear platform, make me wonder if it came from the stunt. I had always thought that the stunt helmets were much smaller than the hero due to the soft material they were made in. That is probably the best indicator of the Banzai heritage; it shouldn't be bigger than a stunt if it were derived from one. If it were pretty much ESB sized with little shrinkage then this might be a strong indicator.
There was the 'unseen stunt' theory/rumour. I am unaware of the basis for that theory, unless it was purely put forward to try to explain the Banzai. Again, so many inconsistencies. That's why the Banzai continues to fascinate me.

For all of the grey area around the later recasts of Machine's 2nd generation cast we do know, broadly, where they came from. The thing we cannot definitively pin down is how many intermediaries, and thus generations, are involved but, on a basic level, we know what they are.

We know the dimensions the MF's lineage helmets have and how they compare to the original ESB hero, so with this and the shrinkage produced by the material used by MF (I think he posted about it being 0.003%), we can suspect those are a 4th gen cast (being a 3rd gen the master used by MF) and not further. I'm not sure about WF's because I do not own any measurement. Also WF's are polyester resin and not the non-shrink material.

So Machine Craft is the most lucrative/original version essentially from what I’m gathering? And everyone else either didn’t have permission and jumped off from there?

So Machine Craft is the most lucrative/original version essentially from what I’m gathering? And everyone else either didn’t have permission and jumped off from there?

MC and RS are both equal. The diference is RS is from UK and is not sold with aluminium ears, and MC is from USA and is only sold with aluminium ears.

General question. Is the original ROTJ helmet the same exact shape and dimensions minus the damage and wavy brow?

They came from the same mould, but each shape is unique because of casting isues. Also, each helmet had the dent and the ears platforms applied AFTER the casting proccess. So no, each one is diferent, but similar. Just like two apples from the same tree.

General question. Is the original ROTJ helmet the same exact shape and dimensions minus the damage and wavy brow?
it should be, but it is not quite. All of the Fett helmets originated from the supertrooper helmets, that all came from the same mold. So theoretically, they should all be the same base material. However, even as early as the filming of ESB, there were differences discernable. Like the flare of the helmet base / ears on the ESB is more pronounced then on the others. Why that is? I cannot say. Maybe others here can.

Edit: typed the above answer simultaneously with KaanE , as it seems. but he already ansered my question. Thanks :)

Even being from the same mould, the ESB has a different fiberglass material (fiberglass cloth instead of mat), and maybe it's the cause of all those stress cracks here and there, as well as the more pronunced shape variations.

RamSkirata - The eFX casting of the ESB helmet was supervised by Gino and he helped to prepare the helmet for casting, but I think he did not actually cast the helmet.
Oh. Ok. To get this "more" right... Can someone tell me more about Gino? Like, what his position at efx was or is? What his skillset is? Is he actually on here? Please forgive if some of those questions are either well known or easily researchable. I have read an extensive amount of threads on here but do not remember reading a lot about him.

Edit: Could we say, he was responsible for the molding? or the molding and the casting? Or the entire project?

Any difference between MCR and RS props will be intentional. Just like how the recasted helmet has had physical changes made to the helmet.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back