Painting boba fett armor

CRS1

New Hunter
Eva foam armor for boba fett completed. By completed i mean it is all cut, sanded, and heated into shape form.

Now i need to paint.

Black Plastidip, silver spraypaint layers, and then final green painting?
If this isnt a good method^, give whatever feedback possible.

Same goes for the shoulder and knee pads.

What are the steps for painting the armor?

Look at several of the Work in Progress (WIP) threads and you will see basic idea. I have never painted foam armor so I have no reference for it but to paint plastic or fiberglass the basic steps are to do a layer, then lay down the stencils for the next color, mask it off and paint the next layer. Then repeat till you finish all layers. After that you will add weathering and possibly a black wash.

Look in the Boba Fett costume section and you will see a list of all of the stencils.

Look at several of the Work in Progress (WIP) threads and you will see basic idea. I have never painted foam armor so I have no reference for it but to paint plastic or fiberglass the basic steps are to do a layer, then lay down the stencils for the next color, mask it off and paint the next layer. Then repeat till you finish all layers. After that you will add weathering and possibly a black wash.

Look in the Boba Fett costume section and you will see a list of all of the stencils.

That's how I did mine (redkraytdragon ABS for ROTJ), primer, then spray silver, sealed with gloss clear coat. Mask yellow, then spray yellow, peal mask. Mask green on ab plate, then spray green 1, mask the rest of green, then final green spray, peal masks. Weather with light spray of black, flecks of black from toothbrush spatter, pencils, etc., then final scratches with blade and pin, sealed with dull clear coat. Steps for bells and knees mostly the same, just different colors.

I've heard you need to heat seal the foam and then coat it with modge podge before spraying your plastidip.

I'm not sure what modge podge is but i think your using it to neaten the cracks and joins... don't just cut it neatly and glue nicely their aren't enough joints on the armour to justify it.

1) Heat seal the foam.
2) Coat with several layers of PVA Glue + Water mix OR several layers of plastidip OR several layers of PGA and 1 layer of Plastidip.
3) Grey Primer
4) Silver
5) Start masking off the silver with Maskol.,.. buy way more Maskol than you think you need, it spreads very differently on EVA than on non-porous materials like Sintra, fibreglass or resin even when sealed and primed it just doesn't go as far.
6) Spray yellow and follow the paint guides as per dv8r above ^^... although on eva foam an unlike the the helmet you can leave the layers of maskol on each layer till the end and rub it all off simultaneously...do this at your own risk, you can peel off and remask each time of course but with the amount it absorbs you'll find you won't want to.

or

7) Put the foam armour in the bin.
8) Buy Sintra/Palight/Expanded EVA foam cut with craft knife sand with 400 sand paper get better results, then follow the paint guide.

Modge Podge has pretty much the same effect as the PVA/Water mixture.

On my original EVA plates I used FlexSeal. Don't use FlexSeal.

But as LeClubFett said, you'll probably have a better time just going straight to a hard plastic like Sintra. It's still easy to work with and will last a very long time. EVA degrades quickly. Syper wrote me a comment a little over a year ago on my EVA armor thread, I will link it below.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/how-taboo-eva-51627/

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back