Differences between ESB and ROTJ

Wielder

New Hunter
What is the general consensus over the differences in the helmets in ESB and ROTJ from a fan perspective? What I mean is, it seems obvious that there was a paint job between these two films.
I would like to create a costume that envisions Boba after escaping the Sarlaac Pit but understanding how the community views Boba's decisions in painting his armor and modifying it is important to me. I will be reading the tales about his escape and consequent alterations but a fuller understanding of the perceived events between ESB and ROTJ as it pertains to the changes made in wardrobe would be useful.

The helmet paint job is different and the gauntlets are different. There is no sidearm for rotj, and the ee-3 is different as well. There are also differences with the flight suit, shin tools, and the jetpack.

The helmet paint job is different and the gauntlets are different. There is no sidearm for rotj, and the ee-3 is different as well. There are also differences with the flight suit, shin tools, and the jetpack.

You forgot the belt, wookie braids, armor paint job and decals, and pure awesomeness.

I was in a hurry when I wrote that and knew I would forget stuff. As for which is more awesome, it's esb by the way lol.

My question is not so much "what" but "why" and not from the film production point of view. Why did Boba make those changes?

The why is just the film production point of view. They painted up about 6 helmets and then they seemed to not keep track of which one they used. I don't think there has ever been a story that explained changes. Think about it from this point. It is supposed to be the same helmet from ESB to ROTJ.....that is the only way to explain the dent. It isn't like Boba got shot in the exact same place in the head with every helmet that he owned. So the only reasonable train of thought is that he is wearing the same helmet.

That puts us back at the point that it is just a film production thing.

My question is not so much "what" but "why" and not from the film production point of view. Why did Boba make those changes?

Why....well because Lucas Arts could of course. There is a bunch of history behind the Boba Fett character which you can read up on...but the cliff notes version basically is they broke most of the ESB outfit filming Empire Strikes Back so they had to redo most of the outfit. They tried to stay true to most of the outfit, but remade everything else. Boba Fett was supposed to be a very minor character in Empire Strikes Back.. However, there was such a huge following to the character post movie George Lucas basically wrote a much bigger role for the character for Return of the Jedi...even to the point of digitally adding him into Star Wars New Hope.

There are a bunch of books out there with Boba Fett in it, barely any mention any specifics about his armor or weapons other than having him kill with some poison dart/blaster/ninja move. Heck there is a whole mini-series on how Boba Fett survived the Sarlac Pit and almost personally destroyed the Kuat corporation. But really that's too much for this site....and generally stupid author conjecture. The closest I saw came in the Han Solo mini-series (which occurred right up to Star Wars A New Hope) where someone paid Boba Fett an "appearance" fee to take on a priority "bounty" by giving Boba Fett a new set of wrist darts. The books all basically state that any remaining Mandalorian armor in good working order were considered "antiques" and virtually impossible to find.

It's not to far fetched to assume most of the armor is the same and Boba just repainted it as he saw fit periodically. He probably purposefully didn't complete the new paint job to keep the battle scarred look because as a bounty hunter and mercenary, battle scars are advertising

I have a hard time picturing Fett painting anything. He seems more like a guy that is more concerned about getting the job done with the right tools. He had Kuat deck out all the special systems on Slave 1, and I'm sure he did some 'special modifications' of his own, but I see him more concerned about capturing bounties then painting his armor.

The whole business between ESB and ROTJ is merely the production repainting it. Heck, they had so many consistency issues with the costume I'm surprised there weren't more changes.

If I understand this correctly, and perhaps I don't, Boba's helmet is his father's. The dent coming from the battle of Geonosis. If that is so then there must be an element of "artistry" in Boba for it to be painted and not silver. Understand that as a fan, when they make changes, even accidental changes, it provides opportunities for story and character building. If there is no consensus on what happened (e.g. A fan fiction story or comic becoming so popular it is widely accepted by fans as semi-canonical) then that is left to the interpretation of the fan. Additionally, it seems the directive of the Mandalorians is a kind of intimidation through both skill and appearance, so a successful Mandalorian would likely have to work at expressing themselves through their armor. Why does Boba have Wookie braids at all? Why bother with counters on his helmet? Why even have a consistent color scheme? I am sure that this would not be accidental. They tell a story. Why not knock out the dent? Why not repair the armor? I am sure for Boba and anyone he comes across it tells a story of victory in combat and adversity. It displays his toughness. I can see Boba painting. It's like what has already been said here: his armor is his advertising. In a sense it is his billboard. It shows he is not a newcomer and has a history of success. The color, if for no other purpose gives the damage contrast. I have to disagree with the doubts on Boba not painting. A shrewd business man surviving at a time of war has to take time to ensure continued business and that here means taking care of his best advertisement tool: his armor.

That helmet blew up in the clone wars show.

Sent from my iPhone

yep.......and Clone Wars is cannon. So the helmet Boba has definitely isn't Jango's. And just on a side note..........Jango's helmet was dented before Geonosis. There is a dent in the helmet during the battle with Obi Wan.

The why is just the film production point of view. They painted up about 6 helmets and then they seemed to not keep track of which one they used. I don't think there has ever been a story that explained changes. Think about it from this point. It is supposed to be the same helmet from ESB to ROTJ.....that is the only way to explain the dent. It isn't like Boba got shot in the exact same place in the head with every helmet that he owned. So the only reasonable train of thought is that he is wearing the same helmet.

That puts us back at the point that it is just a film production thing.

Maybe Boba Fett made his own helmets, and he's a recaster....

Yep....look up the thread "Origin of the Dent". It is a great read..........but a very long one.

But for those who haven't seen it, here is a screen cap where you can see his range finder missing and the dent in the helmet.

FfYVAQ.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back