Hasbro BS Helmet Facelift and Paint Up

Not sure if you care or not, but only half of the MQ1 goes in the keyslots....the second half of the keyslots are covered with acrylic not circuit board
Thanks. It looked like it was blank and void of any texture at the bottom in screen shots. Wasn’t sure what was going on there. This is actually my first ESB helmet. My others are ROTJ. One was scratch built and the other already had the MQ-1 molded in the cast.

So with 0 experience I managed to remove the visor thanks to your help!
And whilst essentially it’s just Unscrewing screws and using a bit of force, I’m so glad I was able to get to even just this point. Can’t wait to add a new visor to it now.

image.jpg

The upper half of the board goes behind the rear keyhole (the lower half of the keyboard is covered with a piece of the T-visor), while the other half with the keypad goes in the left gauntlet:
ESB Rear Keyhole MQ1 Board.jpg
MQ-1 Circuit Board & Keypad.jpg

Any idea how to get the dome off? Seems it’s on there pretty tightly.
Not really sure. I didn’t take my dome apart. Check this out. It shows one taken apart.
Perhaps he can help you with that.

Not sure if anyone remembers this thread I put out about 2 1/2 years ago.

They turned out pretty good and the paint has held up. I consider it somewhat a success. So, for my next fun experiment I thought I would paint the Hasbro BS helmet with the same type of paint. The Hobby Lobby in my area has a huge selection and I thought I would try to match the recommended colors the best I could. I may need to do some custom mixes here and there also. It’s not going to be Archive-X paint matching, but I’ll get as close as I can. :p

Insanity?

Genius?

:lol:

Not sure if anyone remembers this thread I put out about 2 1/2 years ago.

They turned out pretty good and the paint has held up. I consider it somewhat a success. So, for my next fun experiment I thought I would paint the Hasbro BS helmet with the same type of paint. The Hobby Lobby in my area has a huge selection and I thought I would try to match the recommended colors the best I could. I may need to do some custom mixes here and there also. It’s not going to be Archive-X paint matching, but I’ll get as close as I can. :p

Insanity?

Genius?

:lol:
Weren't you already painting up a BS series Fett?

Weren't you already painting up a BS series Fett?
No, not yet. I was just adding better parts to it. The only thing I have painted so far is the replacement ear pieces. I’m going on a staycation with the family and will be starting up with it after that. Currently I’ve just been checking out different colors to use.

No, not yet. I was just adding better parts to it. The only thing I have painted so far is the replacement ear pieces. I’m going on a staycation with the family and will be starting up with it after that. Currently I’ve just been checking out different colors to use.
Cool

Alright, so I’m back from vacation and ready to get back at this project. Took the helmet apart once again, filled some more gaps, added the physical damage, and gave it a sanding to get rid of the random physical damage and to give something for the paint to bite to. There’s no turning back now.

37933A3E-016F-45E1-890E-D205B2CBD7C0.jpeg

Speaking of paint, apparently there has been an influx of people buying up all the craft paint at Hobby Lobby. I guess with everyone staying home, they have turned to arts and crafts to keep from going insane.

Speaking of insane, I had another crazy idea in lieu of the craft paint. Interior house paint! :p Years ago I saw a video tutorial of using interior house paint thinned out and shot through an airbrush. I have already done some test runs and it works surprisingly well. Also, I can get colors matched and get the sample size containers at Lowe’s/ Home Depot, saving the trouble of finding and mixing paints.

I know it probably sounds like I’ve really flipped my lid now, but it’s all in the name of fun and experimentation. I have go go to work tomorrow, but will be back home Saturday to shoot a coat of primer on it.

Last edited:
Alright, so I’m back from vacation and ready to get back at this project. Took the helmet apart once again, filled some more gaps, added the physical damage, and gave it a sanding to get rid of the random physical damage and to give something for the paint to bite to. There’s no turning back now.

View attachment 195381

Speaking of paint, apparently there has been an influx of people buying up all the craft paint at Hobby Lobby. I guess with everyone staying home, they have turned to arts and crafts to keep from going insane.

Speaking of insane, I had another crazy idea in lieu of the craft paint. Interior house paint! :p Years ago I saw a video tutorial of using interior house paint thinned out and shot through an airbrush. I have already done some test runs and it works surprisingly well. Also, I can get colors matched and get the sample size containers at Lowe’s/ Home Depot, saving the trouble of finding and mixing paints.

I know it probably sounds like I’ve really flipped my lid now, but it’s all in the name of fun and experimentation. I have go go to work tomorrow, but will be back home Saturday to shoot a coat of primer on it.
Hey, ShortFuse ,
Glad to see you back at it. It may be bold, but I am going to say it... This here is probably the very best a HSB helmet will be able to become.
I am very much looking forward to how your house paint experiment is going to turn out. No risk involved really, after all, if you dont like it, you can just sand it down again and no harm done.
What are house paints based on?

Wow! Really excited to see how this turns out.

I have a shirt I made a while back. It's the word THINK and below it a cube. (Think outside the box,)

I love your style! This is how progress is made.

Hey, ShortFuse ,
Glad to see you back at it. It may be bold, but I am going to say it... This here is probably the very best a HSB helmet will be able to become.
I am very much looking forward to how your house paint experiment is going to turn out. No risk involved really, after all, if you dont like it, you can just sand it down again and no harm done.
What are house paints based on?

Thanks. I’m interested to see how it works out too.
I’m not sure if I understand your question though. The paint I’ll be using is acrylic if that is what you mean.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back