The right Humbrol for the dome & cheeks?

I’m curious…

Terminal Fettler’s superb “One Last ESB paint job” thread lists Humbrol green #78 in the updated colours list at the start of the thread, which is what I used here:

A69F831E-F5B7-4635-BEF2-9817E9059418.jpeg

However, it was pointed out to me that it’s not right and since looking, I have to agree that it doesn’t look quite right to me either. The CRL uses Pantone 624 as a comparison for a “light olive green”

D19C6FBD-E13A-40A3-8002-6846A1DAC213.jpeg

It’s almost a slightly dirty Tiffany green and the screen used helmet does seem to have a bluer tint to it. Screen used on top, mine on bottom:

4D528156-D22A-49B7-8EC7-899DAAF5D339.jpeg

I just wondered if anyone had suggestions for achieving a closer match?

You can certainly tone done the green hue using a thin wash of grey 79 or 32. I would recommend test strips then apply those two diluted with mineral spirits to check results. Apply with brush or sponge one or two layers. Remember the green also has splatters of grey and brown which changes the overall colour...

Yea, so I used your recommendation of 96 with 76 at 1:1 for the rear panels which came out great in my opinion. I do think the dome and cheeks look more like a muted/milkier version of the green on the rear panels. I’ll try some swatches before my next helmet

You can certainly tone done the green hue using a thin wash of grey 79 or 32. I would recommend test strips then apply those two diluted with mineral spirits to check results. Apply with brush or sponge one or two layers. Remember the green also has splatters of grey and brown which changes the overall colour...
I used a 79 wash, then a very thin 32 and am very pleased with the results

C80C7267-98D9-464B-A347-CAE1F2DDE01B.jpeg

Same. It will if it's thoroughly mixed and thinned. If you've not worked with them before then you might want the buffer of a second.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back