Hasbro BS Helmet Facelift and Paint Up

Ok. So I finished what I set out to do.

Replace right ear assembly and rangefinder: Check

Add MQ-1 casted replica to rear keyholes:Check

Add replica Borden connector: Check

Replace visor: Check

Add padding and chin strap to interior: Check
(even added some weathering to the interior)

Fill known gap between dome and visor section, as well as gaps between mandibles and visor: Check

Did I have fun doing it? Yes (That was the whole point.):)

Am I happy with it? No

Originally I wasn’t sure if I was going to paint it or not, but now I am positive that is going to happen. Where I filled in areas, I tried to match the paint as best I could but it’s obvious it doesn’t. I think in the back of my mind I knew I was going to repaint it. ;)
I’m also not happy with the way the right ear fits. It’s not an exact match, but it’s close.
CA1FB497-A83E-457B-A204-9317606A01E2.jpeg
E9BB9A77-C6FA-4743-9A0E-C41F2E2F7382.jpeg
A3757B20-9CA2-49F2-9158-62722C8626B3.jpeg

In true ShortFuse fashion the paint job will be a fun experiment as well. Stay tuned for more...

But how much did you spend in time and materials? :lol:

Looks cool man! Starting to look less like a toy. Sucks about the ears. I had issues with my first BS resistance helmet. The second one was better. And the third I corrected all the issues. But so much money spent to make them look nice. I actually made it all back after the second helmet. Although annoying it was very fun and satisfying finishing them.

Last edited:
But how much did you spend in time and materials?

Looks cool man! Starting to look less like a toy. Sucks about the ears. I had issues with my first BS resistance helmet. The second one was better. And the third I corrected all the issues.
More than it’s worth. Probably around $150 or so in materials. Time? Like I said before, I don’t know how much time I spent on this. I lose track of time when doing stuff like this. This is my escape from the crappy things I deal with at work.

Minor update. Here are the interior pieces after I took them out. View attachment 191935View attachment 191934
Drilled holes in interior ear pieces. Epoxied some t-nuts I had lying around to them. This is where I intend to mount the chin strap to the helmet.
View attachment 191936View attachment 191937View attachment 191938
Then I shot the interior pieces with some primer and then some flat black. It looks a lot less like cheap plastic and more like mid-grade plastic now.:pView attachment 191939
These pics are from last week. Took a quick vacation with the family over the weekend. I plan on doing some more today. Hopefully have some more to share tonight or tomorrow.
I did mine in gunmetal for the same reason! :)

Fill known gap between dome and visor section, as well as gaps between mandibles and visor: Check

Am I happy with it? No

Originally I wasn’t sure if I was going to paint it or not, but now I am positive that is going to happen. Where I filled in areas, I tried to match the paint as best I could but it’s obvious it doesn’t. I think in the back of my mind I knew I was going to repaint it. ;)
I’m also not happy with the way the right ear fits. It’s not an exact match, but it’s close.
View attachment 193860View attachment 193861View attachment 193862
In true ShortFuse fashion the paint job will be a fun experiment as well. Stay tuned for more...
ShortFuse ... Even though you dont like them, the results are amazing! You did well, believe me. Like others have said before... it looks less like a toy but more like a respectable helmet. And all of that for 200 - 300 dollars. Is it gonna be troopable? No. Are you gonna see the difference fromt 4 meters away? Yes. But what youve got is a painted fett helmet for less then 300 bucks. Thats a feat.

That said, I am eager to see your repaint! :D

ShortFuse ... Even though you dont like them, the results are amazing! You did well, believe me. Like others have said before... it looks less like a toy but more like a respectable helmet. And all of that for 200 - 300 dollars. Is it gonna be troopable? No. Are you gonna see the difference fromt 4 meters away? Yes. But what youve got is a painted fett helmet for less then 300 bucks. Thats a feat.

That said, I am eager to see your repaint! :D

Ram, I appreciate the compliment, although to me at least, there is a difference between being 501st approved and “troopable”. I’m not part of the 501st, and I really don’t plan on joining. My costume is for me and not for someone else to judge. I could definitely troop in this helmet if I wanted to, but I already have a much better helmet that I troop in. I’m not sure if I’m making any sense and I doubt you meant anything by your comment, but it seems like everyone is always stressed out if something is going to be approved or not. I’m all for accuracy and I’m my biggest critic, but if you step away from worrying about what others think about your costume and just do it for yourself, I find it more enjoyable. Of course, these are only my views, although it seems like there is a trend of people moving away from the Legion.

Ram, I appreciate the compliment, although to me at least, there is a difference between being 501st approved and “troopable”. I’m not part of the 501st, and I really don’t plan on joining. My costume is for me and not for someone else to judge. I could definitely troop in this helmet if I wanted to, but I already have a much better helmet that I troop in. I’m not sure if I’m making any sense and I doubt you meant anything by your comment, but it seems like everyone is always stressed out if something is going to be approved or not. I’m all for accuracy and I’m my biggest critic, but if you step away from worrying about what others think about your costume and just do it for yourself, I find it more enjoyable. Of course, these are only my views, although it seems like there is a trend of people moving away from the Legion.
This 100%

I certainly did not mean to put your work down and I should have been more clear in my language. Im sorry if something in my statement struck the wrong chord. I simply meant to say that i like what you did to your helmet, no matter if it is going to be 100 percent accurate or not.

On that note... Can you elaborate on the trend you mentioned?

I certainly did not mean to put your work down and I should have been more clear in my language. Im sorry if something in my statement struck the wrong chord. I simply meant to say that i like what you did to your helmet, no matter if it is going to be 100 percent accurate or not.

The trend is for personal issues with the legion. Myself being in the Legion for several years. Both as a NCS for 3 years. Meaning I just helped out troopers while not officially in. I joined the Legion 2014 as a Scout Trooper. 2011 is when i started NCS with the Legion also joined here on TDH in 2011 thinking my first costume was going to be Boba Fett. Anyways over time the Legion is not what it used to be. Politics took over and people got power hungry. There is a bunch of bad apples in my garrison that made me leave for good. And that's pretty much what's going on in many garrisons. People are just are tired of the crap that goes behind the scenes, at least in my garrison. I made of the mistake of just trying to fit in with everyone and lost some people I called friends in the process over silly stuff. Now I just do it for fun, and hopefully make some new friends in the long fun. Be it through here or cons.

Pardon, SF for derailing your thread. Also I dont think you should repaint your helmet. I personally think it looks good like that.

RamSkirata , There are no hard feelings from me for what you said. I didn’t take it as you putting down my work. It was just something about when you said it wasn’t troopable made me think of how some people think that if it isn’t 501st approved, then it shouldn’t be worn. I know you didn’t mean anything by your statement and I’m sorry if I made you feel like what I said was aimed at you.
As far as elaborating on the other thing, I’ll let others do that since I’m not part of it and only have secondhand knowledge of it.
droidbait , derail away. I’m glad you gave your view on the subject. As far as the paint, it looks fine but if I leave it as is what fun would that be? I need to do something to stay busy. ;)

Following you progress.
I think it looks great! I have a BS Boba and Vader bucket and was wondering what I could do to make them less toy like. I bought them more as a collector piece to go with my Don Post helmets. I have no issue with tearing it apart to improve them in some way. I'm toying with the idea of detail painting the interior of Boba.

I am the type that will do things just to keep busy too. When people ask me why? My answer is always the same...Because I can and I wanted to. Besides it's fun and usually I learn something and improve my skills by doing these projects.

Keep going!!

RamSkirata , There are no hard feelings from me for what you said. I didn’t take it as you putting down my work. It was just something about when you said it wasn’t troopable made me think of how some people think that if it isn’t 501st approved, then it shouldn’t be worn. I know you didn’t mean anything by your statement and I’m sorry if I made you feel like what I said was aimed at you.
As far as elaborating on the other thing, I’ll let others do that since I’m not part of it and only have secondhand knowledge of it.
droidbait , derail away. I’m glad you gave your view on the subject. As far as the paint, it looks fine but if I leave it as is what fun would that be? I need to do something to stay busy. ;)
ShortFuse glad you did not take it that way :) Maybe I also misinterpreted your post.
Also, I myself trooped in a completely scratch-build out of aluminum custom Mando... (except the helmet)... talk about non-accuracy :D

Thank you droidbait for shedding light on that topic. Interesting read for sure! That said, me being in Germany, it might be totally different.

Following you progress.
I think it looks great! I have a BS Boba and Vader bucket and was wondering what I could do to make them less toy like. I bought them more as a collector piece to go with my Don Post helmets. I have no issue with tearing it apart to improve them in some way. I'm toying with the idea of detail painting the interior of Boba.

I am the type that will do things just to keep busy too. When people ask me why? My answer is always the same...Because I can and I wanted to. Besides it's fun and usually I learn something and improve my skills by doing these projects.

Keep going!!
Thanks.
Same here.

ShortFuse glad you did not take it that way :) Maybe I also misinterpreted your post.
Also, I myself trooped in a completely scratch-build out of aluminum custom Mando... (except the helmet)... talk about non-accuracy :D

Thank you droidbait for shedding light on that topic. Interesting read for sure! That said, me being in Germany, it might be totally different.
No worries. It’s all good.

Am I happy with it? No

Lookin good, man! Rangefinder/right ear looks solid. Imo this project was a success- really enjoyed following along.
Excited to see where we end up with the paint :D

Am I happy with it? No

I think it looks great; the visor replacement alone makes a huge difference.

I wanted to do this myself but I have 0 experience with this type of thing - how do you remove the visor? Literally just unscrew the screws on the inside? Any help is appreciated!

I think it looks great; the visor replacement alone makes a huge difference.

I wanted to do this myself but I have 0 experience with this type of thing - how do you remove the visor? Literally just unscrew the screws on the inside? Any help is appreciated!
Unfortunately, it is not that easy. The first thing you need to do is remove the ears on the outside of the helmet. This needs to be done with care so as not to break off the tabs that hold them on. Some pressure on the sides and carefully work them off. There are several small screws on either side that need to be taken out. Once this is done the inner pieces on either side should be loose, but may needs some persuasion to get out due to them being held in with a tab at the top. Next you should take out the rear piece that covers the keyslots This should completely free up the rear panels with the padding on them. Then the visor section can be taken out. If you only want to take out the visor, you can skip the removal of the rear sections, although if your going that far you might as well take it all apart because the rear sections with the padding will be flapping around on one side and be in the way. I didn’t bother with removing the dome area but this can be done now with the removal of several more screws around the interior perimeter. Please note that all the screws that you remove are fairly small and can be easily lost. I would recommend a magnetic tray or some type of container to put them in as you remove them, keeping account of where each one goes because there are a few different sizes. Hope this helps some.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back