My Rick Massa Shadowfax ROTJ Armor Build Thread

No I didn't mean it in the sense of go to a commissioned painter. I'm just saying it's like playing the telephone game with regards to details, you'll miss stuff or get things added that shouldn't be there. Nothing about you not being good enough. I'm simply saying, you're painting an ROTJ helmet to look like what was used in the film... not painting an ROTJ helmet of a painting of the ROTJ helmet that was used in the film.

OK I think my back panels are finally done as well as the top and bottom cheeks and green on the dome and kill stripes. That only leaves the red and all final weathering on the dome and red. I adjusted the green damage on the cheeks a little and also the damage on the back panels. 3rd times a charm.

Xma20VU.jpg

dQWYspW.jpg

KCpAp7j.jpg

9aQXipd.jpg

Tbbg74U.jpg

fktjlD0.png

8TboZgL.jpg

So I am calling the cheeks, back panels, ears, rangefinder all done. I now have to weather the red and dome. The red looks very bright in this photo but we already know about my phone.

Wyck1pB.jpg

Here is one taken through an app.

HX0rTCF.jpg

You can see the journey of where this helmet started

fj0MMt0.jpg

t1loyPV.jpg

I also attached my braids to the vest

QIGz82X.jpg

The red in the video looks more subdued than the images. Not sure if that makes any sense at all.... Looks great tho! Topically for the damage on the mandibles and dome? Have you pre-fit the visor already (one image I see it looks like it’s installed)?

The red in the video looks more subdued than the images. Not sure if that makes any sense at all.... Looks great tho! Topically for the damage on the mandibles and dome? Have you pre-fit the visor already (one image I see it looks like it’s installed)?
The helmet was done when I got it so the visor was installed with silicone. I will just do the same to put it back in. Yeah my camera phone brightens up all colors but the video is a little closer to normal. I was thinking of misting black before I weathered the mandibles but decided against it. I will weather all the rest of the helmet topically and then a final misting and seal it. Its been raining for 2 days so I need the weather to clear up.

I did the topical silver and grey damage on the mandibles. I suck at painting with a brush but I'm trying my best. I think it came out pretty good.

tPNxQS9.jpg

yRx53xB.jpg

kMhWLPi.jpg

HXEJRDP.jpg

WfajZaH.jpg

fSJndDZ.jpg

0KXzd7u.jpg

eboHQJc.jpg

On to the dome damage

Looking really, really good man!

I like the comment about the “ugly helmet” - I think that’s why a lot of people build the SE version cause it’s essentially the ROTJ version with ESB helmet...

That helmet looks great, well done!

I was too scared to attempt mine so bought one from another member, I've got a lot of respect for anyone that can complete one of these.

That helmet looks great, well done!

I was too scared to attempt mine so bought one from another member, I've got a lot of respect for anyone that can complete one of these.
It is no easy task but I’m really glad I tried it. I understand why so many people just have them commissioned.

The time has come for hanging the jetpack. I had rebuilt Rick's jetpack harness because he originally built it upside down but I kept all of his measurements. This was made for his Sith planet Pack. I am using the MOW pack so I knew the harness would probably need to be adjusted. I had someone weld all of the frame together except for the crossbar because I knew it would probably have to move up or down and I was right. I decided to change all of Ricks strapping for a new seatbelt strap like he used to connect my divers belt. I changed the other seatbelt shoulder strapping to adjustable 1" nylon with parachute clips. I wanted it adjustable. I also added a crossbar across my chest also adjustable.

p70HEsg.jpg

So I went to Toycon and with the Help of Donnie, Taylor, Rodney, and Albert we were able to get this first look.

fcZeIvt.png

You can see I was using Deathproof's pictures and I thought I did a pretty good job of getting the look he had. But then I looked again at the CRL and noticed this:

nQDsL4L.png

It was too high. I also look at screen used photos and it confirmed I had it way to high. I was pissed because it fit really snug and comfortable. So I moved it down when i got home and got this.

v2ccQnu.jpg

qNWuLwG.png

It was lowered by 1.5 inches and was better but was now slanting. We realized my bottom clips were not even so we move one about an 8th of an inch and got this.

CVhW9PN.png

gMCpeDl.png

I think it is a lot better but some could argue it still looks a little high. I can't lower the bar any more on the frame so if I am going to lower it any more, say maybe another 1.5 inches, I would have to do it by moving the clips on the pack. Looking at mine against the CRL my pack looks much larger than his. I forget who his maker was. He is also taller than me so it looks smaller. I think the CRL model is close to 6' I am 5'7' so the pack looks about 5" larger on me. I was also curious to see how Rick's Sith Planet looked, I had to move the shoulder straps that attach to the clips and it looked like this:

URGbih4.png

xQRzcNh.png

I think it some ways it actually looks better because it is a smaller pack but it is not molded as accurately as the MOW I am told. At this time my flight suit is at the Tailors getting the Sleeves tightened and today I will sew button hole sticking on the flackvest. Last day of work before I go back July 8th so last big push to finish before Heroes and Villains Con.

So yesterday I did a test fit and took some photos

XkIP6CS.jpg

Fu3a99s.jpg

kzBnKTi.jpg

TxHyrRN.jpg

Ju2Jm9F.jpg

Ogj9Qdv.jpg

I know the blaster is no good. It's a hasbro. Rick had one and he trooped with it but when I got it it was missing the stock. I got another hasbro and painted it just to display. I have the Anovos EE# on order.

So things to do:

Remember the battery in the chest display.

Remember the shin tools.

Weather the gloves, spats, flight suit, and knee strapping.

Adjust the fit of the gauntlets by removing the padding.

Adjust the hose length.

Trim some of the girth belt strap overhang

make sure no velcro is visible

fix the location of the chest plates

and anything else I notice or am told about

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back