RBF Mandalorian S1 E1 costume build, scratch build (80%)

I wish I had your sewing skills. I was thinking the exact same thing last year when I was working on my costume, why pants and not a coverall style? I ended up using a pair of suspenders on mine.
Going to add some extra material to the cummerbund on mine to make it more of a vest. All this helps to keep everything in place.
The only good thing from not using a coverall is that you have much more room to duck, crouch etc. I think you can see Mando was designed with acting in mind. No collar armor, no crotch piece, nothing that obstructs the abdomen as much. I mean the chestplate is strangely small. Dangerous to keep your gut exposed, especially in an era where troopers actually hit something XD

Got the knee armor done :)
20211019_131841.jpg
20211019_154634.jpg
20211019_171836.jpg
20211019_180947.jpg

Started on the right lower leg, base is made from pvc. I stitched vinyl behind the velcro so it adheses to the pvc strongly via super glue (cyanoacrylate).

Lots more to do but I'm satisfied so far.

20211023_141149.jpg
20211023_142313.jpg
20211023_142323.jpg
20211023_142541.jpg
20211023_154429.jpg
20211023_154523.jpg

Still alot to do but I like where this is going. Can't wait to start on the leather parts for this armor piece. I like the combo of armor with textile :)
20211024_171145.jpg
20211024_171229.jpg

Well... it's fully wearable.... need the phase rife, the knife, the mines and a LED into te gauntlet. I like the cohesion between al the parts :)

Going to make the beskar pauldron aswell and I need to fine tune a few things :) also still need to weather the pants.

Also installed a 2nd visor behind the original one and wow... full frontal flash and it's just utter blackness :)

More soon I hope!

20211031_153301.jpg

It's so delightfully since I got back into the community to see some original faces still posting quality content like you Rick, geez louise has it really been 16 years? So happy with the progress of your build and looking forward to sharing my own again here!

It's so delightfully since I got back into the community to see some original faces still posting quality content like you Rick, geez louise has it really been 16 years? So happy with the progress of your build and looking forward to sharing my own again here!
That means alot and yes... it has.... I was in high school back then, now I'm a teacher and watch Star Wars with my kids. It's great to see some of the... older guys out here. I think it's saying something that TDH is still here. It has survived all social media hypes and I suppose people just keep coming back next to a whole new generation of fans :)

Boba Fett is where it started.. then everything exploded through Ubisoft (in a good way!) Now going back to a Mandalorian is just wow.

The more things change... the more they stay the same XD

20210528_225524.jpg

Also weathered the pants and heightened the velcro on it. I think the parts are better arranged like this:
20211103_172901.jpg

That means alot and yes... it has.... I was in high school back then, now I'm a teacher and watch Star Wars with my kids. It's great to see some of the... older guys out here. I think it's saying something that TDH is still here. It has survived all social media hypes and I suppose people just keep coming back next to a whole new generation of fans :)

Boba Fett is where it started.. then everything exploded through Ubisoft (in a good way!) Now going back to a Mandalorian is just wow.

The more things change... the more they stay the same XD
Message boards maybe a bit of a relic, nearly a decade ago forums were the only depository of information, resources and places to buy what was needed for costuming. With all the media platforms available now those places are dwindling in significance. I have a lot of fond memories of this site and became friends with and met a lot of really talented people. The older faces maybe fewer but that you hit the nail on the head the younger fans like your children will hopefully carry that love for the franchise and continue to elevate the craft into the future and keep places like this alive in some form.

Last edited:
Reworked the bandoleer, it has more closure points so I can velcro it to my back and waiste, leave the diagonal part open, place the cape and chest and then close it. So far I think I'll be able to suit up by myself.

Heightened the position of the magnet where the rifle sling will attach. Also made it a bit smaller.

20211104_174146.jpg

Did a quick testfit; few things to fine tune, but I'm satisfied.
Then the rifle, mines and a nice photoshoot :)
20211107_170224.jpg

Rick, I cannot even begin to describe how absolutely gratifying it is knowing everything was fabricated and built on your own! I adore the pre-beskar sets and this is one of the better rendition I've seen. Proportionally and in regards to fit it's perfect! From top to bottom it's really a testament to hard work, ingenuity and a lot of patience. Nicely done sir! :love:

Done some edits: taken in the beige part of the cumberband that sticks out under the belt. Made a better attachement for the shoulder armor that really keep them in place nice and tight. Shortened the neckseal so it stops hindering movement of the helmet/head.
Also.... I was so, so lucky but I got the hot toys Grogu and..... Just.... Wow. Over the moon with it! I'll be editting it slightly but that's hardley even a requirement.

Working on the beskar shoulder now :)
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Editted the hot toys Grogu :)
Put a zipper in his tunic and added some velcro. Also re attached the collar as it was loosely hanging on with a few attachment points. Weathered it and give him some more hair :) actually hides the seam between the ears and head a little.

DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back