Girth Belt from ESB is same as ROTJ. Assumed for years, proven today?

Urami

Hunter
There are thousands of posts on this site. Lord knows that many topics have repeat threads etc, and this one is no exception. In all of the how to posts I have researched I have come away with a few rules and also a few hints on the actuality of the ESB/ROTJ belt mystery. Is it still a mystery? At this point if someone knows of a thread that has already pointed out what I am about to explain please share. In any case I am happy to just contribute to the forum in some way and possibly a final factual find on how to ESB Belt. At least maybe it will strike up a good conversation.

Belt findings and Clues
1. Color: Some say they are both the same belt (Red with Brown tones) but that it looks less red in ESB because of the Blue filter they used when filming. Some say that the ESB is more Brown with a hint of Red.
2. Strapping: Rule of thumb I have picked up is that the nylon straps get sewn to the right buckle for ROTJ and onto the left for ESB then latched into the oppisate buckle.

Costume History and Re use
1. ESB recycled for ROTJ: It is safe to say that it is widely accepted that most if not all of the soft parts were recycled for ROTJ and that they were just faded from use etc. The armor was re used and re painted as well.

Why wouldn't they have recycled the belt too?

That question is the basis of this post. Look at the below picture and the mini diagram I tried to lay out. I believe that the ESB belt is sewn in the same spot as the ROTJ because its the same exact belt. The difference is the fact that they just trimmed the strap so it only buckled onto the left side. The slack that still exists on the ESB belt is actually sewn on the right buckle (as depicted below from the exhibit close up), wraps under the left buckle tucks in between the girth and buckle and travels all the way back to it origin wrapping back under the bar (where its sewn) buckling and tucking under the girth belt.
Belt Discovery.png
If you notice the top strap it looks a little wider in the middle? That is between its two pieces appearing as one. If the picture isn't enough watch the video of how I unstrap my belt that should support the words I wrote better. Also take a look at the still pic as well, I tried to position everything exactly.
IMG_0158.JPG

I am really interested to know what you guys think? Is this new? Or is this old news just being re-confirmed?

IMG_0158.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting reading , I am of the opinion that the chest armour , back and codplate are the same colour as the dome and the cheeks in esb , the image you have used showing the girth belt shows the green is a lighter green similar to the dome and mandibles . I think the dark patches on the chest armouris just blaster smoke causing discolouration. image.jpg

View attachment 98643
I am really interested to know what you guys think? Is this new? Or is this old news just being re-confirmed?

not sure about the recycle/repurpose part but this is how i have my girth belt straps attached in the back as well. i haven't seen a tutorial on it here though. i always thought it was pretty clear how the straps wrapped around the buckles but this could certainly be helpful for anyone questioning the accurate set up for ESB!

I am of the opinion that the chest armour , back and codplate are the same colour as the dome and the cheeks in esb

not to get too off topic but to me, the base green on the cheeks and dome looks much closer to the green of the ESB gauntlets and jetpack. the armor green is definitely a deeper, darker shade. here's a good reference photo with all three elements in frame that shows the contrasts between them.

435a0c4ad717ce4e5fbb5277e8728515.jpg

Sent from my R2 unit

Attachments

• 435a0c4ad717ce4e5fbb5277e8728515.jpg
    435a0c4ad717ce4e5fbb5277e8728515.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 187
thanks for posting very interesting. I always thought the ESB Girthbelt is Brown and the ROTJ is red. But i also have seen Brown girth belts on a ROTJ Boba in Action.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back