The first fully Archive-X Fett Helmet paint up

That was a gift as we had a slight delay sending your paint, its a colour we had done as a test that we're unlikely to run in the future. Some of the 60's colours are more accurate in hue to SW, but this was a little off, but you can see howe the colour developed over time as there is a stark difference, and that's the point of Archive-X to track down the correct hues
That makes sense, interesting to see how these colors change. I appreciate the gift.

Looking forward to trying these out. With that 50% off sale I couldn’t pass that up. Honestly I’m surprised this thread isn’t more active.

50% OFF?

Archive-X, since no Fett paint kit is listed on the site yet, is it best to simply order each of the colours individually?
Is the list of colours in post #4 the complete list for the ESB helmet, or are there others you would add?
Do the same colors apply to the armor, or are there other colors you suggest?

I know myself to know that if a complete list was available, I'd simply follow the list, and would be appreciative of the research and effort.

Thank you.

Looking forward to trying these out. With that 50% off sale I couldn’t pass that up. Honestly I’m surprised this thread isn’t more active.
I agree. I would certainly have invested in some of these had I not the best part of five years hunting vintage floquil and doing some of my own bespoke colour matching.

I agree. I would certainly have invested in some of these had I not the best part of five years hunting vintage floquil and doing some of my own bespoke colour matching.
I know what you mean. I have an extensive paint collection. But I wanna give some of these a shot and see how they compare. A lot of people say enamels are more durable, and they surely interact with eachother differently then Acrylics. So why not...

It's going to be great seeing what you can do with them!
I've found nearly all of the vintage paints can't be used to paint because the chemicals have gone bad and produce weird textures etc. The late 80s onward seem to be ok.
Archive-X is a great match to the correct vintage hues. You can always choose to custom mix them and they work great when diluted for airbrushing.

There are some colours that are good to use right out of the jar.
D&H Caboose Red for the mandibles
SP Lark DK Grey for All the grey chipping
Dark Grime for the back panel tan
Earth LT for right ear

Other colours need a bit of mixing as what was done on the original.

Maroon needs a bit of black to darken for use on the mandibles.
Dark Green also needs some black to be uses for the back panel green.
Light green and SP Lark DK Grey get mixed for the main helmet green.
Etc.
Those are just known recommendations. People may come up with mixes of misting that is even better.
The idea of these paints has always been, "What would Joe Johnston have had in the shop when he painted the ESB and PP3 helmets?:
Simple mixing if two colours has yielded great results and is exactly as low tech as youd expect for a painter that just needs to adjust the contrast of colors and not so much the hues.

Last edited:
With Fett we are very hesitant to release what would be a complete set as feel much of the original work wasn't strictly out of the jar, its very complex to get the paint looking right. Though we do have the matches for a lot of the helmet, the artistry is required to get the results and from our experience releasing a go to set is great but when the artistry doesn't come jhand in hand the colours will be questioned and we dont want that.

We want people too use it as a tool set and see the results they get compared to whats currently available and common place. I would like the customers work to sell the idea rather than push it at people.

One thing we do know is time and time again the colours are becoming obviously used and with the correct name and hue to each one now. for those using vintage Floquil please bare in mind that for Empire stuff Floquil RR colour range that was available only went up to about RR178 Possibly RR185 For serial numbers after these you are delving into the impossible if you want to be accurate historically

Even with in the time period of the trilogy being made the colours shifted Hue from year to year and batch to batch so its a very fine art sourcing something correct, unless pre mixing your own to taste.

I've found nearly all of the vintage paints can't be used to paint because the chemicals have gone bad and produce weird textures etc. The late 80s onward seem to be ok.

I've been more successful. Whilst I have had some gone bad, overwhelmingly the paints have been good. I've been able to rejuvenate some I thought well gone with a xylene or toulene thinner but cannot deny that some have sprayed poorly. By far my biggest issue has been customs; I must have lost many, many hundreds, if not over a thousand, to paints seized by customs. That has brought the average spend per bottle up quite a bit.
Some colours I could only gain by having sample chips custom matched. If archive x had been around when I started then I'm sure I'd have gone that way but it reached the point where these paints are no less important than any other found item.

Someone else once expressed it thus; vintage floquil is the trench warfare of found parts.

With Fett we are very hesitant to release what would be a complete set as feel much of the original work wasn't strictly out of the jar, its very complex to get the paint looking right. Though we do have the matches for a lot of the helmet, the artistry is required to get the results and from our experience releasing a go to set is great but when the artistry doesn't come jhand in hand the colours will be questioned and we dont want that.

That makes sense.

I had asked because there is a Boba Fett "coming soon" paint kit listed on the website.

I'll order individual bottles and look forward to some experimentation. Thank you!

Thanks, yes I was intending to add a list, but in 2 minds at the moment, I'd like more results first I think before I release a set. Im in it for the Love not the money so to speak

I’ve repainted a spare Hot Toys 1/4 helmet with the Archive X colors, minus the upper cheek area and the brown splatters and yellowish areas around the helmet. I misted heavily on the dome and cheeks, using ONLY their Lark Dark. More colors mixed into the dome and cheeks would’ve been preferable, but I was satisfied with the outcome. The misting definitely transforms the vibrancy of the Light Green. I’m working on a 1:1 helmet using the same colors, as well.

Attachments

• 87929180-C585-4251-88B6-6BE9B48C91D8.jpeg
    87929180-C585-4251-88B6-6BE9B48C91D8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 282
  • 254C2DCE-45E6-43CB-BA7A-8AA854557AA8.jpeg
    254C2DCE-45E6-43CB-BA7A-8AA854557AA8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 358
  • FAC87C08-914F-42E7-8063-112C95D688E6.jpeg
    FAC87C08-914F-42E7-8063-112C95D688E6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 269
  • EE860B69-28B1-4545-8B8F-A26C648AD9CE.jpeg
    EE860B69-28B1-4545-8B8F-A26C648AD9CE.jpeg
    955.4 KB · Views: 279
Lovely to See the PP2 getting some Archive-X love, beautiful and very quick work by John Simmons, his first helmet and hopefully not last

Using GN Grey Green and grime mix with Dark Green and d&H caboose red misted or darkened with engine black. John has made a blue ish mix for the misting coat but Reefer grey would be a great replacement too. Reefer orange for the kill stripes. Even nicer was Sandy herself sent her approval in a message.

Attachments

• 82288192_10159946522303868_2844683623280410624_n.jpg
    82288192_10159946522303868_2844683623280410624_n.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 82455848_10159946522428868_3900515313397006336_n.jpg
    82455848_10159946522428868_3900515313397006336_n.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 82567343_10159946522318868_5981936939840831488_n.jpg
    82567343_10159946522318868_5981936939840831488_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 83238340_10159946522178868_4478425114651656192_n.jpg
    83238340_10159946522178868_4478425114651656192_n.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 264
Just to be clear here. The upper cheeks were painted Brunswick Green but you're offering Engine Black instead? Or Engine Black was used on them?

What color was used on the left ear? Is it the light green alone or is it a mix? I know the rust spattering changes the tone to more of a medium green/olive color but just want to know how the 2 distinctive greens have been derived and is Jon open to giving out his ratios for his final base colors before weathering.

What color was used on the left ear? Is it the light green alone or is it a mix?
I was told that it was the light green as a base then altered slightly with misting/toning/weathering, though I did not get details on the colors used for that process. IMO, coach green is a solid match for how the left ear appears on screen.

I was told that it was the light green as a base then altered slightly with misting/toning/weathering, though I did not get details on the colors used for that process. IMO, coach green is a solid match for how the left ear appears on screen.
Thank you for the reply. I will investigate the coach green.

Looks like coach green is a lighter color now than what it was in 1975 in order to be the right color? I would assume the light green by their direction is correct. Don't want to hijack this thread so I hope they can elaborate on the actual color used or combination of colors.

Attachments

• Floquil Paint Chart_zps6uyutay3.JPG
    Floquil Paint Chart_zps6uyutay3.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 172
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back