The Mandalorian Boba helmet derived from Sideshow bust? If so, what changes - Discussion

... I follow those other threads as well and unfortunately they mostly consist of "I like this new look" and "Its horrible" along with the reasons for those sentiments. obviously I am slightly exaggregating but there really is hardly objective talk about the costume itself here.

Sadly, I'm not sure it'll ever get back to that here.

For example, my thread regarding discussion of Din's gloves in the Mando forum. I was met with a comment from a member here who makes Din Gloves, with a, "nope, they were custom made"... when in fact, my wife knows the lady who sewed all of Din's and the Armorer's soft parts for the show and said that "ALL THE GLOVES WERE STORE BOUGHT FOR THE SHOW".

But it doesn't matter, TDH used to be about research and development and process narrative. Now it is just about where can you buy everything to have it done faster.

... I follow those other threads as well and unfortunately they mostly consist of "I like this new look" and "Its horrible" along with the reasons for those sentiments. obviously I am slightly exaggregating but there really is hardly objective talk about the costume itself here.
Ah, gotcha.

Sadly, I'm not sure it'll ever get back to that here.

For example, my thread regarding discussion of Din's gloves in the Mando forum. I was met with a comment from a member here who makes Din Gloves, with a, "nope, they were custom made"... when in fact, my wife knows the lady who sewed all of Din's and the Armorer's soft parts for the show and said that "ALL THE GLOVES WERE STORE BOUGHT FOR THE SHOW".

But it doesn't matter, TDH used to be about research and development and process narrative. Now it is just about where can you buy everything to have it done faster.
If that's true, then that's a sad state of affairs. I've only been on here for a little over a year, so I can't speak to earlier times, but I do see what you're saying.

This is a striking analysis of the situationen - This thread is the very best example. I started it to learn more about the helmet. 4 pages deep into the thread and I barely know anything. Weeks after the new suit was debuet, there is barely any info about it on TDH. And what made its way here came from a facebook group. This is sad.

Im not quite there yet, but in case I loose all hope that there will be any meaningful costume discussion about the post sarlacc Boba here... Can someone point me towards those facebook and Instagram sites that contain so much more info?

if you aren’t following parts of Star Wars on social media, definitely do. They have been doing their best to ID found items from the show.

It's not even just the TDH. I see it on The RPF, on the Various 501st Detachment Forums I browse, and even on some Non-Star Wars Costume and Prop groups I am in. I don't know if its a side effect of the "Instant Gratification" culture that's been supported and enhanced by Social Media, or what, but these days it feels like the majority of people just want to know where to buy the parts or where to buy the .STL Files to print, and no one wants to research and share and support others. People seem to only either want likes or sales on their posts. People sell PDF e-books with Din's or Boba's Pantone Color codes and Weathering patterns, when that sort of stuff used to be offered freely by the talented folks here, just for the betterment of the community. Now it's all, "Check out my Etsy/Instagram/Patreon (to pay) to learn how I did this Costume."

Last edited:
Nowadays people is not willing to give so much time, love and passion into building something. Just look at the quality of the last few scratchbuild costumes. I remember the times when bkbt, cruzer, dark-side, seeker, bghunter, bobbyfettuk, even bobamaker back in the days, etc. Made their own costumes and, yes, then they sold copies later, but these were made to be their costumes, not some sculpts made to make money with no other interest. Most of the pieces/moulds nowadays are sold to some propmakers or directly they (people) became prop makers to sell and make money.

On one hand I'm grateful that there are talented people who can make such amazing costumes and pieces available to people like me, whose skills lie elsewhere.

But on the other hand, money ruins everything.

I actually hadn't been active on this forum in several years, likely 15 or so back when I was finishing up the suit in my avatar. I came back after wanting to make this costume and was pretty disappointed with the response to this suit as well. Of course everyone is entitled to their feelings and reactions, I myself wasn't an immediate fan when I watched The Tragedy, but I came around on that. The new one in The Believer, I was an immediate fan for likely a few reasons. I see a few others are sincerely wanting to research and replicate that suit and helmet, just have to sift through all the sneering.

I actually hadn't been active on this forum in several years, likely 15 or so back when I was finishing up the suit in my avatar. I came back after wanting to make this costume and was pretty disappointed with the response to this suit as well. Of course everyone is entitled to their feelings and reactions, I myself wasn't an immediate fan when I watched The Tragedy, but I came around on that. The new one in The Believer, I was an immediate fan for likely a few reasons. I see a few others are sincerely wanting to research and replicate that suit and helmet, just have to sift through all the sneering.
I love the version that RafalFett named Tusken Fett. The "new" variant of the suit however does not interest me. Its not so much the repaint as the black cloth everywhere :(
Well... What I really want is a discussion about the costume itself, the likely origins and modifactions done to the helmet, paint effects, opinions what it is likely made out of (fiberglass, 3D print or slush resin?) as well as all those question about the armor (really sintra?) etc....

I love the version that RafalFett named Tusken Fett. The "new" variant of the suit however does not interest me. Its not so much the repaint as the black cloth everywhere :(
Well... What I really want is a discussion about the costume itself, the likely origins and modifactions done to the helmet, paint effects, opinions what it is likely made out of (fiberglass, 3D print or slush resin?) as well as all those question about the armor (really sintra?) etc....
I assume those aspects will be the same between the two costumes. I'm trying to get in touch with Shawna Trpcic, the costume designer for this season (as well as Firefly, among several other things). I get why you aren't into the one I prefer. It's funny how some of the things people cite as why they aren't fans of the costume are actually what I like about it, but of course a week ago I was planning out the Tusken Fett suit, heh. I won't be shocked if I start over again with planning a new suit in 24 hours.

For the armor, I would like to know the materials as well, but I am likely just going to repaint all the existing armor I already own, aside from the helmet which I will retire and simply get a new one to wear.

I assume those aspects will be the same between the two costumes. I'm trying to get in touch with Shawna Trpcic, the costume designer for this season (as well as Firefly, among several other things). I get why you aren't into the one I prefer. It's funny how some of the things people cite as why they aren't fans of the costume are actually what I like about it, but of course a week ago I was planning out the Tusken Fett suit, heh. I won't be shocked if I start over again with planning a new suit in 24 hours.

For the armor, I would like to know the materials as well, but I am likely just going to repaint all the existing armor I already own, aside from the helmet which I will retire and simply get a new one to wear.
My advice would be NOT to repaint your armor. You might regret it in half a year. Also the few armor pieces arent usually what is expensive in a costume, so if I were you I would just get a new set of armor as well :)

Be that as it may... since this is slowly starting to morph into the disucssion I had in mind, im contemplating starting a new thread for that and renaming that here somethign like "Argument about recasting" lol

My advice would be NOT to repaint your armor. You might regret it in half a year. Also the few armor pieces arent usually what is expensive in a costume, so if I were you I would just get a new set of armor as well :)

Be that as it may... since this is slowly starting to morph into the disucssion I had in mind, im contemplating starting a new thread for that and renaming that here somethign like "Argument about recasting" lol
Well, go for it. I'm trying to participate in every discussion here on this subject if you hadn't noticed already, so I'll follow you.

And I totally get what you're saying about repainting, and that has occurred to me. If I repaint my helmet, I know I'll regret that and probably fairly soon after doing it. The armor itself isn't as sentimental to me, and I will likely be selling off all the pieces of the costume not needed for the new version (jumpsuit, hood/neckwrap, boots, cape, scalps, etc). I know that sounds foolish, and maybe it is, but I haven't worn it in seven years or so, and don't really know if I'll have an occasion to do so. It's been sitting in a tub in the garage and the new costume (really, either version shown so far) are something I'm more likely to want to throw on these days.

Well, go for it. I'm trying to participate in every discussion here on this subject if you hadn't noticed already, so I'll follow you.

And I totally get what you're saying about repainting, and that has occurred to me. If I repaint my helmet, I know I'll regret that and probably fairly soon after doing it. The armor itself isn't as sentimental to me, and I will likely be selling off all the pieces of the costume not needed for the new version (jumpsuit, hood/neckwrap, boots, cape, scalps, etc). I know that sounds foolish, and maybe it is, but I haven't worn it in seven years or so, and don't really know if I'll have an occasion to do so. It's been sitting in a tub in the garage and the new costume (really, either version shown so far) are something I'm more likely to want to throw on these days.
I do get that... I have never worn one but from what I have read, original Boba is not the most comfortable costume to have on, lol.

Well, maybe Ill do that re-threading tomorrow, if Ive got some time :)

Nowadays people is not willing to give so much time, love and passion into building something. Just look at the quality of the last few scratchbuild costumes. I remember the times when bkbt, cruzer, dark-side, seeker, bghunter, bobbyfettuk, even bobamaker back in the days, etc. Made their own costumes and, yes, then they sold copies later, but these were made to be their costumes, not some sculpts made to make money with no other interest. Most of the pieces/moulds nowadays are sold to some propmakers or directly they (people) became prop makers to sell and make money.

Well consider people like me who are simply collectors and are not in the position to "scratch build". Why would I struggle at something I know i can't do when someone else perfected it. Ill be honest. I painted a Vader helmet before and HATED it. It was my extreme lack of patients to rip pieces of tape for 3 hours.

But does that mean the effort I put into assembling a screen accurate costume for ten years not a labor of love? Yes I bought completed pieces but I spent countless of hours pouring over all of my reference material to nail down the accuracy of my ROTJ Darth Vader. I have spent over $10k on Vader items in that course of ten years to get what I wanted and I still have some ground to cover. I had conversations with some vendors to make sure I got what I wanted. I thank these artist to lend their talent to the general joe schmo in the prop and costume community.

I ended up with a Vader costume that shows all of the work I have done on researching accuracy and collecting the right parts in the time span of 10 plus years and counting.

This thread Isnt about this topic as it should be about the Legacy Effects molds used for the TV show. I had to say something because im tired of people who dont scratch build get the short end of the stick more often then they should.

This latest episode did little to sway me from repainting my armor, heh.

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back