Hasbro BS Helmet Facelift and Paint Up

hvacdon

Active Hunter
Good info to know! I'm sure every time you have to epoxy styrene in like that, it contributes to overall stiffen the helmet some...
 

ShortFuse

Active Hunter
Good info to know! I'm sure every time you have to epoxy styrene in like that, it contributes to overall stiffen the helmet some...
It does indeed. With the interior and visor taken out, this thing is very flimsy. I feel like I could break it at any moment, specifically the mandible area.
 

droidbait

Active Hunter
Nice, do you have a thread anywhere on moding these helmets? I'm curious what all you've done with them.
I havent got around to making a thread. I have bunch of photos. Sometime I'll get around to posting them. I update on my IG all the time on my builds.
 

ShortFuse

Active Hunter
Minor update. Here are the interior pieces after I took them out.
7DA811A2-5C53-499A-9B1A-FB976D93B005.jpeg
56F780FB-1DA8-4F2A-B08B-E2D4280DA534.jpeg

Drilled holes in interior ear pieces. Epoxied some t-nuts I had lying around to them. This is where I intend to mount the chin strap to the helmet.
E28B2720-E73B-4ABA-A795-9FDC385D88B3.jpeg
720E9269-2DC6-4C1A-9A20-9F3A0E987D43.jpeg
0140FA3A-1595-407C-A964-154702CA9AAD.jpeg

Then I shot the interior pieces with some primer and then some flat black. It looks a lot less like cheap plastic and more like mid-grade plastic now.:p
9B8A7857-747D-4786-B038-AE21DDAA9A88.jpeg

These pics are from last week. Took a quick vacation with the family over the weekend. I plan on doing some more today. Hopefully have some more to share tonight or tomorrow.
 
Last edited:

Tfett40

Active Hunter
This looks like way more work then its worth. You are showing exactly what I expected it would take to convert this helmet. The Rubies conversion was much easier. However, it is always nice to see how it is put together and thanks for sharing your work for those who are curious if and how it can be done and to know what they are getting themselves into.
 

Lynn TXP 0369

Well-Known Hunter
You didn't show any pics of the interior coming out. How hard is it to take out? I'm going to repaint it as a custom and I want to take it apart so that it will be easier to mask and repaint.
Lynn
 

ShortFuse

Active Hunter
You didn't show any pics of the interior coming out. How hard is it to take out? I'm going to repaint it as a custom and I want to take it apart so that it will be easier to mask and repaint.
Lynn
It’s not hard at all. It’s just several screws. You need to take off both ears first because there are some screws that hold on the interior ear pieces from the outside. Then you take out the small back piece that covers up the keyholes and that will let the back parts with the padding loose. Then you can take out the front piece that holds the visor in. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I’ll be happy to help.
 

ShortFuse

Active Hunter
OK, cool! It looked straight forward. I was worried about things that needed to be broken inside to take it apart.
You only need to be careful taking the outer ears off or you might break the tabs off. Although if you go slow and use gentle pressure, you shouldn’t have any problems.
 

tykyu

Jr Hunter
Amazing work thus far.! Following your work and Inquisitor Peregrinus' thread faithfully to see where ya'll end up! ^^ This is so cool to see-!
 

shadowlova

New Hunter
With using the styrene you can always use Humbrol Liquid poly glue as it will melt the styrene to whatever other plastic surface you bond it to creating a very strong join. Just a thought.
 

tykyu

Jr Hunter
Is that an mq-1 I see? hehehe
Looking great! I'd imagine the paintjob's gonna be the part to make this bad boy shine.
 

ShortFuse

Active Hunter
Is that an mq-1 I see? hehehe
Looking great! I'd imagine the paintjob's gonna be the part to make this bad boy shine.
Yes it is. It needs to move down a bit so I need to trim it some to fit. I do plan to paint it, but I need to get the ear situation finished first so everything lines up. There are a lot of interlocking parts on the interior, so it adds to the problem, unlike a cast helmet.
 

ShortFuse

Active Hunter
Some more minor updates. Turned my attention to the gap in the mandible area. Epoxied some styrene in the channel, trimmed to size, and then filled and sanded until it was flush.
BB2B9717-D822-48D0-B6BE-9BA00403F457.jpeg
A19D2C87-4A79-480F-B65B-3F1EB2ADC150.jpeg
6B15553E-77C4-4D10-B66F-5A4D51B3043C.jpeg

I also got a chin cup for the addition of a chin strap. Picked it up at Academy for $9. It’s the same kind I use in my ROTJ helmet.
3675B5BA-4E52-4382-A1F1-88EE185D6FAD.jpeg
 

jhfagan

Hunter
You are absolutely correct, but that’s not the point. I already have a completed helmet that I got from ToEleven and painted myself for my kit. I purchased this helmet solely as a fun project to see what the possibilities were. I have no intentions of trying to get this thing 501st approved or anything. I realize it’s shortcomings and issues but was interested more in it’s potential.
Same intent I have with my ROTJ mod.
I know nothing is going to make it "Troopable" so I might as well make it as fun and enjoyable as I can. I was thinking about getting a new more accurate rangefinder, but I like the electronics of it, so it'll be painted as ROTJ at least.
Seems like you're going to have a fun time with this one too. : )
 
Top