Making some gauntlets

MonCal

Active Hunter
In an effort to make our Zam V2 even better I have begun making the gauntlets:

mygauntlets02smif7.jpg

mygauntlets03smdu5.jpg

mygauntlets04smgj9.jpg

mygauntlets05smxh5.jpg

It's a little crude so my plan is to mold this, make a casting and clean up, sand, and fine tune the casting then make another mold .. actually 2 more molds because I need one for each half so it can hinge open like the original.

Yeah... so very crude... :rolleyes What are those again? I can't quite tell? ;)

The Zam God has started a new prop project! YEAHHHH!!! :D :D Can't wait to see the progress pics and finished product! :D :D Keep us posted!

Wow!
Those look nice.
Crude would be what it looked like if I tried ;)
Yeah, these are something I'm planning to buy from someone LOL

Thanks all!! :)
I know ... I'm crazy anal and super self critical.
It's good to make something for Zam again ... that's new anyway ;) New projects get the juices flowing again.

I actually noticed a mistake. I didn't allow space for the hinge on the bottom so I need to make my trim line a little wider but I think once I cast it and clean, sand and fine tune it should work out nicely.

I'm excited to make a new zam that will hopefully be better than our first suit.... I will be glad when I'm done though :)

It's really amazing mate !! REALLY REALLY AMAZING !!!

I'm dying to see it finished, and off course, I dont have to tell you this but, I want 1 copy of this beast !!! ;)

Keep on working so hard mate, you are amazing ;)

Thanks guys/gals! I'm really excited to make these :)

Ben, you know it.. I think I can probably help you out ;)

Yvonne, I use classic clay (soft). It stays soft forever. A lot of sculptors in the local art community use the same clay as do some of the sculptors in my family so that's basically why I started using it. I don't have much experience with other brands.

I noticed you have it on a pole. Did you construct a turning thingamagig? Cause I am thinking you used it like a potter's wheel. Ok, it's a lot like plasticine clay then. Makes sense...

Moncal,

That's looking awesome! Out of interest how has anyone else placed the leather brim fully around the gaunlet? Me and Becky struggled for well over 5 hrs Sunday (and another 6 on Saturday) until we finally cracked it :)

I also notice you mention this baby will be hinged? Do you have any pictures of this please dude?

Also we had the cool idea of making that indented 'troph' shape some sort of detactable knife. I love magnets and this is a good excuse. Any know what it is for? I'm talking about the rarely seen greeblie on the back of her gaunlet?
Please say knife :)

Ta

John

Unfortuneately, the little finger looking thing thing aint a knife. But a cool idea. If you look at the NY shots from Kristin, you will see the piece.

Unfortuneately, the little finger looking thing thing aint a knife. But a cool idea. If you look at the NY shots from Kristin, you will see the piece.

Yeah but it could be knife! :)
I've searched high and low for a description of what it's for and to no avail. I have been looking at the NY shots yes. Going to make a mould for one this weekend and look into vac forming some sort of 'shoe' for it.
Although looking at it, It could be a totally seperate piece that's attached to her arm, not so much the gauntlet. Much like her armed greeblie above her elbow?
Hence my idea for a 2 piece knife/holster thingy. She pulls it out of her gauntlet and slashes folk!
After all, she is an assassin!

Looks cool whatever it is

PS: I'm not a knife nut

I know for a fact, that they didn't mold a knife in there, and it is part of the gauntlet. But hey, it's a great idea that would make yours different ;) I don't quite understand vac'ing a 'shoe' but post if you do! I am interested in methods.

Do you have other pictures of this little baby lying around anywhere?

The 'shoe' refers to moulding I'd do so it would glue into the inside of her gauntlet. It would have a negative receased dip in it for the greeblie to sit in. In there would be a magnet so it holds on.
(I'd just push the greeblie down into clay and then vac form over the shape it left in the clay :)

That way the greeblie would sit nice and snug in the female negative 'shoe' It would look like it's one solid unit but it would allow Becky to rip it off and stab people, LOL

Ok, so it's not a knife :(

I wrapped my old gauntlets with leather and it's not that difficult ... gotta practice a bit before putting any glue on though ;)

I use sheepskin skiver leather which is very soft and stretchy. You need to cut it out to match the shape but it will wrap around and tuck into the little groove. The same process is needed for the chest armor and shinguards.

I just formed the clay onto the pole and went after it ;) .. use a lot of tools and staight edges etc. I do the same thing on my other stuff if you've seen my scout or snowtrooper threads on the other forums.

so it appears the master may be getting more interest form me...good god cal...your breaking my bank..hehe

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back