Wanting any MOW jet pack building tips/ideas please

The bungee method for the thrusters, I'd like to lay claim to this method because that's how I figured to attach mine, now I may not have been the first but I figured it out myself lol.
You'll drill holes to insert your thrusters to the jetpack, take 2 screw in hooks (like you'd hang a lamp or plant from the ceiling with) screw one into the end of each thuster insert, then just get a short bungee cord and hook it to each of the thrusters from the inside of the jet pack and viola! Done, thrusters will stay in place and still swivels and makes for easy breakdown when done.
As for the rocket , securely glue a long bolt to the bottom of the rocket, I drilled a small hole in my rocket and seated the bolt in the rocket about 1/2 inch. Drill a hole just big enough for the bolt/threaded rod on top of the jetpack where the rocket seats, use a washer and nut to screw on from the inside of the pack and done. I'll try and find the pics of my build from years back so you can see first hand. Hope it helps.
Here's the pics from my build 4 years ago, i didnt have any for the rocket, if I get the chance Ill take a few, here's the bungee thruster, I was using a big bungee rubber band thing at the time, but I think an actual bungee with the hooks on the ends works best.
View attachment 95251View attachment 95252View attachment 95253
Wow, cannot believe I had not heard of this before! This'll save my cones!

Rocket and thrusters are complete.
lARci9O.jpg

hikUVmL.jpg

A little homage to the comics for those you who are wondering why I went with a purple rocket and is in keeping with my Mandalorian protector theme.
eJOBVj6.jpg

Lynn

Jet pack sanded down, red spot glaze puttied, first color put down, all holes drilled for appropriate greeblies and harness attachment.
I got a '65 Mustang seat belt that I will be using for the lower harness point.
I got Shape ways piano keys for the Jet pack since they are missing on the Jango packs, they look pretty good on the pack.
qJq9cm8.jpg

SAixjF1.jpg

lwhw2d7.jpg

r5SLSIu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!!
Lynn

- - - Updated - - -

Main fuselage is now painted the main colors.
Weathering has been started, and greeblie detailing will begin.
qXUlcWz.jpg

Lynn

Weathered up and most greeblies added.
SEkvYuJ.jpg

kozlk9g.jpg

X1Cw26T.jpg

JoKj5DV.jpg

Waiting for final details to come in the mail and I will try my hand at wiring up a LED for my light beacon.
Lynn

I'm just about done with the jet pack. The light beacon is lite and I'm waiting on some more final details to arrive in mail.
TqdnYO5.jpg

V7lH4Gr.jpg

Still figuring out on how I want to attach it to the harness.
Lynn

The jet pack is finally detailed and done.
Hbb8Q46.jpg

I got the lower JP harness belt on.
BDju1qY.jpg

Since we are restoring a '65 Mustang and I just got done working on the interior in the fall, I felt the '65 Mustang seat belts looked really fitting for the pack so I got another one and used it for the lower attachment. It is simple quick click belt that works great

Since my upper harness attachment idea failed miserably I got new accurate ones coming for it that will be 10 yo boy friendly to attach.
Lynn

Very, very nice.

I am doing similar, by adding real greeblies to the jetpack as seen in the ROTJ jetpacks to replace the resin casts I have from years ago and never used.

What did you use as the other greeblies, and source if possible, for those you used on the bottom? I already know about the microphone connectors which I only need one, and I found one through Walmart online, but I need to know about the other ones.

My bottom greeblies are not accurate, but I felt they were suited for my pack.
SEkvYuJ.jpg

The two were mic phone jacks of some kind I got at radio shack, the one was a cable jack, and a light bulb I had kicking around in my greeblie parts box, and the knurled knob looking thing is a tire valve remover tool with the cross part knocked out of it.
Lynn

To be honest, I'm not sure why MOW hasn't made a new mold for some of those pieces, especially the rocket. I'll live with the pits in the body because those can be easily filled, but I'm fairly unimpressed with the cleanliness of some of his recent casts.
Just as an update about your comment saying that MoW haven't updated his molds. Well, I've just received a pack from him last week with such smooth surfaces, specially the rocket. I was really impressed. Yeah, the filler holes in the back are a workout. I will see as soon as I start working with that.

He might have redone his molds recently, since there was a period of time recently that he didn't post a jetpack for sale for quite some time, hence the reason I got a really nice clean and smooth cast.

Greebly second from the left I believe is called a "BNC" connector, it is kind of like a 1/4 turn twist lock and is used for things like syncing word clock on digital music recording devices. You might try Full Compass.com or Sweetwater.com. The mic connectors on the other side are panel mount XLR connectors. I'll check the reference pics and edit in a bit to determine if they are male or female!
Edit: looks like they were both,but the kicker is they were definately different pin configurations depending on the prepro version of the jp. So, depending on how accurate you want to be, they could be 3, 4, or 5 pin connectors according to the wiki. 3 are the most common and as I probably have some laying around,I'll probabaly use those for my JP.
Hope some of this helps.
Main

Last edited by a moderator:
Greebly second from the left I believe is called a "BNC" connector, it is kind of like a 1/4 turn twist lock and is used for things like syncing word clock on digital music recording devices.
Yes, they're BNC Connectors (just found last night), and also used to connect military radio UHF antennas. The mic connectors are FEMALE, and it was a 5-pin version used in the original(s). Just not sure what model was used, but they're surely missing the "release tab" on the connector.

Thanks for the links to see the other options out there.

Yes, they're BNC Connectors (just found last night), and also used to connect military radio UHF antennas. The mic connectors are FEMALE, and it was a 5-pin version used in the original(s). Just not sure what model was used, but they're surely missing the "release tab" on the connector.

Thanks for the links to see the other options out there.

I'm not sure if they (jp) were originally built in the states or in the UK? Switchcraft is a very common brand of mic connector that is US made and sold by everyone and Neutrik is a German made one that is also just as available and honestly they look almost identical. Even if you had high res photos of the pack, you still might not be able to determine the make without eyeballing it in person. Hope I'm not raising more questions than I'm answering!
Good luck in your research.

I'm not sure if they (jp) were originally built in the states or in the UK? Switchcraft is a very common brand of mic connector that is US made and sold by everyone and Neutrik is a German made one that is also just as available and honestly they look almost identical. Even if you had high res photos of the pack, you still might not be able to determine the make without eyeballing it in person. Hope I'm not raising more questions than I'm answering!
Good luck in your research.
Really good point. Thanks for the info.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back