Official Jet Pack Beacon

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
Definitely in the switch.

I had similar problems with getting the right setup for my Trooper helemt using one switch with two fans,and two batteries.A SPDT switch fixed the mix-up I had.

You should only need a SPST switch for the beacon application though.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck yeah! It sounded like starter pistol. Now I am thinking about running the light wires out the back of the JP ands wiring it into a pouch. This way I can start the sealing process.

sounds like a problem I had with my last fan setup. I had a simple on/off switch, battery and fan set up. The battery connection had a red a black wire and I attached one each to the switch, then connected the fan the same way one wire to each post. I noticed the fan didnt go off and the battery got very hot. then I realized what I needed to do is simple connect the wires in a way that would have the switch attached to only one color. So that way my two black wires are attached to each other and one red wire is attached to each post on the switch. So maybe you were like me and just need to fix your wiring, simple mistake.

Jedi-Bob, glad that at least you're ok and safe. Have you tried BKBT's self-contained lighted beacon? That's the best choice and safest one so far.

P.S. Check your image hosting, specifically you "avatar", cause I can't see your pic now, don't know why.

Robert

TK-Fett wrote:

a red a black wire and I attached one each to the switch, then connected the fan the same way one wire to each post.

Yeah, that's connecting everything all together (i.e. pos and neg permanently looped together), which you don't want to do. A switch should only go on one set of wires, not both. Sounds like this is what may have happened.:facepalm

Believe me, I would have loved to get BKBT's self contained beacon, but funds are tight and I already had the resin beacon cut out.If this works the way I am hoping, I will have a steady white strobe (not fast flashing).

Hey guys, I've read some threads and found some info that the beacon could be a Braun Curling Iron tip, and here's the amazing info I found!! I know it's not the same, but it sure does look like almost dead on! All it's missing is the groove around the middle.

:D What do you all think???

braun_c20_l.jpg

C%2020.jpg

Bobo

Thanks! I'm just having a hard time trying to find the right one since the curling iron would be from the 70's most likely :p

Bobo

Good find, probably the closest I've seen so far, but:

1) the tip looks flattened on either side, whereas the actual beacon is round.

2) The shaft of the beacon is tapered in the middle, like an hourglass, whereas the curler shaft is straight.

3) The beacon has 4 columns of 4 slits equally spaced around the round beacon top, whereas the curler has 2 columns of 5 or 6 slits on each opposite sides.

Picture 55 on the ref CD shows it clearly.

It would fool most people at a con, or wherever, but as a found part, that specific one is not it, IMO.

Having said that it's a good find, and might be the beginning of a trail that leads to a found part. I have no idea about late 70's hair styling devices, but it's conceivable that what you have found, Bobo, is the modern day equivalent of the vintage part used. Keep looking, see where it takes you.

Good work. It's only by this sort of research that we'll find all the bits used.

Si

I can't remember exactly what all they are, but there were some other found parts used in SW costumes that originated from hair care appliances. Lando's Vibro Axe from Jabba's Palace is a perfect example.

Well it sure looks like we're on the right track with this. I'll keep searching! It would be great if something was found! ;)

Bobo

Good find that looks very close. You are totaly on the Right track. 8)
ST

fpotato, I like your beacon man, great drilling! :)
I'm planning to do the same soon, and I'm wondering...was it hard to drill that? I mean, did you break anything or was it fairly straightforward?

Thanks,
Bobo

the number of vents at the top is off. it is close. we maybe onto something here.

Not to burst your bubble but there's no way that the part. Yes it's darn close, but the close up shots of the MOM exhibit beacon show the slots going all the way around the part not just on the front.

Not that I know what it is, but I had gotten a catalog from the place that still sells the squeegee shin tool, and they had a microphone that reminded me of the beacon. I could see an old hand held microphone having a similar shape to the beacon, the top half of the microphone not the big bulbous mesh covered ones, but a slimmer model. Only problem is how do you track down a verity of vintage microphones from the late 70's that would show pics of the things to see if you could find something even close.

Hi guyz:).....yeah,that first post was mine,right before the I.D. got lost somewhere and i had to resubmit details [and unify the spelling!]......anyhow ,here as i posted recently is the stuff i was on about in that 1st post Yarhns ago............my dart launcher is a little chunky and i went with raised ribbs on it however the pics could easily represent the business end of the implements pictured ,in my orig post ,before i had the part ,and from a mates description,i thought i had a lead on the beacon ....the part was the other end of the hair curler and was TOO big...any how here is the pic......:)
http://ourworld.cs.com/mekroid/parts.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back