NEW BOBA FETT ROTJ BUILD

11/27 - quick update! So MinuteFett is doing a Black Friday sale on his Etsy (for anyone who doesn’t know him, check his stuff out!). I ended up persuading my brother into getting me a ROTJ resin helmet kit for a sweet deal! MinuteFett reached out and noticed the same last name and address from my brothers order for the helmet and offered to get the helmet and armor shipped out together in the next week or two! So very exciting but also nervous to paint, especially the helmet!

12/2 - 11/30 was my birthday and I was very very fortunate to get this awesome gift from my cousin. He got me an airbrush and compressor! Now that I have this, I’m wondering if I should go with the air brush for my painting (armor, helmet) and ditch the spray paint cans. What do you guys think? Also if anyone has a color guide they’d like to share, please do!

Attachments

• 3EA1B6A3-1AEF-4D1D-B9BE-C1311E69A756.jpeg
    3EA1B6A3-1AEF-4D1D-B9BE-C1311E69A756.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
mjwierzb
Some nice gifts you got there! If you've been in my WIP thread, You'll notice that I used an airbrush for my build. Only rattle cans I had were Rustoleum Primer, Matte Clear Sealer and an Enamel Sealer. I also have a "Krylon - Matte Spanish Moss" can of spray paint that I only used for the little "501st Level II Cert" piece of plastic that goes on the cape. This was before I got my Airbrush - which I received as a Father Day gift. aside from that, everything I did was airbrushed.

Side note.....I had zero training on the airbrush and really only played with it a few times on sheets of paper to get the hang of using it. I also have a Master AirBrush/iWata Combo. I use a Master AirBrush TC-40T Compressor and an iWata Eclipse HP-CS AirBrush. Both have served me well. I should think yours will as well. I can come up with a list of paints I used for you this evening on what manufacturers and colors to hunt for.

What I liked about using the Airbrush was the amount of control I had over the paint. For me, I didn't mix too many colors to get what I needed, mostly my colors came right from the bottles of paint. But I can explain what colors I did mix.

-Iron

mjwierzb
Some nice gifts you got there! If you've been in my WIP thread, You'll notice that I used an airbrush for my build. Only rattle cans I had were Rustoleum Primer, Matte Clear Sealer and an Enamel Sealer. I also have a "Krylon - Matte Spanish Moss" can of spray paint that I only used for the little "501st Level II Cert" piece of plastic that goes on the cape. This was before I got my Airbrush - which I received as a Father Day gift. aside from that, everything I did was airbrushed.

Side note.....I had zero training on the airbrush and really only played with it a few times on sheets of paper to get the hang of using it. I also have a Master AirBrush/iWata Combo. I use a Master AirBrush TC-40T Compressor and an iWata Eclipse HP-CS AirBrush. Both have served me well. I should think yours will as well. I can come up with a list of paints I used for you this evening on what manufacturers and colors to hunt for.

What I liked about using the Airbrush was the amount of control I had over the paint. For me, I didn't mix too many colors to get what I needed, mostly my colors came right from the bottles of paint. But I can explain what colors I did mix.

-Iron
The only issue is I have all this spray paint now and now idk what to do with it LOL I almost feel guilty not using it but if the airbrush will provide better results then that’s the route I’m willing to take. I would appreciate a paint list, that would be awesome! Basically just for the body armor, shoulders, knees, and helmet. Like I said, I have a bunch of spray paint so if I can’t find something for the airbrush I’ll use the spray cans!

mjwierzb
My apologies on not getting the paint list earlier - this one kinda got away from me. But here it is! Also, I don't like to do any color mixing and only did so on the armor parts and a couple other places which I've made note of. Otherwise these were not mixed at all. Let me know if you have any questions.

ManufacturerPaint NamePaint NumberPiece PaintedNotes
Tamiya ColorChrome SilverX-11Base on EverythingYou'll need a lot of this stuff to do a full Fett.
Tamiya ColorDeep GreenXF-26ArmorI used just a tiny drop of white to lighten to closely match Boba Maker.
Tamiya ColorDark YellowXF-60ArmorUsed to topically apply via brush for damage
Tamiya ColorGray GreenXF-76ArmorUsed to topically apply via brush for light scratch marks.
Tamiya ColorWhiteX-2Various/JetpackOnly used where needed to light colors up, and for Jetpack.
VallejoBlack70.950Various/Jetpack/EE-3Only used where needed to darken colors, and for jetpack.
HumbrolOxford BlueMatt 104JetpackThis stuff is very thick and requires thinner to shoot from airbrush.
Vallejo AirGold Yellow72.707JetpackThis stuff goes on great via airbrush. Make sure to seal before you tape.
HumbrolWineMatt 73JetpackThis stuff is very thick and require thinner to shoot from airbrush.
VallejoTransparent Red70.934JetpackUsed on the Rocket - used a tiny drop of black to darken.
Vallejo Game ColorGory Red72.011Gauntlets (and Helmet - Mandibles)Used Vallejo's Airbrush Flow Improver to shoot out of my airbrush.
VallejoFlat Red70.957GauntletsFor Key Pad
VallejoDark Blue70.930GauntletsFor Key Pad
Vallejo Game ColorDark Green72.028HelmetBack Panels
Tamiya ColorIJN GreyXF-77HelmetKeyhole Slots
Tamiya ColorSea BlueXF-17HelmetUpper Cheek - Despite the name, this color looks almost black with that hint of Dark Blue. It looks great I thought!
HumbrolOlivgrunMatt 252HelmetLower Cheeks and Dome
Vallejo Game ColorOrange Fire72.008HelmetKillstripes
Vallejo WashGrey76.516HelmetEar Caps - Applied via large brush.
VallejoAirbrush Flow Improver71.462Almost everythingOnly used where the paint was too thick to shoot. This does NOTHING to alter the color. Just makes it easier on the airbrush to shoot.

I'm trying to recall if there we're any others I used - and if I think of them I'll edit this and post them here.

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
The only issue is I have all this spray paint now and now idk what to do with it LOL I almost feel guilty not using it but if the airbrush will provide better results then that’s the route I’m willing to take. I would appreciate a paint list, that would be awesome! Basically just for the body armor, shoulders, knees, and helmet. Like I said, I have a bunch of spray paint so if I can’t find something for the airbrush I’ll use the spray cans!
Hey just so you know, spray paint works great in an airbrush because it’s already thinned down to be sprayed. I followed this video on how to decant some Tamiya spray cans into smaller jars for airbrushing:

Hey just so you know, spray paint works great in an airbrush because it’s already thinned down to be sprayed. I followed this video on how to decant some Tamiya spray cans into smaller jars for airbrushing:
It never occurred to me to try this.
Thank you for the idea!

mjwierzb
My apologies on not getting the paint list earlier - this one kinda got away from me. But here it is! Also, I don't like to do any color mixing and only did so on the armor parts and a couple other places which I've made note of. Otherwise these were not mixed at all. Let me know if you have any questions.

ManufacturerPaint NamePaint NumberPiece PaintedNotes
Tamiya ColorChrome SilverX-11Base on EverythingYou'll need a lot of this stuff to do a full Fett.
Tamiya ColorDeep GreenXF-26ArmorI used just a tiny drop of white to lighten to closely match Boba Maker.
Tamiya ColorDark YellowXF-60ArmorUsed to topically apply via brush for damage
Tamiya ColorGray GreenXF-76ArmorUsed to topically apply via brush for light scratch marks.
Tamiya ColorWhiteX-2Various/JetpackOnly used where needed to light colors up, and for Jetpack.
VallejoBlack70.950Various/Jetpack/EE-3Only used where needed to darken colors, and for jetpack.
HumbrolOxford BlueMatt 104JetpackThis stuff is very thick and requires thinner to shoot from airbrush.
Vallejo AirGold Yellow72.707JetpackThis stuff goes on great via airbrush. Make sure to seal before you tape.
HumbrolWineMatt 73JetpackThis stuff is very thick and require thinner to shoot from airbrush.
VallejoTransparent Red70.934JetpackUsed on the Rocket - used a tiny drop of black to darken.
Vallejo Game ColorGory Red72.011Gauntlets (and Helmet - Mandibles)Used Vallejo's Airbrush Flow Improver to shoot out of my airbrush.
VallejoFlat Red70.957GauntletsFor Key Pad
VallejoDark Blue70.930GauntletsFor Key Pad
Vallejo Game ColorDark Green72.028HelmetBack Panels
Tamiya ColorIJN GreyXF-77HelmetKeyhole Slots
Tamiya ColorSea BlueXF-17HelmetUpper Cheek - Despite the name, this color looks almost black with that hint of Dark Blue. It looks great I thought!
HumbrolOlivgrunMatt 252HelmetLower Cheeks and Dome
Vallejo Game ColorOrange Fire72.008HelmetKillstripes
Vallejo WashGrey76.516HelmetEar Caps - Applied via large brush.
VallejoAirbrush Flow Improver71.462Almost everythingOnly used where the paint was too thick to shoot. This does NOTHING to alter the color. Just makes it easier on the airbrush to shoot.

I'm trying to recall if there we're any others I used - and if I think of them I'll edit this and post them here.

Thanks,
-Iron
Thank you for that man! I actually did some testing with my airbrush today, I love it!

mjwierzb
I enjoyed it as well. I just like how you have so much more control over the paint as opposed to the rattlers. Nothing wrong with rattlers - just a preference. My only gripe with the airbrush.....is having to clean it EVERY TIME you switch colors. That part of it got old, I used up tons of paper towels. But I was super happy with the results I got from it. Also SOOO many more paint choices to choose from too! Which could also be a bad thing as you sometimes find yourself wondering - what if this doesn't work? And yes there are a few paints I didn't use because of that. But those are NOT listed on my paint list above.

-Iron

mjwierzb
I enjoyed it as well. I just like how you have so much more control over the paint as opposed to the rattlers. Nothing wrong with rattlers - just a preference. My only gripe with the airbrush.....is having to clean it EVERY TIME you switch colors. That part of it got old, I used up tons of paper towels. But I was super happy with the results I got from it. Also SOOO many more paint choices to choose from too! Which could also be a bad thing as you sometimes find yourself wondering - what if this doesn't work? And yes there are a few paints I didn't use because of that. But those are NOT listed on my paint list above.

-Iron
Oh I know, the cleaning process is a real tedious task. I agree, you have way more control over the paint it’s super convenient. I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and ended up getting just black, reducer, and cleaner for now but I couldn’t believe all the colors they had. I actually also got my cape there as well, had it cut to size and I’ll be working on that soon!

12/15 - another update! I’m starting to redo my jet pack, laid down some primer for tonight. Also got an LED hooked up to my gauntlet! I was told my armor was shipping out today, hoping to get it soon!

Attachments

• 4AF72DD0-ACF2-47AD-A801-9BF97C4BC35F.jpeg
    4AF72DD0-ACF2-47AD-A801-9BF97C4BC35F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
  • 76252B2D-9E78-4FFB-B2B6-AFCE4981D173.jpeg
    76252B2D-9E78-4FFB-B2B6-AFCE4981D173.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 189
  • E1406453-BEC6-460B-B3E0-D78921F14A00.jpeg
    E1406453-BEC6-460B-B3E0-D78921F14A00.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
Looking good mjwierzb - wondering what version of Fett you are building? The Jetpack is the Mandolorian pack I believe. Not too familiar with that pack, but the thrusters are IDENTICAL. Are they supposed to be that way with the adjustment knobs on the same side like that...?

Looking good mjwierzb - wondering what version of Fett you are building? The Jetpack is the Mandolorian pack I believe. Not too familiar with that pack, but the thrusters are IDENTICAL. Are they supposed to be that way with the adjustment knobs on the same side like that...?
Hey! I’m doing the ROTJ Hero! From everything I’ve seen (other costumes on here) this is the right style pack for Boba. The Mandalorian pack looks a tad different, I included some photos to showcase the differences!

Attachments

• 3A28E459-11D4-4DEE-A873-ED0EE909B38A.png
    3A28E459-11D4-4DEE-A873-ED0EE909B38A.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 8338CB86-CAEA-4889-A464-476DE7319737.jpeg
    8338CB86-CAEA-4889-A464-476DE7319737.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 91CFDD8C-C2FD-4716-A69C-C4EEE70CC741.png
    91CFDD8C-C2FD-4716-A69C-C4EEE70CC741.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 162
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back