Buckethead from Germany

RamSkirata

Active Hunter
Hello there,

Just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe. And that way brought me back to T-buckets.

I've been fairly active in Mandalorian (pre Disney) stuff in the beginning of the last decade, then life moved on and lately interest in the hobby was renewed. Probably in part by the new Mandalorian series (cool armor, nice to have a Mando in the spotlight for once, but oh... the lore... soo much less interesting and deep then what we've had previously).

Many years back, I built 2 suits of Mandolrian armor, both from metal but with variying quality. The first was a gold one with a painted up Rubies Jango helmet; good looking only from far away, but hey... I was barely more then a child. Then came armor #2 out of 2mm thick aluminum. Much better but no match to most of the stuff ive seen on here. It was huge fun jumping chest to chest with other guys in metal armor, adding real "battle" damage in the process and causing major noise pollution.

For those interested, here are some pictures and details of the suit:
IMG_0839.JPG
20151220_114304.jpg

• 1.5 or 2mm aluminum plate
  • Custom chestplate long-format
  • Armor attatchment via lots of velcro (very secure, easy and versatile, but a major pain to get plate spacing right each suit-up)
  • Bobamaker helmet (dont know which version) with a construction helmet insert and no electronics. I did reinforce the mandibles because thats where I like to grab a helmet. Rangefinder missing on purpose.
  • I know the flaws in the costume are pretty apparent, but I still like it.
And then there is this: Probably my proudest Star Wars moment: Boba, Jango, young Boba, Stunt-Boba and Chewie in one picture. And i'm in it!
4Fetts-2 (2).jpg

So with all that out of the way... What are my goals? Why did I come to The Dented Helmet?

Massive respect for the work you already accomplished here! I've read a ton! of threads and was fascinated by the archeology of trying to find out the tiniest details. Most interesting to me was the helmet history (which I cannot claim to have understood entirely just yet, but I'm getting better). With all of that reading came the wish to comment and hopefully contribute to the community.

In terms of goals, there are several... with variying levels of probability for realization.

Very Likely:
  • Building / getting an as-screen-accurate-as-possible Boba helmet
  • Creating / akquiring some props for display
  • Building the "The Mandalorian" helmet, that more or less by accident is being 3D printed for me by an acquaintance. But putting on a little of a twist.
We'll see:
  • Working towards a 501st accepted Boba or Jango Costume
  • Completely recreating my custom Mando to have screen-quality.
  • In this process, and thats the biggie:
    Finding a way to create screen-quality thick metal plates.
    It does bother me that the fiberglass Jango or the ABS Boba plates look more "real" then most attempts at real metal plates in terms of plate curvature, weathering etc. My mind is contemplating how to make screen accurate real metal plates and I'm hoping to maybe find as well as contribute Ideas towards that goal.
And then I do have an unfinished kit of Republic Commando armor laying around that I probably should have sold but havent.

Ok. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on all of this :)
-René

Welcome dude! This site is always a great addition to any Mando fan for inspiration, networking, building tips, part finding etc. and a lot of great people on top of that. Have you also checked out the Mandalorian Mercs website with your custom kit? I believe the European or even German specific clan is Jai'galaar.

Welcome dude! This site is always a great addition to any Mando fan for inspiration, networking, building tips, part finding etc. and a lot of great people on top of that. Have you also checked out the Mandalorian Mercs website with your custom kit? I believe the European or even German specific clan is Jai'galaar.
Hey :) Thank you for you kind words! The Custom Mando scene is certainly very broad in terms of ideas and how they are implemented. With TDH Im just blown away by the sheer quality of the work that you see - really screen quality stuff - not only in terms of accuracy but also in terms of the visual quality that's there. I have yet to reach that with my custom Mando.

I do know the Mercs and have drawn a TON of info from their site back in the day. As far as Germany goes, Ive trooped with an organisation that specifically focused on all-metal builds. The costumes you see in the group pic are all entirely out of aluminum. In some cases even the helmets.

Hey :) Thank you for you kind words! The Custom Mando scene is certainly very broad in terms of ideas and how they are implemented. With TDH Im just blown away by the sheer quality of the work that you see - really screen quality stuff - not only in terms of accuracy but also in terms of the visual quality that's there. I have yet to reach that with my custom Mando.

I do know the Mercs and have drawn a TON of info from their site back in the day. As far as Germany goes, Ive trooped with an organisation that specifically focused on all-metal builds. The costumes you see in the group pic are all entirely out of aluminum. In some cases even the helmets.

Most definitely. I would suggest using similar methods/techniques that the members use here in order to really upgrade the custom Mando as well. I used a lot of photos of Boba's armor to mimic realist damage and weathering to really up my own custom Mando. And awesome! I am definitely envious of full metal builds - you can do so much in kit without fear of breaking anything ha

Most definitely. I would suggest using similar methods/techniques that the members use here in order to really upgrade the custom Mando as well. I used a lot of photos of Boba's armor to mimic realist damage and weathering to really up my own custom Mando. And awesome! I am definitely envious of full metal builds - you can do so much in kit without fear of breaking anything ha
Youre right! My first step in the upgrades would be to asess the entire armor-concept in terms of kit and colors. I really like the helmet, but we'll just see :) I want to spice it up with more detailed paint, "fix" the right ear with something that is not a rangefinder but does not look like it simply was forgotten. :)
Plus I dont like the curvature on the chest plates. That would need updating but thats looong in the future^^

As far as activities in armor goes... really! Bouncing, Jumping chest to chest and the like...
The women in unpainted armor that you see in the group picture... Ive seen a video of her rolling! In armor! A full on roll! Admittedly, my suit wasnt set up for that but hers was.
Working with aluminum, another aspect comes into play when it comes to physical activity: Your own safety. Plastic will just break before it injures you. Metal will not and for someone to be able to really do athletics in armor, the entire system needs to be set up for that: Plates unmovably attached and in a way were you wont hurt youself with strange and fast movements. The back plate, belly plate and cod plate are especially dangerous. But it can be done.

I do appretiate your Shysa by the way... Pre-"New Star Wars" Mando stuff :)

Sounds like you have some good ideas to implement!

What a life that must be to be able to roll around with your armor on haha but yeah, metal plates would also potentially be dangerous. My plates are all plastic but mine are bolted to my flak vest to provide a little extra sturdiness while also adding to the overall "intimidating" look by helping my build appear more filled out which is nice.

Also, thank you! Had to give some love to one of the 3 original Mandos mentioned by name. Though the comic book version looked a little tacky so I gave him a more "screen accurate" appearance that would fit side by side with Boba while also staying as true to the comic book character design as possible.

Sounds like you have some good ideas to implement!

What a life that must be to be able to roll around with your armor on haha but yeah, metal plates would also potentially be dangerous. My plates are all plastic but mine are bolted to my flak vest to provide a little extra sturdiness while also adding to the overall "intimidating" look by helping my build appear more filled out which is nice.

Also, thank you! Had to give some love to one of the 3 original Mandos mentioned by name. Though the comic book version looked a little tacky so I gave him a more "screen accurate" appearance that would fit side by side with Boba while also staying as true to the comic book character design as possible.

Do you have pictures of your build? Could you post them or already have them somewhere?

I don't want to derail your thread here though but I do!

I don't want to derail your thread here though but I do!

Mythos Fenn I came across this here video and had to think ybout our discussion regarding armor and mobility:
Obviously, not Mando armor, but the same type of attatchment and build can be used with the aesthetic of armor were all familiar with.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back