The MINI Fett project

Trooper TK409

Active Hunter
minifett_thumb.gif
With the cool threads about child-size armor and helmets (wow those are so impressive) this falls in the same category. I received an email and a bunch of photos from Bill Krause of Ohio, a visitor to my site. Although not a TDH member, he has done a pretty amazing job (at very little cost) at doing a set of foamcore Boba Fett armor for his 4 year-old. The pack and chest plates are constructed from black foam-core and hot-glue, painted and weathered with craft paint. (he's adding more content soon.)

http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/5.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/1.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/2.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/3.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/4.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/6.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/8.jpg

7.jpg
 

Excalibur

Active Hunter
I like the jet pack. It doesn't look like an accurate scaled down jet pack but more childlike and Toyish. Very cool.
 

TBone

Active Hunter
I know where the thrusters come from - they are the engine bells from an old Space 1999 Eagle.

Looks good! I'm going to start on a Jango for my son as soon as I can finish mine...
 

TBone

Active Hunter
Yeah, I know. I showed it to my son, now he wants one! I've got to finish mine first!
 

Trooper TK409

Active Hunter
Bill has updated me with more info and photos here:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill wrote:
This really just started out as an afternoon project to make something fast and dirty and kinda expanded as I got into it. I basically used the reference photos found elsewhere on this site as well as the four-inch action figure (Power of the Force) for the rough shape, details and colors.
 
The scale was eyeballed based on my son's size. The chest plate pieces and collar were cut with a sharp x-acto knife from black foam-core, which is a little stiffer than the white. The pieces were bent slowly by hand to give them a slight curve and then white-glued in position on a backing of plain posterboard.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/9.jpg
 
Two Velcro straps were glued on the reverse side of the chest and collar plates to extend to the back plate.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/10.jpg
Another strips of Velcro is glued at the beltline to hold the chest piece in place to the belt attaching the backplate.
 
After priming, the overall color of the armor is painted in FolkArt's 927 "Old Ivy"
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/2.jpg
The edges and scratches are dabbed in Testor's Silver and then the whole thing slightly misted in flat black spray paint.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/3.jpg

 
The back plate for the jet pack is cut from black foam core and notched to accommodate the elastic Velcro waist-belt and the shoulder straps.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/11.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/12.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/13.jpg
 
The jet pack was cut from white foam core and hot-glued together.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/14.jpg
The center tube was a 1 ¾" cardboard gift-wrap roll.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/5.jpg

The leading edges on the pack were also covered with electrical tape to make the odd angles a little smoother.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/15.jpg
The tops to the side canisters were plastic lemonade mix cups as well as the middle transition piece.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/16.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/17.jpg

The cones on the center tip were rolled from posterboard and glued together over a smaller diameter 3/4" cardboard tube from a clothes hanger.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/18.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/19.jpg
 
The engine nozzles were a fortunate find. I happened to have these in my spare parts box - they're from Mattel's 32-inch Space: 1999 Eagle toy and just the right size!
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/20.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/21.jpg

[These came out in the late 70's are a bit rare.] They're screwed into two wood balls I bought at a woodworker's shop, drilled through and placed on either end of a 1/2" diameter wood dowel that's slid through the jet pack body - the dowel is also left loose so that the jets can swivel.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/22.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/23.jpg
 
The pack was primed and hand painted in the blue, yellow and dark red craft paint then weathered with dry brushed silver over the edges with some dusting/overspray of flat black spray paint for that "used" look.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/24.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/25.jpg

The nozzles and center tip were masked and painted in silver chrome before weathering
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/26.jpg

The back of the pack was covered with a 3" by 5" strip of Velcro that mates with its counterpart on the backplate.
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/27.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/1.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/11.jpg

 
Here's the kid in action:
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/7.jpg
http://www.TK409.com/images/fett/minifett/8.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Top