Forgive my ignorance, but... why the costume color change between ESB and ROTJ?

mainst69

Active Hunter
Hey guys (and gals),
I was just curious and wondering on why the color scheme and other attributes of Fett's costume changed from ESB to ROTJ? I mean, it's not like reference photos didn't exist, was the costume just trashed from filming and/or storage and so a new one was created for ROTJ? But that begs the question, why go to the multi-colored jetpack, red kill stripes, different color flight suit, etc.? I'm not trying to open the age old debate of which version is better or what have you. I was just wondering from a prop/costume perspective why was a change warranted or asked for?

Any insight or history lessons would be most appreciated!

Main

Hey guys (and gals),
I was just curious and wondering on why the color scheme and other attributes of Fett's costume changed from ESB to ROTJ? I mean, it's not like reference photos didn't exist, was the costume just trashed from filming and/or storage and so a new one was created for ROTJ? But that begs the question, why go to the multi-colored jetpack, red kill stripes, different color flight suit, etc.? I'm not trying to open the age old debate of which version is better or what have you. I was just wondering from a prop/costume perspective why was a change warranted or asked for?

Any insight or history lessons would be most appreciated!

Main
It was laundry snafu

It´s written in the book: STAR WARS Costumes - The Original Trilogy. They made several suits in the USA multi-coloured as we know from ROTJ. Some of them were send to England for filming "The Empire Strikes Back". No one at Lucasfilm really knows, why the complete look was changed to green. Some suggest it was Kershner´s wish to match the overall green look of Boba Fett´s armour. But there´s no proof for that. For ROTJ they went back to use the multi-coloured suits. Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I have that book in my Amazon cart, but just haven't had the spare funds to buy it yet. Too much Sintra, paint and stuff to buy....

It´s written in the book: STAR WARS Costumes - The Original Trilogy. They made several suits in the USA multi-coloured as we know from ROTJ. Some of them were send to England for filming "The Empire Strikes Back". No one at Lucasfilm really knows, why the complete look was changed to green. Some suggest it was Kershner´s wish to match the overall green look of Boba Fett´s armour. But there´s no proof for that. For ROTJ they went back to use the multi-coloured suits. Hope this helps. ;)

I think the apparent facts are that the costume department was just not very careful. It goes farther than just the production of the suit, they couldn't even assemble the thing the same way each day.

They probably never thought it would be an issue so they just put stuff on screen. Then suddenly 30 years later there are people still talking about it.

they couldn't even assemble the thing the same way each day.

I find that hard to believe.

kneepads.jpg

Oh...nevermind...:D

Wasn't there an interview with JB where he said something about the gaunts color changing because he passed all his mandalore tests and that he "leveled up" and the different colors represented that?? :confused

Wasn't there an interview with JB where he said something about the gaunts color changing because he passed all his mandalore tests and that he "leveled up" and the different colors represented that?? :confused

I like the thought of that, and also what you are saying is that ROTJ Fett is better than ESB Fett (y):lol:eek::D

Last edited by a moderator:
The costume department probably just got bored and messed about with it. They did the same with darth vaders costume . New film new costume

Whenever you collect on a bounty you are sure to splurge a bit and I'm sure Boba made a few credits delivering Han to Jabba. One of the first things I would do is upgrade my gear and replace/repair/repaint worn out pieces. Plus he had probably seen some action during the time between ESB and RotJ. Wear and tear man.....wear

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back