tykyu's ESB WIP

tykyu

Jr Hunter
Hi guys! Finally starting this journey, and can't be more excited. I've been lurking on TDH for a couple years now as a college kid. Now that I'm graduated, I'm slowly working on that dream ESB BH. There are so many parts and details, but there's also amazing people in this community who have helped me figure this out. ^^ Here's a WIP. Would love to receive some advice/constructive criticism if you have any!

red = RECEIVED
red + strikethrough = FINISHED WHEW
Ordered:

Helmet - Sourced and painted by ToEleven

Light topper - Jc27 (offered as a bundle with ToEleven ’s helmet kit)

Fiberglass Armor, Knees - Mandalorian 70

Gauntlets - Quest Design Canada, painted by Mandalorian 70

Jetpack - Wasted Fett, painted by Mandalorian 70

Cape - Man of War Studios

Flightsuit, flak vest- Man of War Studios , dyed by Mandalorian 70

Neckseal - Man of War Studios

Ammo Belt - Mandalorian 70 (friend’s secondhand)

Boots - Imperial Boots

Pulse 40 - Sourced and painted by Mandalorian 70

Toe Spikes - Quest Design Canada

Weathered Ankle Spats, Weathered side pouches, Nemrod Holster, Gauntlet MQ-1 plate - bobamaker

Girth Belt - woodman

Shin Tools- Scott's Props

Jetpack Harness, Dive Buckle - Bigdane

Jetpack Clips, Rings - full metal fett

V3 Chest Light - Fettronics

Wookie Braids- secondhand through Mandalorian 70

Aluminum Gauntlet Rocket - Quest Design Canada

Stainless Steel Gauntlet Darts - Quest Design Canada

Metal Stabilizer - Quest Design Canada

LED Jetpack Beacon - Quest Design Canada

WhiteShadow BH V3 - WhiteShadow

Not Yet Ordered:

Rubber EE-3 - Hellhounds Props

Last edited:
Hey :)
I am looking forward to seeing your build unfold!
Just as a quick reference for those who havent seen it, here is the paint-up thread by ToEleven :

Even though I am myself hugely interested in the archeology that is lineage Fett helmets, I do like his work very much from what I have seen. I also think the origens are quite cool. In a way a lineage helmet, too, from real Star Wars Boba stuff, although of course not physical. I still like that aspect of it.

I noticed, you and Mandalorian 70 are both from Texas; do you know each other personally and that is why he participates in your project or is he open for comission work on here?

Thank you, tykyu for your kind words in your recent post on another thread!
I for sure am not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to Boba, though I am fairly confident that I would make the upper ranks in terms of pre-disney mandalorians.
That said, all of the others on here that have much more knowledge of Boba specific stuff, they'd have a LOT to do if they were to answere everything themselves. So I am trying to be helpful.

Just as a quick reference for those who havent seen it, here is the paint-up thread by ToEleven :

Even though I am myself hugely interested in the archeology that is lineage Fett helmets, I do like his work very much from what I have seen. I also think the origens are quite cool. In a way a lineage helmet, too, from real Star Wars Boba stuff, although of course not physical. I still like that aspect of it.

I noticed, you and Mandalorian 70 are both from Texas; do you know each other personally and that is why he participates in your project or is he open for comission work on here?

I for sure am not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to Boba, though I am fairly confident that I would make the upper ranks in terms of pre-disney mandalorians.
That said, all of the others on here that have much more knowledge of Boba specific stuff, they'd have a LOT to do if they were to answere everything themselves. So I am trying to be helpful.
Hello my Friend, as of right now, just helping out a fellow Brother of Texas, I have 2 other projects to work on along with my Jango build, so am just divvying out my day of my regular job and multitasking within this Wonderful Hobby :)

Without a doubt.! His helmet is from modified battlefront II scans from what I understand, so laser scans at the very least. Very cool, and his artistic abilities are second to none! Looking at the previous helmets painted for other ESB fetts, I'm blown away by the detail and time he puts into even checking things like flash and whatnot ^^ Very much looking forward to my ToEleven helmet. I've also found him to be really humble and cool to work with too. He doesn't really toot his own horn imo, but from what I've seen, he really does incredibly great work.

Yes! I'm but a young fledgling fett, but John's graciously agreed to take me under his wing and help me with quite a bit of my project, as you can see! I've learned a lot from him and a couple others here on TDH already. Ahahaha. I always tell John I could not have begun this project without his help. That's really no lie. This dude is the best.

Quite so, my friend. There are amazing people here in the psuedo-bigshot SW celeb kind of space. ^^ Been having a lot of fun in this pursuit thus far just meeting new people and buying props. The soul is willing but the wallet is weak~ LOL
I particularly enjoy your posts because you're kind and I feel like a genuine sense of wanting to get to the bottom of things. I totally relate with that feeling and it's nice to see as someone just getting into this hobby.

Without a doubt.! His helmet is from modified battlefront II scans from what I understand, so laser scans at the very least. Very cool, and his artistic abilities are second to none! Looking at the previous helmets painted for other ESB fetts, I'm blown away by the detail and time he puts into even checking things like flash and whatnot ^^ Very much looking forward to my ToEleven helmet. I've also found him to be really humble and cool to work with too. He doesn't really toot his own horn imo, but from what I've seen, he really does incredibly great work.

Yes! I'm but a young fledgling fett, but John's graciously agreed to take me under his wing and help me with quite a bit of my project, as you can see! I've learned a lot from him and a couple others here on TDH already. Ahahaha. I always tell John I could not have begun this project without his help. That's really no lie. This dude is the best.

Quite so, my friend. There are amazing people here in the psuedo-bigshot SW celeb kind of space. ^^ Been having a lot of fun in this pursuit thus far just meeting new people and buying props. The soul is willing but the wallet is weak~ LOL
I particularly enjoy your posts because you're kind and I feel like a genuine sense of wanting to get to the bottom of things. I totally relate with that feeling and it's nice to see as someone just getting into this hobby.
Jup, thats my info, too: modified Battlefront II data. Honestly, I dont know if that means that it is laser scans off of any original helmet. I sure could be but we just dont know. I AM amazed by the level of detail captured in the "paint" of the helmet in game though. So I wouldnt say it is entirely off the table that they wen to lengths to try and get the digital sculpting part right too. But I just dont know. They could have digitally modeled it themselves for all I know. Or scanned a fan sculpt.
No clue really.
ToEleven do you know any of this? Figuring, you are probably one who is most knowledgeable on the BFII helmet data?

What I meant to say is, that BFII IS an official Star Wars product. So anythign that comes from it has lineage to official Star Wars on screen stuff :D

Thank you for your kind words again!
And you are right... I really love the archeology in this. Getting to the bottom of things. And not only the "hard facts" but also the circumstances for something to become unveiled... Soo fascinating.
And it helps with your build, too.

I myself am not planning to do a Fett build at the moment. Mainly because I would rarely have a chance to wear it at all being in Germany. There are events here, but the situation is different then in the US.
I wore the custom mando that you can see in the pasted thread only a total of 3 times. Thats it unfortunately.

Of course I could have travelled more to seek out opportunities, but there also is the issue of time and money.

tykyu, you are going to love your ToEleven helmet, as do I. I’m watching Jay’s progress on it with great anticipation.
RamSkirata, Texas is a big state, but we like to stick together. ;)
Haha... I am aware that that could have sounded silly. I mainly asked it because I have not noticed Mandalorian 70 as one of the comission people before, so I thought maybe they know each other personally. Then I saw that they are both from Texas and that increased the chance of that thought, so I asked.

Btw... if I can remember that correctly, Texas is TWO AND A HALF TIMES the size of Germany!!! Imagine that. Wow. BTW... I only have gotten to know wonderful people out of your guys state so far. Personally never have been there unfortunately, but thats going to come for sure at one point in the future!

Haha... I am aware that that could have sounded silly. I mainly asked it because I have not noticed Mandalorian 70 as one of the comission people before, so I thought maybe they know each other personally. Then I saw that they are both from Texas and that increased the chance of that thought, so I asked.

Btw... if I can remember that correctly, Texas is TWO AND A HALF TIMES the size of Germany!!! Imagine that. Wow. BTW... I only have gotten to know wonderful people out of your guys state so far. Personally never have been there unfortunately, but thats going to come for sure at one point in the future!
RamSkirata, I think you would feel at home in some of our towns. A lot of German heritage here. In fact, that is were all my ancestors are from.

RamSkirata, I think you would feel at home in some of our towns. A lot of German heritage here. In fact, that is were all my ancestors are from.
tykyu I am sorry to have derailed your thread. This ist the last post about Texas. Really. At least from me. For the forseeable future. I think.

ShortFuse I'm sure it would! You know, I love the US, have traveld quite a lot of states already, but more to come hopefully. For some reason Texas has a huge fascination for me... Generally, I like areas only sparesly populated. Oh and I am a Fan of Walker Texas Ranger. :)

Well. Sorry then. Had to tell that. We can get back to talking Fett now. Where were we? :D

tykyu, you are going to love your ToEleven helmet, as do I. I’m watching Jay’s progress on it with great anticipation.
RamSkirata, Texas is a big state, but we like to stick together. ;)
Without a doubt, my brother!! This helmet is gonna be SICK!
:D Didn't know you were from the good ol' Republic o' Texas too. Howdy!
ahahaha

Yeah, the state's actually surprisingly large honestly. Food portions are huge here too- for better (for enjoyment) or worse (for health). Hohohoho ;)
tykyu I am sorry to have derailed your thread. This ist the last post about Texas. Really. At least from me. For the forseeable future. I think.

ShortFuse I'm sure it would! You know, I love the US, have traveld quite a lot of states already, but more to come hopefully. For some reason Texas has a huge fascination for me... Generally, I like areas only sparesly populated. Oh and I am a Fan of Walker Texas Ranger. :)

Well. Sorry then. Had to tell that. We can get back to talking Fett now. Where were we? :D
Not at all, my friend. Love the authentic camaraderie happening here ^^.
I am planning on visiting Munich next year as well- have some friends that live there and the city is absolutely beautiful! I have 0 understanding of German, though- so gotta start hitting the books.
hehehe, come visit Texas sometime once the pandemic clears. We'll go and take you for some awesome steak Mandalorian 70 ShortFuse
Southern hospitality is like "We will give this to you, and you will like it!" :lol:
But oh yes, errrr- Boba.
I'd have to say the part I'm looking forward to the most is disintegrating jawas.

Without a doubt, my brother!! This helmet is gonna be SICK!
:D Didn't know you were from the good ol' Republic o' Texas too. Howdy!
ahahaha

Yeah, the state's actually surprisingly large honestly. Food portions are huge here too- for better (for enjoyment) or worse (for health). Hohohoho ;)

Not at all, my friend. Love the authentic camaraderie happening here ^^.
I am planning on visiting Munich next year as well- have some friends that live there and the city is absolutely beautiful! I have 0 understanding of German, though- so gotta start hitting the books.
hehehe, come visit Texas sometime once the pandemic clears. We'll go and take you for some awesome steak Mandalorian 70 ShortFuse
Southern hospitality is like "We will give this to you, and you will like it!" :lol:
But oh yes, errrr- Boba.
I'd have to say the part I'm looking forward to the most is disintegrating jawas.
Since I stated I wont be talking about Texas anymore so soon, I now need to find some strange way to twist all of this into Star Wars, right?
Well... Imagine, there is a planet called Texas. And a planet called Germany.
Oh, just screw that!

I have heard about Whataburger, and I want to try it! Not even mentioning the officially sancioned duty to eat a good steak there! :D
But this is exactly what meant... Whenever I encountered Texans before on the Internet, it was this welcoming and hearty!

And dont worry about coming to Germany without knowing German. When you stay in the city and dont go exploring little villages on your own, you'll be fine with English. Maybe a few phrases "Thank you - Dankeschön" or "Please - Bitteschön" will help though, as each country likes it when people try to adjust just a little tiny bit to their language.
Also Bavaria used to be the American sector and there is still quite an American presence there. Americans are liked :)

Jup, thats my info, too: modified Battlefront II data. Honestly, I dont know if that means that it is laser scans off of any original helmet. I sure could be but we just dont know. I AM amazed by the level of detail captured in the "paint" of the helmet in game though. So I wouldnt say it is entirely off the table that they wen to lengths to try and get the digital sculpting part right too. But I just dont know. They could have digitally modeled it themselves for all I know. Or scanned a fan sculpt.
No clue really.
ToEleven do you know any of this? Figuring, you are probably one who is most knowledgeable on the BFII helmet data?

The in game models that weren't too shiny to be picked up were scanned and simplified for the game. I started working with the model in 2016. It took me a while to learn my 3d software and even longer to figure out how to get detail added back in. The dent, ears, and keyslots are my modeling/sculpting.

Here's a wired article link on what they did.
The Secret to Star Wars: Battlefront's Art? Real Props

Since I stated I wont be talking about Texas anymore so soon, I now need to find some strange way to twist all of this into Star Wars, right?
Well... Imagine, there is a planet called Texas. And a planet called Germany.
Oh, just screw that!

I have heard about Whataburger, and I want to try it! Not even mentioning the officially sancioned duty to eat a good steak there! :D
But this is exactly what meant... Whenever I encountered Texans before on the Internet, it was this welcoming and hearty!

And dont worry about coming to Germany without knowing German. When you stay in the city and dont go exploring little villages on your own, you'll be fine with English. Maybe a few phrases "Thank you - Dankeschön" or "Please - Bitteschön" will help though, as each country likes it when people try to adjust just a little tiny bit to their language.
Also Bavaria used to be the American sector and there is still quite an American presence there. Americans are liked :)
Ohh hoho, of course, my friend. You are free to come visit me anytime :D
Gotcha. I will try to memorize a couple more, like " Wo ist die Toilette" and "Lecker". ;) Have heard many amazing things about Bavaria as a whole and am quite excited to visit. Thank you for the tips, RamSkirata .~
The in game models that weren't too shiny to be picked up were scanned and simplified for the game. I started working with the model in 2016. It took me a while to learn my 3d software and even longer to figure out how to get detail added back in. The dent, ears, and keyslots are my modeling/sculpting.

Here's a wired article link on what they did.
The Secret to Star Wars: Battlefront's Art? Real Props
Very cool indeed.! Awesome to see technology used in this way. Just like I said when you explained it to me: I wouldn't have even thought of trying that! Since I enjoy bfII so much too, I can actually claim my helmet's origin to the game as well. That's sick.
For those who want to see pics of ToEleven's helmet sculpt: check out this link on the cargo hold.

ToEleven
Thank you for responding! And what info you brought to the table indeed is super interesting! So we are looking at true lineage helmets then ;) Granted... with a little bit of good will, but if the MR helmet has lineage, so has yours!

Ohh hoho, of course, my friend. You are free to come visit me anytime :D
Gotcha. I will try to memorize a couple more, like " Wo ist die Toilette" and "Lecker". ;) Have heard many amazing things about Bavaria as a whole and am quite excited to visit. Thank you for the tips, RamSkirata .~

Very cool indeed.! Awesome to see technology used in this way. Just like I said when you explained it to me: I wouldn't have even thought of trying that! Since I enjoy bfII so much too, I can actually claim my helmet's origin to the game as well. That's sick.
For those who want to see pics of ToEleven's helmet sculpt: check out this link on the cargo hold.

Awesome!
And those are good phrases to know for sure! Especially the "Lecker" part, you will need quite a lot when you are in Munich! Them Bavarians make good good food!
One word of caution... When you encounter a spice called "Kümmel", be sure to taste a small bit first. People either seem to love it or hate it. Me... closer to the latter one, I gotta admitt. But apart from that, bavarian cuisine is top notch. Hearty, simple and good.
Whenever you have questions, feel free to ask! Im happy to help! :)

To be fair, the BF models are going to have fewer polygons than what MR was dealing with. I used some processing to smooth the model out and add back in the finer details. Of course given what MR did to the cheeks on their version maybe it all evens out.

One thing I have recently noticed is the polygon reduction lowers volume a bit so my helmet is a few mm smaller than the Heros getting thrown around nowadays...that's only a guess since I haven't had one in my hands to compare to. I have had MRs and a few FPH2s and its really close to those in size. I've figured out ways around that too, but there are only so many hours in a day to perfect things. :rolleyes:

ToEleven
Thank you for responding! And what info you brought to the table indeed is super interesting! So we are looking at true lineage helmets then ;) Granted... with a little bit of good will, but if the MR helmet has lineage, so has yours!

Awesome!
And those are good phrases to know for sure! Especially the "Lecker" part, you will need quite a lot when you are in Munich! Them Bavarians make good good food!
One word of caution... When you encounter a spice called "Kümmel", be sure to taste a small bit first. People either seem to love it or hate it. Me... closer to the latter one, I gotta admitt. But apart from that, bavarian cuisine is top notch. Hearty, simple and good.
Whenever you have questions, feel free to ask! Im happy to help! :)
Thank you, my friend. I'll take you up on that~ Will probably be asking for German grammar questions as I continue to study this coming year ^^ Very excited.! (Will watch out for Kümmel)

To be fair, the BF models are going to have fewer polygons than what MR was dealing with. I used some processing to smooth the model out and add back in the finer details. Of course given what MR did to the cheeks on their version maybe it all evens out.

One thing I have recently noticed is the polygon reduction lowers volume a bit so my helmet is a few mm smaller than the Heros getting thrown around nowadays...that's only a guess since I haven't had one in my hands to compare to. I have had MRs and a few FPH2s and its really close to those in size. I've figured out ways around that too, but there are only so many hours in a day to perfect things. :rolleyes:
Love the story of the helmet either way. In some ways, I imagine this could be superior to a lot of fan sculpts. Extremely excited to see how it turns out! :cry:

Thank you, my friend. I'll take you up on that~ Will probably be asking for German grammar questions as I continue to study this coming year ^^ Very excited.! (Will watch out for Kümmel)

Love the story of the helmet either way. In some ways, I imagine this could be superior to a lot of fan sculpts. Extremely excited to see how it turns out! :cry:
You will probably thank me about the Kümmel once you have tried some ;)

ToEleven
Thank you for detailing your approach so well. And also the "shortcomings" of your casts. This kind of openness is... refreshing!
I like the way you went about this. What made you consider the Battlefront game data in the first place?

Thank you for detailing your approach so well. And also the "shortcomings" of your casts. This kind of openness is... refreshing!
I like the way you went about this. What made you consider the Battlefront game data in the first place?

In many PC games while the executables are encrypted the assets are not. So after hearing about the games using real props as the basis for their assets I began researching on different game platforms for BF models, and managed to find someone who had extracted them into something I could convert into Blender.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back