humbrol disaster

Ronin677

Well-Known Hunter
So I have just 'finished' my new cod and butt plate armour. I've been using humbrol paints all the way through and been really impressed so far. Tonight I applied the finishing clear coat (still humbrol) and the whole thing orange peel'd :( worse still as I tried to save it, all the paint layer under the fresh clear coat just wiped off like butter. End result a big horrible mess

Time to start the whole process again :(

Was it cold weather conditions when you put on the clear coat? Low temps can cause that sometimes, also the layers of paint not curing properly underneath can reactivate and bubble, the clear coat not mixed fully....many reasons... I use a hair dryer between coats to dry it out and evaporate the moisture out of it..... bad luck fella :(

ouch that sucks...i remember having the same issue in the past. It sucks, but like you said, live n learn, hey maybe you'll do the paint even better the second time...sometimes these accidents lead to good things :)

get it all nice and warmed up, a hair dryer resting on its side blowing warm (not hot air) gingerly over it after you painted helps to. Makes the paint go nice and tacky....but be aware of dust! keep it clean in there ;)

I like Testors as well....... and feel your pain on the orange peel.

In fall/winter, I have the heater on for a while before I go out, then place it in proximity of what I'm painting. Once it's safe enough to move, it goes in the house to cure.......

So I spent tonight sanding the cod and kidney armour ready to start again. I warmed the garage up and had kept the paints indoors all day to warm up also, Set my spray booth up and applied the first coat of silver. INSTANT crazing and wrinkling!!!!! Don't know what the hell is going on. Used the same paint as before (the exact same can) and the plastic will not now take the paint :(

I'll attempt to sand it all down again and may be prime it with a grey primer first. other than that I am at a loss :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I see what you done.......yeah use a good grey primer first always....Then the silver and so on.....don't try to put (what is typically) a top coat in your case silver on first!.

Always start with a decent layer (s) of prime. Especially the silver is thin. It will work perfect. End with a couple of sprayed layers of matte coat

So my cod armour is rescued. Still having issues with the kidney armour though. Its 905% ok, with a nice smooth layer of plastic primer on it. Just 2 very stubborn small sections that insist upon wrinkling. Not much, only about the size of thumbnail each, but........... grrrhhhhhhh

Gonna rub these small bits down again to bare plastic and try again. God knows what the hell I've got on the plastic??? The strange thing is all was ok until I applied that damn Humbrol clear coat

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back