Evan1701's Newbie ESB Fett Helmet Paint-Up

Discussion in 'Boba Fett Helmet' started by Evan1701, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Post-Thanksgiving update. The dark gray masking has been slooooow going, but steadily proceeding. I finished up the mandibles a few days ago and spent another 2 or 3 days on the trim and keyslots. The toughest part about it is trying to leave holes for the "islands of damage" of purple, bright red, and dark red between all of the dark gray.

Even though the stencils are almost impossible to line up on the helmet at this point, I'm still using them to trace out the damage on the helmet as a guide so I'm not having to look at the stencil, then mask a little, then look back at the stencil, etc etc ad nauseum.

YKJeyKyl.jpg

rLDuVwNl.jpg

JEFO40Cl.jpg

Next up is the dome! Gonna give myself another week to do this.

Ghost_Fett likes this.
  2. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Alright folks, I'm getting close to the finish line on this set of masking. Can you believe it took 4 hours to get to this point? This just refers to the masking on the dome, above the trim. One more hour tomorrow should do it, and then I'll be ready to paint the ears, dome, cheeks, and RF.

The only thing I'm afraid I screwed up is the scorch that goes across the dome from the dent. Does the angle look okay to you guys? It's a curved surface so the stencils are almost impossible to line up, and the reference pictures really don't show it much. I've seen different angles from different painters, too. I'm probably overthinking it, and I'm not going to change it anyway since it's too late (had to mask between the silver and gray that I already put down).

lUULP2Ul.jpg

Rh9Yzq7l.jpg

mQyB780l.jpg

Ghost_Fett likes this.
  3. Ghostphoenix01

Ghostphoenix01 Jr Member

I think it looks fine(y) keep up the good work. I think on the 2 I’m doing they’re slightly different.

4. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Thanks man. I drive myself crazy over the tiny details. Every time I mask, I say to myself, "Listen Evan, you don't have to get every tiny little detail. There's a lot of colors on this helmet, and a lot of weathering, and no one will notice."

And then you know what I do? The exact opposite!!!

Ghost_Fett likes this.
  5. Grimstuff

Grimstuff Member

Looks a tad high and up-angled to me, iirc it's a bit more of a horizontal scorch. But yeah I agree, stuff like that is fine enough unless you're goin for 100% archival quality.

6. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Finally finished the dark gray masking! Next up, the sand color on RH ears, custom green on LH ear, main green on dome and lower cheeks, and black on upper cheeks and RF topper (as well as some weathering while I still have the masking fluid down).

After that, I'll be masking everything up so that I can do the purple on the mandibles, trim, and keyslots. I'll use the liquid masking on what will remain purple, then shoot the bright red from the LH ear, mask that up, then shoot the final main red color.

THEN!!! I will paint the horseshoes on the ears as well as apply the small details via transfer decals, assemble the RF and borden, hit the helmet with miscellaneous weathering details, and that'll be that!

So as you can see, lots of work left to do, but I'm well over what I would consider "the hill", as the bulk of difficult work is now behind me.

VZ6TXL5l.jpg

f1yjPhkl.jpg

sJhyrNcl.jpg

2vCZW6Yl.jpg

7. hvacdon

hvacdon Jr Member

Looking very nice !!

8. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Ears are painted, as well as the raised areas on the helmet where the ears are bolted to. I'm gonna have a tough time masking this up tomorrow, since those raised areas are sooo small in places. I didn't want to use a whole pot of my main green 78 just for the ear, so to get a 1:1 ratio I filled up a water bottle cap with 78, dumped it into the mixing dish, then filled the same cap up with green 159 and dumped that into the mixing dish. Then I dumped in the thinner and mixed it all up. I'm not sure if it's perfectly 1:1, but it's about as close as I can get without a better method of measuring the paint.

TQNg1zKl.jpg

fblW4vkl.jpg

pW5IHbGl.jpg

QBjWFo2l.jpg

9. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Green is down!!! Looks a little funny because it was still wet when I took the pics. I may try and touch it up tomorrow night if it needs it, but I felt pretty confident in my coverage.

tCUCbtyl.jpg

ox9AbRBl.jpg

And... I'm excited to reveal... the (almost) final product for the ears. Couldn't help myself after I finished spraying, I had to peel that masking fluid up and take a look. I still need to add the horseshoes and the small details. Easy stuff.

DIW8tBgl.jpg

e3kehoe, hvacdon and ThatRndmBounty like this.
  10. hvacdon

hvacdon Jr Member

Looking good there Evan !! Nice detail on the ears !!

11. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

if you look closely you might notice that the damage on the green LH ear on the bottom face is upside down! That's the only part I screwed up. Realized it after the second go-round of masking and just decided to leave it. I call it my personal signature... :lol:

12. hvacdon

hvacdon Jr Member

Well of course....that makes it "Unique" !! I didn't notice, still looks good !!:)

13. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Black is down on the upper cheeks and the ear decals are painted... sort of! I had trouble with the paint being too thin so it was just too watery to get a good solid coat. Gonna give it another try tomorrow. Bonus picture of my setup as I was getting started!

I gave the upper cheeks a quick sanding pass to clear off some of the orange peel buildup. I must have prepped those areas especially bad, it was just sandpaper in and of itself! I really didn't see any after the black was down, thankfully.

noOdn58l.jpg

lXjYMWRl.jpg

wdUTNKKl.jpg

j84ebRUl.jpg

hvacdon likes this.
  14. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Time for today's update! Got the purple down on the mandibles, trim, and keyslots, put the black down on my RF topper, and did a couple more coats of paint with the brush on both ears. The ears look pretty much the same as yesterday so I didn't take any pics.

ZvjjZs5l.jpg

5Ug12npl.jpg

Fg2mXwMl.jpg

I kept having problems with the purple where the airbrush was spitting out specks of red and blue- what the heck! No matter how much I stirred or how much thinner I added, it just kept doing it, so I figured- screw it, the only one who might ever notice is me. Most of it gets painted over anyway. I also had some tape come loose on the RH ear, so I'll need to fix that before painting again.

This weekend, I plan to mask up the purple, potentially spray the bright red, assemble the RF (as long as I can get my butt over to Lowe's and buy some LEDs), and finish up the paint on the ear cap.

15. hvacdon

hvacdon Jr Member

Coming along nicely !!

16. WhyItMatterz

WhyItMatterz Member

Great progress so far man!

17. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

The red 73 is down, which means that it's time to start peeling away the masking to see all of my hard work!

OATredel.jpg

DpNHEpPl.jpg

I also put the beautiful superjedi transfer decals on the ears, which means they are 100% complete (besides weathering of course):

SGo5cOwl.jpg

I also painted the smaller lens for the rangefinder and ordered the LEDs I need, so I should be able to finish that up this week:

j7BrM01l.jpg

VDGcWLbl.jpg

After all of my masking is removed, I'll be doing the kill stripes. After that, I need to add the "caboose" (red 60), black scorch marks, white fingerprint, and the light green "tape residue" underneath the kill stripes. I'm actually not sure what color that is supposed to be.

Then, it's just weathering, visor and borden installation, and bolting up the ears and RF for the final product! So excited! The finish line is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!

18. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

So I've been peeling up the masking all over the helmet, and let me tell y'all, it looks so good. But you don't get to see that just yet... ;)

I got to a point where I had enough masking up to confidently mark out the kill stripes. I did a reverse masking process from what I've been doing, where everything *except* the kill stripes are masked. Took a little time, but I'm not sure of a better way to do it so there ya go!

Had to get a little creative with the location, they didn't line up perfectly with the damage, but with a curved surface that's just bound to happen.

KL6Q1Scl.jpg

sibbIMWl.jpg

Tomorrow, as long as I can keep the temp up in the garage with my little heater, I'll be laying down the yellow and orange gradient. After all the TLJ troops this week and into this weekend, I won't be able to work on the helmet again till Sunday. But I should be able to finish it up between this coming Sunday and Monday! Very excited.

19. ShortFuse

ShortFuse Jr Member

20. WhyItMatterz

WhyItMatterz Member

Looks great! Can't wait to see the whole helmet finished!

21. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Thanks guys :D I have it sitting on the bar in my kitchen and every time I pass I just stand there and look. I can't wait to show y'all the final result.

22. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Kill stripes are down! Unfortunately with TLJ coming out tomorrow night, I won't get the chance to see how the turned out until SUNDAY!!! Ugh! Also, the LEDs for my rangefinder came in today so I drilled holes and glued those in. It was a little late by the time I got to this, though, so I didn't get the chance to fully assembly the RF. When I do, I'll be sure to take pics.

MAKE IT LOOK LYK PIKTUR

2m2ZqADl.jpg

Yellow

skgkcAAl.jpg

And... the gradient!

Xc4zCrql.jpg

23. rnbuda

rnbuda Active Member

Let's pull that making off!

24. Evan1701

Evan1701 Member

Hehehe... well it's funny you should ask... I've been pulling random bits of masking off the past few days, but let me tell you. These kill stripes turned out A-MA-ZING. Even though the yellow was total garbage to put down. Like watered down mustard... awful!

RPvdE0Rl.jpg

And a progress pic of course.

f7pvMq4l.jpg

This was a few days ago, as of today I've pulled up as much masking as I can find, as well as hit it with some wire wool to blend to colors and take down the green and red to a much more washed out, screen-accurate color scheme. Tomorrow (well, today I guess), I'll be doing the black weathering on the lower cheeks and the dome, the light red bits on the mandibles and trim (topical), the tape residue (also topical), and the rusty weathering on the stalk and the rest of the silver. Then, I'll glue in the visor and call it complete. I need to take a week off so my wife doesn't kill me, but after Christmas we'll be back at it starting with the armor.