Hasbro BS Helmet Facelift and Paint Up

That's what I did also in my helmet. They put the on and off switch on the outside. Had to cover it using a strip of abs plastic and some epoxy.

I'm going to see if I can buy a BS Boba Helmet to mod also.

20200305_181531.jpg

20200302_161044.jpg

Good info to know! I'm sure every time you have to epoxy styrene in like that, it contributes to overall stiffen the helmet some...

It does indeed. With the interior and visor taken out, this thing is very flimsy. I feel like I could break it at any moment, specifically the mandible area.

Minor update. Here are the interior pieces after I took them out.
7DA811A2-5C53-499A-9B1A-FB976D93B005.jpeg
56F780FB-1DA8-4F2A-B08B-E2D4280DA534.jpeg

Drilled holes in interior ear pieces. Epoxied some t-nuts I had lying around to them. This is where I intend to mount the chin strap to the helmet.
E28B2720-E73B-4ABA-A795-9FDC385D88B3.jpeg
720E9269-2DC6-4C1A-9A20-9F3A0E987D43.jpeg
0140FA3A-1595-407C-A964-154702CA9AAD.jpeg

Then I shot the interior pieces with some primer and then some flat black. It looks a lot less like cheap plastic and more like mid-grade plastic now.:p
9B8A7857-747D-4786-B038-AE21DDAA9A88.jpeg

These pics are from last week. Took a quick vacation with the family over the weekend. I plan on doing some more today. Hopefully have some more to share tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
This looks like way more work then its worth. You are showing exactly what I expected it would take to convert this helmet. The Rubies conversion was much easier. However, it is always nice to see how it is put together and thanks for sharing your work for those who are curious if and how it can be done and to know what they are getting themselves into.

You didn't show any pics of the interior coming out. How hard is it to take out? I'm going to repaint it as a custom and I want to take it apart so that it will be easier to mask and repaint.
Lynn

You didn't show any pics of the interior coming out. How hard is it to take out? I'm going to repaint it as a custom and I want to take it apart so that it will be easier to mask and repaint.
Lynn

It’s not hard at all. It’s just several screws. You need to take off both ears first because there are some screws that hold on the interior ear pieces from the outside. Then you take out the small back piece that covers up the keyholes and that will let the back parts with the padding loose. Then you can take out the front piece that holds the visor in. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I’ll be happy to help.

Amazing work thus far.! Following your work and Inquisitor Peregrinus' thread faithfully to see where ya'll end up! ^^ This is so cool to see-!

With using the styrene you can always use Humbrol Liquid poly glue as it will melt the styrene to whatever other plastic surface you bond it to creating a very strong join. Just a thought.

Is that an mq-1 I see? hehehe
Looking great! I'd imagine the paintjob's gonna be the part to make this bad boy shine.

Is that an mq-1 I see? hehehe
Looking great! I'd imagine the paintjob's gonna be the part to make this bad boy shine.

Yes it is. It needs to move down a bit so I need to trim it some to fit. I do plan to paint it, but I need to get the ear situation finished first so everything lines up. There are a lot of interlocking parts on the interior, so it adds to the problem, unlike a cast helmet.

Some more minor updates. Turned my attention to the gap in the mandible area. Epoxied some styrene in the channel, trimmed to size, and then filled and sanded until it was flush.
BB2B9717-D822-48D0-B6BE-9BA00403F457.jpeg
A19D2C87-4A79-480F-B65B-3F1EB2ADC150.jpeg
6B15553E-77C4-4D10-B66F-5A4D51B3043C.jpeg

I also got a chin cup for the addition of a chin strap. Picked it up at Academy for $9. It’s the same kind I use in my ROTJ helmet.
3675B5BA-4E52-4382-A1F1-88EE185D6FAD.jpeg

You are absolutely correct, but that’s not the point. I already have a completed helmet that I got from ToEleven and painted myself for my kit. I purchased this helmet solely as a fun project to see what the possibilities were. I have no intentions of trying to get this thing 501st approved or anything. I realize it’s shortcomings and issues but was interested more in it’s potential.
Same intent I have with my ROTJ mod.
I know nothing is going to make it "Troopable" so I might as well make it as fun and enjoyable as I can. I was thinking about getting a new more accurate rangefinder, but I like the electronics of it, so it'll be painted as ROTJ at least.
Seems like you're going to have a fun time with this one too. : )

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back