Mainst's ESB paint up on Animefan Premium FP lid

Very nice! Whose list are you using?

My paint list is kinda an amalgamation of a few lists, based on several factors. Those being availability of paint, whether it is an enamel or acrylic, how energetic I think I'll be at cleanup time (acrylic vs enamel) and so on.

I'm gonna list what I used though. In case it might help someone.

EDIT:
OK, here's what I'm gonna do, I'm going to break out the nice camera, shoot this crap in RAW with a grayscale card in there so I can correctly set the white balance to repro these colors. I still don't think that ear looks that crappy, and I was holding the concrete (which is just Model Master BTW) up to reference photos and I still think it looks pretty good. I thought at first it might be too dark, but that was when I was using the above pic to look at. However, when I compared it with the helmet in my hand, it looked better. So first thing tomorrow, before I start masking and mixing, I'm going to shoot new pics of the thing. Gonna break out the 5D Mk II and an L lens and see what we can do about some accurate color photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
back%20panel%20tan.jpg

Took an outdoor pic while I was masking today. I used a grey card and corrected color in RAW on these pics and I feel like they're pretty accurate to what I see with the naked eye. The concrete is Model Master Concrete.

Got the green sprayed on... It was a custom mix. I bought some Tamiya acrylics that online, looked like a good match for the back panel green. However, on arrival neither were suitable. SO, I mixed them about 1:1, added some bright blue, and some black and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

back%20panel%20green.jpg

bpgreen2.jpg

Got some green on the dome. I haven't finished the back panels yet, but I just couldn't stand it. I had to get some green on there!

image.jpg2_2.jpg

image.jpg3_1.jpg

image.jpg1_7.jpg

Once again, the colors look a little off to me, so I may take it outside tomorrow and shoot it in the sunlight and do some white balancing on it.

Got some green on the dome. I haven't finished the back panels yet, but I just couldn't stand it. I had to get some green on there!

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Once again, the colors look a little off to me, so I may take it outside tomorrow and shoot it in the sunlight and do some white balancing on it.

I completely understand the anticipation, but you gotta make sure you pace yourself, don't rush it, and force yourself to step back once in awhile. It helps to keep you from having to redo things 2 and 3 times.

Looking good so far! Is there some masking fluid in the dent?

There is, I was trying a color I had in stock and I wanted to compare it to the green, so I sprayed testors aluminum down first, masked it and then did my green. My thought was that if I didn't like I can go in with my Humbrol 11 and redo it topically. Which may happen, I need to take it outside and evaluate it.

I completely understand the anticipation, but you gotta make sure you pace yourself, don't rush it, and force yourself to step back once in awhile. It helps to keep you from having to redo things 2 and 3 times.

You're right, I couldn't agree more. That being said, I'm trying to put the airbrush to bed (at least until the weathering phase commences) and get to where I can be just working topical with brushes. Cleaning brushes after paint color changes is easier for me, because I've been doing it longer; easier than cleaning the airbrush anyway. So while I was excited about getting some green down, I'm not going to get ahead of myself, I'm just following my plan! I was just expressing the sentiment that I was thinking it was looking cool!

As always, thanks for the help/advice. Means a lot knowing that I've got people making sure I don't screw up!
Main

Looking great so far! Did you end up using the POG for the main green?

I did, but I lightened it a little per ToEleven's suggestion. I thought it looked pretty good. My goal for this helmet is to have fun and learn some painting techniques. I'm going for accuracy as best I can, but I'm not going to obsess over it. That being said, so far I'm pretty happy with my progress. I painted my upper cheeks black with a brush like SuperJedi, however, I thought my brush strokes looked a little too "prominent" and pretty amateurish, so I sanded lightly and airbrushed it on. BUT my brushed black was a little heavy on the brush and I had some seepage under my masking on my lower cheek. So, more masking and more POG on the lower cheeks. I wouldn't have had this problem if I had sprayed the uppers from the start! Probably more info than you needed! LOL

Looking good! I've been hitting the lower cheek along with the dome and then mask the lower cheek line with that thin tamiya tape with thicker over it and do a few light passes of black to keep the bleed down. I don't know how superjedi does it with a brush...must be tapping into the dark side of the force.

Looking good! I've been hitting the lower cheek along with the dome and then mask the lower cheek line with that thin tamiya tape with thicker over it and do a few light passes of black to keep the bleed down. I don't know how superjedi does it with a brush...must be tapping into the dark side of the force.

No doubt on the brushing, very Sith-like. Next thing he'll be using Force lightning to do the cat scratch! Yeah, I'd have been home free if I would've airbrushed the black on, but live and learn. Overall, I'm happy with my first attempt. One of these days I'll have pro painter stripes like you guys!

burbankshouseofhobbies on eBay this is the best stuff for doing edge work! its vinyl 3-6 -9mm and bends perfectly for any curve.
No doubt on the brushing, very Sith-like. Next thing he'll be using Force lightning to do the cat scratch! Yeah, I'd have been home free if I would've airbrushed the black on, but live and learn. Overall, I'm happy with my first attempt. One of these days I'll have pro painter stripes like you guys!

Looking good! Don't worry about the sweat. . . it's more weathering. ;)

. . . I don't know how superjedi does it with a brush...must be tapping into the dark side of the force.

No doubt on the brushing, very Sith-like. Next thing he'll be using Force lightning to do the cat scratch! . . .

:lol: "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be . . .unnatural."
You guys are cracking me up.

I owe a lot of the success with brushing to the paint itself. Polly Scale paints are great at self-leveling, and they're very pigment heavy.
So they go on smoothly and don't require more than a couple of light/medium coats to give good coverage.

Those back panels look pretty nice!

Where are you located again? I know the humidity does weird things to paint!

:lol: "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be . . .unnatural."

I owe a lot of the success with brushing to the paint itself. Polly Scale paints are great at self-leveling, and they're very pigment heavy.
So they go on smoothly and don't require more than a couple of light/medium coats to give good coverage.

So I shouldn't use my daughter's watercolors from Walmart then?! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Those back panels look pretty nice!

Where are you located again? I know the humidity does weird things to paint!

thanks buddy! I'm a little north of Houston, East Texas is renowned for it's wonderful, sauna-like climate!

Yes, but what will you do when your secret stash of Polly Scale runs out?! Then you'll be stuck with the rest of us in Sherwin-Williams scratching our heads! Wait! What?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back