Pinkflamingos6 ROTJ Build

Have you tried hitting the armor with 0000 steel wool after the paint has dried a bit this will help with the tackiness and also take that gloss down since most of the armor is matte colors!
PinkFlamingos6
I’m not sure if you’ve addressed this yet or not. But I’ve had a not so great mixture of paint once (tackiness) and I hit mine with a matte clear coat which, after drying seemed to have done the trick. Tackiness was non-existent.

-Iron

Thank you guys for the helpful tips!

I think my problem was that the paint required so many coats to achieve the correct color. Mix that with the extreme humidity we get on Long Island this time of year and that's more than likely what caused the issue.

I was able to get all the paint off the armor pieces using citristrip (not recommended for plastic) but I didn't find any adverse effects. I only let it sit for a few minutes before I started scrubbing the paint off using a heavy duty scouring pad. I then washed the stripper off and let the pieces soak for a few days in a mix of simple green and water. I then was able to scrub the remaining paint and primer off.

I need to give all the pieces a light wet sand before moving onto the primer. This time around I'm going to use the same paints, but I will be airbrushing the paint on.

I'm going to wait a little while for things to cool off and dry up on the island before attempting to paint again. In the meantime I'm going to put my build on hold for a little while. Have a lot of personal things going on I need to address before I want to move forward on the costume.

So I used the exact same spray paint you used while doing test runs of different colors before I decided to just go with archive x lol now with that yellow I did about 3 layers letting each layer dry at least a day before adding another coat and hitting each layer with the steel wool to scuff up the surface before adding another layer and it worked well. Using an airbrush might give you a little more control but it won’t help the fact that the paint goes on very very thin making multiple coats needed to achieve the color on the can. Hope this helps

Thank you guys for the helpful tips!

I think my problem was that the paint required so many coats to achieve the correct color. Mix that with the extreme humidity we get on Long Island this time of year and that's more than likely what caused the issue.

I was able to get all the paint off the armor pieces using citristrip (not recommended for plastic) but I didn't find any adverse effects. I only let it sit for a few minutes before I started scrubbing the paint off using a heavy duty scouring pad. I then washed the stripper off and let the pieces soak for a few days in a mix of simple green and water. I then was able to scrub the remaining paint and primer off.

I need to give all the pieces a light wet sand before moving onto the primer. This time around I'm going to use the same paints, but I will be airbrushing the paint on.

I'm going to wait a little while for things to cool off and dry up on the island before attempting to paint again. In the meantime I'm going to put my build on hold for a little while. Have a lot of personal things going on I need to address before I want to move forward on the costume.
I hope everything is well and you'll return to your build soon!

So I've been playing with the right gauntlet hoses, looking for a better way to attach them so I have more mobility and so they won't keep coming out from under the sleeve.

After doing some digging, I saw how ShortFuse did his and I liked the idea. I took off all the original hardware and put the loop on one of the hoses like so:
View attachment 223760
I like how doing this ended up shortening the hoses a little bit as well. Think I will need to go back and shorten the upper hose on the Whipcord housing so all the hoses stay aligned better:
View attachment 223761
Overall I like this method but I think I'm gonna explore other methods of attaching as well. Doing this greatly improved my mobility which is a huge plus. The hoses also stayed in place much better than my previous method. Also going to try to see about softening the hoses as well.

Here are some more test shots after trying the new setup and moving my arms around.
View attachment 223762
View attachment 223763
View attachment 223764
View attachment 223765
Let me know how the hoses look! Still playing around and open for suggestions:)
How far up in the sleeve is the other end of the clip sewed in on the suit itself?

SammySoSo the clip on the flightsuit is under the short sleeve, all the way up. It is sewed on the back side of the arm as well, located by the shoulder blade.

Krewkid82 unfortunately this build is still on hold, still need to paint up the knees and shoulders for the kit to be complete. But as of right now I'm currently working on a post sarlacc build lol

Using the stencils and carbon paper I traced out the basic shapes of the gray areas to be masked. I plan on doing a lot of the damage topically, so I just went for the larger areas.
View attachment 220085
Masked the areas using Maskol and 3M delicate surface masking tape.
View attachment 220086
And I sprayed Rustoleum hunter green on the back panels using my airbrush.
View attachment 220087
Removed the masking and I'd say I'm pretty happy with everything. Still have a lot of work left to get all the damage, shading, and shapes right but it's a good start lol
View attachment 220088
View attachment 220089
I decided to go a little lighter on the gray colors because I'm hoping the shading and weathering will darken them up a bit.

I also couldn't help but suit up again while waiting for the paint to dry... this time with all the gear minus the wookie braids and I'm waiting on a pair of gloves from Mike M.
View attachment 220090
View attachment 220091
View attachment 220092
View attachment 220093
I did notice that the girth belt needs to come down over the cod armor a little more and I may bring the tighten the slack on the white jetpack straps but overall I'm pretty happy with how everything sits and looks. One problem I need to address per my assistants is how the gauntlets fit over the flightsuit. Need to work out some kind of sleeve to but over the flightsuit to keep the fabric from bunching up and getting caught.

Let me know what ya think, all criticism welcomed!
My bobamaker helmet is on its way, so I gotta know where you got the stencils for painting your helmet! Let me know, please!

My bobamaker helmet is on its way, so I gotta know where you got the stencils for painting your helmet! Let me know, please!

I got the stencils here:

You may need to slightly adjust the size to fit the proportions of the BobaMaker helmet.

Little Saturday morning update...

I was able to work things out with Daz about the decal. I very much appreciate the kind offer ShortFuse! I think I may be ordering some more decals from you to decorate my storage bin in the future!

Got the knees and shoulders painted up for the base metal damage.
View attachment 225037
Also got a base layer of white to the thrusters. I'm really hoping my GML will let the color of the tanks on my jetpack slide and I won't have to repaint them and then I'll just have to match the thrusters to the tanks. Still waiting to hear on that.
View attachment 225038
Finally the BobaMaker dart launchers for the knees painted up along with the QDC jetpack greeblie that I've decided to go back and repaint red. This greeblie will go on the left thruster as seen in the ROTJ promo shoot.
View attachment 225039
View attachment 225040
Thank you for viewing and stay tuned for more updates!
What silver are you using for the base silver? It looks nice. I've been using a discontinued silver that I've only been able to get on ebay, and need a good replacement since I'm gonna start my MOW jetpack and Bobamaker helmet.

What silver are you using for the base silver? It looks nice. I've been using a discontinued silver that I've only been able to get on ebay, and need a good replacement since I'm gonna start my MOW jetpack and Bobamaker helmet.
For the base silver on the armor pieces I used rustoleum aluminum and for the topical silver on the helmet, gauntlets, and jetpack I used testors flat aluminum.

I used rustoleum 2x moss green sprayed into a cup and applied by paintbrush.
My guy! Thanks! Here I was thinking I had all my colors, and I'm beginning to stencil my cheeks and see "fern green", so I'm like, "crap." But thanks for telling me! I ran out to the shop, and apparently I bought it already! Again, your build is amazing and thanks for all the know-how!

My guy! Thanks! Here I was thinking I had all my colors, and I'm beginning to stencil my cheeks and see "fern green", so I'm like, "crap." But thanks for telling me! I ran out to the shop, and apparently I bought it already! Again, your build is amazing and thanks for all the know-how!
No problem! Happy to help!

Hello all!

This past summer I finally joined the 501st Legion as a ROTJ Biker Scout and have enjoyed trooping so much!
Resized_20230722_141555.jpg
Resized_20230624_172658.jpeg

While I've been having fun serving the Empire, I've been missing Boba...

After some encouragement I've decided to pick up my ROTJ build and go for the gold lol I've learned a ton since I've last worked on this build and I see some issues with my current kit.

I've got a laundry list of improvements I want to make including replacing pieces altogether. It's going to take time, but I want to make things right this time.

My first thing I did was install a wireless rangefinder servo kit from NeoFett. I had originally bought this kit for my post sarlacc build so I had to do a few things to make it work for ROTJ. The red led sequence was done after what was shown in MS2, but I don't think your average person would know the difference lol

The servo is activated using the Alco switch in the right gauntlet. I love the results and would highly recommend this kit from Neo Fett !

NeoFett also painted up a set of BobaMaker knees and shoulders for me! They came out great and I'm very happy with them.
20230910_084027.jpg

20230910_084020.jpg

20230909_113758.jpg

That's all for now, I have some things in the works for the next update...

Another upgrade I wanted to do was change how the thrusters are attached to the pack. I've read about people using bungee chords and eye bolts to hold them in place. I like this idea because it gives the thrusters some give in case you bumped into anything.

I wanted to further strengthen this idea by using the thruster greeblie as a nut that held everything together. Slave1Pirate117 was kind enough to drill and tap some threads to match the eye bolts. Here's a prototype that I put together:
20230917_091932.jpg

In theory those greeblies aren't coming off at all and the thrusters should have some flexibility and be able to return to their place.

Another upgrade I was tempted to do after seeing Irongladiator do was add a smoke machine to the jetpack!

Iron was very helpful in assisting me. I got a setup from

Shop | Spoon Makes

My setup includes 2 vaporizers, one for each thruster. I was able to fit everything into my pack along with the beacon electronics just fine.
20230917_095322.jpg

20230917_095338.jpg

I was able to retro fit my current setup to incorporate the smoke machine and the tubing. I'll go more in depth when I get everything finalized on the bungee chord attachment when the time comes.

Here's the end result!

I'd highly recommend spoon makes if you're looking to upgrade your jetpack. Everything is super high quality right down to the instructions and packaging.

PinkFlamingos6
That bungee idea is great, and should hold it all together nicely. To echo your statement, Alina (aka Spoon Makes) does indeed put together an excellent kit. After seeing the amount of smoke produced by two thrusters makes me wanna get a second vaporizer.

Great job on them upgrades!
:cool:(y)

-Iron

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back