Subscribe
    1 Week Ago - Jan 18, 2015, 11:22 PM - How taboo is EVA? #1

So I decided to try and build a Boba Fett on the cheap for May 4th and the release of the upcoming Star Wars. My previous experience has dealt mostly with EVA, as I made a Halo spartan suit out of it. I love the material, yet on these forums it seems like people really despise it. Though, I completely understand. It's cheap, weak, extremely flexible, wears easily, and generally falls apart after even a few uses if not properly cared for.
    But! It is super easy to work with and is extremely inexpensive. I started my suit with the stuff and will likely switch to Sintra (whenever I manage to find some), but for the time being, will EVA get me booed at?

Here's my armor so far, I just started. I kinda like the way it turned out. It was my first time painting on weathering, and I'm happy with it. I will almost definitely make adjustments and probably redo everything, but let me know what you guys think, eh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1610.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	84148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1611.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	936.5 KB 
ID:	84149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1612.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	988.6 KB 
ID:	84150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1615.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	84151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1616.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	84152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1617.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	84153

I just wanted to know the general community perspective on the use of EVA foam in building these suits! I would hate to disgrace.

Also, on a side note, what would be the best resource for building a jetpack out of wood? I have access to my school's woodshop and would like to turn the beacon on a lathe. I feel this would offer the cheapest, most durable, and most accurate product. Dunno, though, I have a lot to learn!

Thanks!
    1 Week Ago - Jan 19, 2015, 12:47 PM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #2

It looks good but the texture is really uneven which turns members a little against the material.
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    1 Week Ago - Jan 19, 2015, 1:53 PM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #3

I replaced a lot of my metal, more expensive, and more fragile costume parts with EVA & resin replicas for a Halloween event this year: EE3 blaster, shin tools, gauntlet parts.

I'm not sure if EVA would be acceptable for Legion approval. For some parts, if they look like the real thing they may get approved, depending on your GML officer. However, a lot of suit part CRL standards are very specific about the materials they are made from (wood, plastic, metal, fiberglass, etc.). That is only my opinion, please don't bank on this being true for every prospective member or garrison.
    1 Week Ago - Jan 19, 2015, 2:24 PM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #4

If you're just looking for something to wear out and impress your friends than EVA isn't a bad bet. Obivously looking to upgrade it if you're looking into 501st approval.
    1 Week Ago - Jan 19, 2015, 3:42 PM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #5

I'm not sure if EVA would be acceptable for Legion approval
    If you're just looking for something to wear out and impress your friends than EVA isn't a bad bet.
    Alright, good to know! Thanks guys!

Also, I forgot to mention it, but I coated the foam in FlexSeal spray on rubber to add rigidity and seal. That's why it has that sorta "hammered" texture.
    6 Days Ago - Jan 19, 2015, 6:01 PM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #6

Looks good though... That texture makes me think of N7 armor from Mass Effect.
  7. Member Since
    Apr 2013
    6 Days Ago - Jan 20, 2015, 2:52 AM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #7

Nice build! I myself work with EVA sometimes. I'm doing a republic commando armor though, and I would like it to be really high quality. Some stuff like the midriff and abs will still be EVA foam in order to maximize comfort. Going hybrid isn't too bad an idea I think.
    -ghost
    6 Days Ago - Jan 20, 2015, 11:13 AM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #8

Your EVA Boba armor looks great Brother, your defiantly a skilled painterJ here’s the bad news, over time as you know, that paint job is not going to hold up and you would spend most of your free time re-painting your armor over again before every troop. Like others have mentioned, if you are planning on wearing this suit two or maybe three times ever you should be ok. After a number of repaints you are going to wish you used sintra. I too love EVA foam, but it is what it is, cheap and not going to hold up over time if painted / trooped in.

Here’s my “Public Service Announcement”: EVA foam can lead young costume builders to Lazy Town. Once at Lazy Town, half bass can becomes good enough. Paint starts looking less then cool and soon your Boba Fett suit is on someone’s “Boba Don’t” list.

The Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club, also has issues with EVA foam for many of the same reasons, Looks cool at first but overall it's a poor building material that does not hold up well after painted.

Take Care Brother
    3 Days Ago - Jan 23, 2015, 1:52 PM - Re: How taboo is EVA? #9

Great work. agree with the guys too..