Kill stripe studios ESB FPH2 Paint up

Kill Stripe

New Hunter
Hi fellow Fett heads, my name is Jon and along with my friend Elliott (Funkyred) we make up Kill Stripe Studios. We started out mainly doing Fett commissions in the UK but have recently branched out into other Star wars costumes and props. More information will be revealed in future posts/threads on these projects.
This post will be our step by step guide on an ESB layered helmet paint up using Archive X paints and where possible real found parts.
Here's an image of the inventory.

FB_IMG_1566934665249.jpg

Items such as:
Animefan ESB FPH2
casio mq1
Jb climbing helmet
Riot helmet chin cup and strap.
The visor is to be swapped out for a Tvisor premium version and a metal borden substituted for the resin cast one supplied.
Electronics will also be installed later in the build.

First steps will include triming out the visor area and filing out the key slots as well as adding the bulge to the right mandible.

Time to get the dremmel out........

IMG_20190713_123419.jpg
IMG_20190713_123435.jpg

The bucket has had a quick clean to remove any residue, next step mark out the visor with a marker pen and drill some pilot holes and trim out the visor.
IMG_20190714_185536.jpg

Looking forward to this as well! As a total noob, I'd even appreciate pics of the marker pen and pilot hole steps!

Helmet cradle
Although the new CRL doesn't include a helmet cradle from personal experience and the fact its more comfortable and improves air flow inside the bucket one will be fitted to this helmet.
I first ground down the rivet around the helmet that hold the cradle in place. This left the tabs intact to help resecure it in side the bucket.
IMG_20190829_104716.jpg

IMG_20190829_141123.jpg

You can clearly see the tabs which attach to the inside of the helmet, I usually use hot glue but thought Chicago screws mite be an easier option and use the existing holes .
IMG_20190829_110118.jpg

IMG_20190721_151744.jpg

Time to file the key slots out....

Pilot drilled the ear caps and epoxed chicago screws into the recess
IMG_20190713_202252.jpg

This bucket didn't come with a visor so had to make one.
IMG_20190830_172855.jpg

Heat gun and welding gloves and a bit of patience.
IMG-20190830-WA0001.jpg

And a small piece for the bottom 3 key slots below the Casio MQ1 circuit board.

IMG-20190822-WA0011.jpg

Filed out the key slots and fitted the piece of visor to the bottom 3. It looks a bit bulky atm with the miliput but that will get rubbed down.
IMG-20190828-WA0001.jpg

Nice to see the dedication because it'd be easy to leave it there. Also, interesting that this Animefan version is, apparently, the same as the version FP originally offered and differs from the so called 'Proto' version.

Looks great, so far! Very much looking forward to this paintup.

Looks like you’re using the Archive X 1975 Maroon for the extra bits on the mandibles. Is this color what they’ve suggested? It doesn’t have the Boba Fett ‘tag’ on it. Just wondering if you know that that’s their recommendation (it wasn’t one of the paints I bought from them).

I’ve used their colors for a 1/4 Hot Toys Boba Fett Helmet repaint, and I really like the overall result. The dome green took ALOT of misting over it, by the way.

Rock on!

Looks great, so far! Very much looking forward to this paintup.

Looks like you’re using the Archive X 1975 Maroon for the extra bits on the mandibles. Is this color what they’ve suggested? It doesn’t have the Boba Fett ‘tag’ on it. Just wondering if you know that that’s their recommendation (it wasn’t one of the paints I bought from them).

I’ve used their colors for a 1/4 Hot Toys Boba Fett Helmet repaint, and I really like the overall result. The dome green took ALOT of misting over it, by the way.

Rock on!
It's a 60 /40 mix of maroon and engine black.

The Bulge
With limited reference material to the bulge sculpting it is is pretty much down to eye and preference. I read a thread on here by fett pride a while back which gave me the inspiration to atempt it on this and a few more recent bucket commissions.

Miliput and primer and a bit of light sanding.
I am quite happy with the end result, it doesn't look as pronounced in the flesh as it does in the images but still achieves the desired effect.

If anybody has anymore detailed images of the screen ESB bulge I would be grateful for the references.
IMG-20190825-WA0000.jpg

And fitted a metal borden

IMG-20190827-WA0001.jpg

You’ve done a great job in having the bulge looking subtle. However, the ‘crest’ of the bulge is much closer to the lower cheek.
177EA4A5-02A0-432D-932E-99A865E502BD.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back