Jetpack Harness Found Part?

DisposablHero

Active Hunter
I'm not certain as to whether or not the found part for the jet pack harness has ever been identified (assuming it wasn't just fabricated from scratch) but has anyone considered the possibility of it being the sissy bar from a banana seat bike?

banana seat sissy bar in Bicycle Accessories | eBay

I had been quizzing a friend of mine ( Collector2 on the Mercs site) about the harness because he thought it looked familiar. Since he's a diver we had, of course, been looking at the SCUBA and then at his suggestion of it being more likely the SCBA tank frame harnesses. I had thought last night that I had found an auction with the right harness and got him to add more pics of the frame ( here: MSA Self Contained Breathing Apparatus' SCBA w EXTRAS | eBay ) but then my friend, for reasons unknown, had the epiphany of the sissy bar.

Just an idea and like I said maybe you guys have already found/decided what it was, with the Wiki a PITA to find anymore I couldn't be sure.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,
-Jason

I've always thought it was a vintage scuba tank harness. I checked out my dive BC and its practically the same structure as the Fett harness just plastic and made of plastic. Also, the Fett harness is same width as a common dive tank.

Now with that said, it could've always been inspired by a scuba harness. They could've fabricated one with parts of a bike and scrap metal.

Great find.

DisposablHero, that is a great idea and its background might be true. So it is possible that they used the sissy bar as base for the jetpack harness frame, which was scratch built to accommodate the jetpack/back plate size and form. Most of the technical drawings were made by Norman Reynolds and he also supervised the sculpt (Jan Stevens) and build (Brian Archer) of the Supertrooper/Boba Fett parts.

Now with that said, it could've always been inspired by a scuba harness. They could've fabricated one with parts of a bike and scrap metal.

This sums up pretty well the possible truth.

Cool, thanks for the replies guys! I didn't think the harness was identifiable as a found item. It looks a little to home made. But it was another idea to through out there. At the very least it gives us DIYers something to look at as a base for frames if they can be found with approximately the correct spacing.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back