My humble ESB Fett build (so far)

So, as I stated in my intro thread, I am (very) slowly working on my first build: the classic ESB Boba Fett. Here's what I have so far (with some relatively decent photos)

Bucket: Hasbro Black Series helmet (slowly modifying)

20200903_210539.jpg
20200903_210620.jpg

Chest, collar, and back armor (Bobamaker), chest lighting kit by Fettronics

20200703_223851.jpg
20200709_202941.jpg

Jetpack (Man of War) "damaged"

20200723_085919.jpg

EE-3 rifle (3D kit off Etsy) sadly it is undersized by about 10%

1599169077737226.jpg

Gauntlets (Man of War) completely unstarted (aka no pics)

Material for the jumpsuit, vest, neck seal, fasteners, zippers, brass eyelets from JoAnn Fabrics (to be assembled by my brother) diver's buckle from Amazon with 2" black webbing from JoAnn's
No pics

I'm planning to buy boots from Imperial boots, harness from Etsy or eBay or custom make myself... somehow... the other pieces or armor (shoulder pads, knee pads, cod and kidney) i have yet to source. Bobamaker is ideal, but my budget is limited as of now. Either I wait to afford spending on the best, or I find less accurate, lower quality pieces. Time will tell.

Anyway, my brother and I have some pretty solid plans (or at least ideas) for finishing what we've already accumulated. But any input or suggestions are welcome and would be greatly appreciated.

Do let me know what you all think. Be gentle. Haha kidding. I know this is a helpful community. I know i will learn a lot with help from you talented chaps.

Attachments

• 20200903_210755.jpg
    20200903_210755.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 339
MrFusion1138
A nice list and parts you've acquired thus far. I'm afraid I wouldn't be too much help as I'm also a new comer to the CosPlay world, and I'm doing presently doing the ROTJ variant of Fett (Feel free to stop by my WIP if you wish(y)). Also, thanks for the raw photo of the "Damaged" MoW Jetpack. I've seen it on MoW's site and always wondered what they actually look like. I see now that MoW has got his new finished Jet Pack molds and "Undamaged" JetPacks for sale. However I see some filling and sanding in your future. ;) Are going to be wanting approval from the 501st? Or are you just doing an ESB Fett for recreational use (e.g. Display/Halloween)?

Welcome and best of luck to you on the journey.

-Iron

Thanks, Iron! There is a LOT of sanding and filling to do on the jetpack. Like, so much. :lol:

I'm not going for 501st approval now. Halloween, parties, small conventions, etc.. I may think about it in the future, though. I am planning to be as accurate as possible, but I know i won't be able to right now.

I'm starting my ROTJ Fett this summer. I'll be ordering all the helmet, jetpack, and armor from Bobamaker this month. I also decided on Imperial boots (when they reopen). Any luck with the foot spikes (aluminum or plastic)? I'm having a hell of a time locating a decent E33. Ive been all over Etsy with little success. I did stumble across Fettronics tho. I like his dedication. I am a member of the 501st and this looks to be a much more involved build than my TK was. I'll keep an eye on your build and I'll post some pics when I get started. Keep up the good work Brother.

Thanks! I'll be looking for your build too! I've seen some good aluminum pieces on Etsy. But most are outside the US.

I've not done much on Boba lately. My brother and I have been working on a Star... Trek model kit. Don't worry, I love Trek and Wars equally lol. Plus we've had this kit in our possession since 2005.

Of course with the new season of Mandalorian out I decided to have a good look at my Boba build. I've also looked into trying to make the rest of my armor out of PVC sheets. It won't be long before I dive back into it.

Don't feel guilty, I purchased every Star Trek chip about 10 years ago on eBay and haven't touched them since. Resin kit for the Nebula refit and Onberth as well. I'll never get to all the projects I "plan" on doing.

I'm going to start painting my armor soon (base silver already done). I'm planning on using my airbrush. For numerous reasons I'll be using acrylic paint (I still need to get comfortable with it) and I've come to understand Vallejo is a good brand. It looks like most people use Humbrol, but I've found it rather difficult to find.

All that said, here's what I have:
- Vallejo 70.893 US Dark Green
- Vallejo 70.894 Olive Green
- Vallejo 70.891 Intermediate Green
- Vallejo 70.992 Neutral Gray
- Testors MM 4721 Insignia Yellow
- Testors MM 4851 Zinc Chromate Yellow

Are y'all familiar enough with the Vallejo greens to recommend some good mixes? I'm counting on some trial and error, but if anyone has some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. I also have Hobby Lobby and Michael's within 30 minutes of my house, I should be able to grab additional bottles of Vallejo and Testors.

Wish me luck!

MrFusion1138
And just my two cents, and maybe its just me, but I've found Humbrol paints to be incredibly thick. I've used a couple for my Jetpack and a couple for my helmet and both instances even after thinned out and what looked like to be the correct consistency - it was not fun shooting it outta my airbrush. Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with the results and how it all looked. but I'm going to be re-doing my helmet after a mistake I made, and currently.......I'm on the fence about using Humbrol on it again. I'm primarily used Vallejo and with the Airbrush Flow Improver on my ROTJ Boba Project......and its worked great!

One note, if you are to use the Vallejo "Air" line of paints, just know to seal your work before you tape it up. Otherwise the paint WILL come right off with the tape. But I've always sealed my work no matter the paint. ;) And that is where I shot myself in the foot too. I sprayed my clear sealant too close to my helmet and got that "Vein" effect on it. o_O

-Iron

MrFusion1138
And just my two cents, and maybe its just me, but I've found Humbrol paints to be incredibly thick. I've used a couple for my Jetpack and a couple for my helmet and both instances even after thinned out and what looked like to be the correct consistency - it was not fun shooting it outta my airbrush. Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with the results and how it all looked. but I'm going to be re-doing my helmet after a mistake I made, and currently.......I'm on the fence about using Humbrol on it again. I'm primarily used Vallejo and with the Airbrush Flow Improver on my ROTJ Boba Project......and its worked great!

One note, if you are to use the Vallejo "Air" line of paints, just know to seal your work before you tape it up. Otherwise the paint WILL come right off with the tape. But I've always sealed my work no matter the paint. ;)

Thanks for the advice, Irongladiator

I'm not using Vallejo "Air," just the regular acrylic. I'd like to give it a try. One of my bigger challenges with airbrushing (acrylics especially) is figuring out the right thinner-to-paint ratio. I've read that Vallejo "Air" is ready to go, straight out of the bottle.

You mentioned tape. Do you also use liquid latex? If so, what has been your experience? I've considered using it for the finer details. But if the same effect can be achieved with paint, I'll stick with that.

Updates soon!... I hope. Lol

MrFusion1138
You are correct, the Vallejo "Air" is indeed ready to shoot straight from the bottle! Its one of the reasons I like em'. However I do notice that it is a bit thin and you go through it quicker (In my opinion) - but the color is outstanding. Since this is my first airbrush project ever, I went with the advice of many on here who are experienced Airbrushers - In that you want to have a milky kind of consistency. I have found that using Vallejo's "Air Brush Flow Improver" with the normal acrylics does an outstanding job in getting the thickness toned down so you can shoot it! And honestly I didn't find it all that hard to find that happy medium as far as consistency goes.
Airbrush Flow Improver.jpg

So for the tape, I used:
1) Hobby Lobby's "Hobby Tape" (General Use)
2) Tamiya's "6mm" (for small stuff)
3) Tamiya's "Flex Tape" (Specifically for the Helmet Cheek Curves)
Hobby Tape.jpg

I have heard of others using the “Frog” Yellow brand of tape and like it for its delicate nature, something that I feel the Hobby Lobby and Tamiya tapes do well in - being that they are hobby tapes. ;)

And yes.....I used Humbrol's Maskol (Liquid Masking) for damage, scratching, effects etc.
Humbrol.jpg

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
MrFusion1138
You are correct, the Vallejo "Air" is indeed ready to shoot straight from the bottle! Its one of the reasons I like em'. However I do notice that it is a bit thin and you go through it quicker (In my opinion) - but the color is outstanding. Since this is my first airbrush project ever, I went with the advice of many on here who are experienced Airbrushers - In that you want to have a milky kind of consistency. I have found that using Vallejo's "Air Brush Flow Improver" with the normal acrylics does an outstanding job in getting the thickness toned down so you can shoot it! And honestly I didn't find it all that hard to find that happy medium as far as consistency goes.
View attachment 205112

So for the tape, I used:
1) Hobby Lobby's "Hobby Tape" (General Use)
2) Tamiya's "6mm" (for small stuff)
3) Tamiya's "Flex Tape" (Specifically for the Helmet Cheek Curves)
View attachment 205113
I have heard of others using the “Frog” Yellow brand of tape and like it for its delicate nature, something that I feel the Hobby Lobby and Tamiya tapes do well in - being that they are hobby tapes. ;)

And yes.....I used Humbrol's Maskol (Liquid Masking) for damage, scratching, effects etc.
View attachment 205115

Thanks,
-Iron
Thanks, man!

And the painting begins...

I feel like I have a pretty decent color going. I've also (with my brother's help lol) painted the chest and collar pieces. I need to let them dry before removing the latex. Although I need to make a new mix for the left breast plate.20210131_164815.jpg20210131_164820.jpg

Last edited:
After removing the latex from the pieces I'm thinking I might want to redo them. Especially after I carelessly left a finger print in the paint.

The paint also ran in a few spots. I'm hoping some extremely fine grit sandpaper will help.20210201_153257.jpg20210201_153246.jpg
-Josh

Last edited:
I don’t think you need to re-do anything, fine sandpaper or 000 steel wool and you’re good to go! With all the misting and weathering that goes on top you’ll have no trouble covering up imperfections.

Thanks for the recommendations and encouragement, fellas. I will need to repaint the right breast plate. I finished it with the same green, totally spacing and forgetting it needs to be a shade or two darker. I also neglected to do the two layers of grays. I think I'll work on the left plate and ab plate before anything else.

I put one coat of dullcoat onto the left breast and ab plates. I started on the yellow trim, too. I think the ab plate looks pretty solid, but I'm going to need to refine the chest plate considerably.
20210207_172623.jpg20210207_164630.jpg20210207_172637.jpg

- Josh

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back