Elstree Precision Co Ltd Hero Metal Ears Project

Somehow its very good to know that the guy running the place has an appretiation of Star Wars :)

Man, he spends HOURS looking over photos, vintage hardware inventory and modeling. I’m so excited to share more info with everyone when the time comes! John has caught the Boba Fett bug haha

An update from John at Elstree:

"Now that our historic vice has been serviced & checked, I have been able to work on the sharp edges so you can post some images on TDH and show potential buyers. This vice was used in the original production of the ears. One of my Storm Troopers thinks it resembles a laser cannon from the Death Star, at certain angles, with a bit of imagination."

John has asked that I reiterate that these are the first set of prototypes. John will personally be checking them against all of the helmet photos available to get them screen accurate. If you followed the Elstree Borden thread you have seen first hand their commitment to accuracy. John says, "Try not. Do [it right] or do not. There is no try."

While John is confident that Elstree is capable of meeting a July 1st shipping deadline to me, we both agree that this historic run should be as accurate as possible. They will be done when they are done right, but should not see much delay.

- Steven and John

image0(2).jpeg

image1(2).jpeg

image2(1).jpeg

Last edited:
An update from John at Elstree:

"Now that our historic vice has been serviced & checked, I have been able to work on the sharp edges so you can post some images on TDH and show potential buyers. This vice was used in the original production of the ears. One of my Storm Troopers thinks it resembles a laser cannon from the Death Star, at certain angles, with a bit of imagination."

John has asked that I reiterate that these are the first set of prototypes. John will personally be checking them against all of the helmet photos available to get them screen accurate. If you followed the Elstree Borden thread you have seen first hand their commitment to accuracy. John says, "Try not. Do [it right] or do not. There is not try."

While John is confident that Elstree is capable of meeting a July 1st shipping deadline to me, we both agree that this historic run should be as accurate as possible. They will be done when they are done right, but should not see much delay.

- Steven and John

View attachment 191332

View attachment 191333

View attachment 191334
yeah it does! haha thats so cool!
although it reminded me of this first.
300305_press02.jpg

Last edited:
How committed is John to an incredible set of ears? Committed enough to head back to the shop on a Saturday morning and send me some more updates of our first two prototypes as a work in progress!

With careful study of the photos of lineage helmets, there are some notable differences found on the right side ears. A specific detail was pointed out by Mike Cantina Dude that has further helped the accuracy of this project.

Check out the small notch on the upper cap, right side. The ROTJ and most other helmets are all hard 90’s. The ESB has a subtle rounded corner.

We still have some things to correct, but we are both very happy that we have come so far in only a couple months and have already achieved a high degree of accuracy.

More to come soon!

- Steven and John

“Here’s the photo from 1962. Drill press. Slip set. Lamp. Diamond lapper. Wolf bench grinder. Wooden bench. All still in every day use. We have a new vice. I say new. About 20 years ago it was new ”

A61A139D-0700-465F-A432-FB1C3F11522E.jpeg

“I measured the angle of the defect and diamond lapped a tool to match the shape. Excessive?”

8ED35401-3936-4809-A9C9-0640218E18BC.jpeg

74D14C85-6FF7-462D-A3BD-67BC0B9DE01F.jpeg

27A8CD12-5D42-4239-B028-4530B693740B.jpeg

61AC74FA-9CEB-4B1F-B0AE-946C37F8CFAB.jpeg

848FB26A-02E9-4119-A5C7-47339B2B9B25.jpeg

16A589D1-0A1A-4430-B70C-B46939837462.jpeg

971F6C9F-9F49-4E29-8DCB-B8F3BB98ADAB.jpeg

2546064A-6D17-4276-B661-3D0611CC0329.jpeg

DD56AF58-CF68-4BEB-A0A0-E57CDA06DEAF.jpeg

C5FD12EE-98D1-46E4-B4DE-BA927AF1290F.jpeg

233DCE4F-DB77-4EE9-8D20-39242B4C20AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Also... Any and all feedback is welcome everyone. I view this as a collaborative effort. I have relied on a half dozen of you already helping to guide this run and I truly appreciate your eye and expertise! I want this to be for the Fett community by the Fett community.

- Steven

Will the stalks be hollow and with the two pinholes to attach the rangefinder? I can't remember if this was present on the ESB helmet... :unsure:

BTW, just my 0.02$.

I think the right ear doesn't have a round edge, but a blemish instead. I can see the edge line in this picture, meaning it's not round.

Also, For the left ear, I believe each half of it has diferent angles, as seen in the picture attached. Please, take a look at this as I am seeing it on every picture of the Hero helmet. Like if the right part of the triangular prism was raised instead of perpendicular to the ear.

fett1.JPGfett2.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back