Devil's Protocol Jango Mystery Helmet Conversion And Progress

Devilstar2k2

Active Hunter
I was going to sell this helmet, and then decided to convert it instead... Its a pretty nice helmet and I didn't wanna let it go. So far I've; filled the dent, removed the Borden thing from the cheek, and extended the lower section of the ear base by gluing a wood block at the bottom and filling it.

More to come later... ;)

-Shawn

bobasalestuff002.gif

jangobucket002.gif

jangobucket003.gif

jangobucket005.gif

rnb002.gif

rnb005.gif

oceanadded007.gif

hiuoyuo003.gif

JangoSale.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very nice bucket you have there. Really nice shape to it, good thing you decided to keep it. Hey, just back to the magnet Idea, they will fit inside. The attached part where you sit the RF stalk is thick enough to drop down some magnets. Just letting you know.

-tubachris

Its probably not thick enough on this helmet... The ear is basically hollow... Its not like the SF where its thicker for that part. This helmet is the same thickness all the way around. The ear is the same thickness as the mandibles which are the same thickness as the dome.

Just a quick example, when I went to straighten out the cut out for the stalk (this is not lined up to stand straight on most Mystery helmets), I actually ended up cutting a hole in the helmet which had to be filled afterward.

Its still a real nice helmet, just makes it a pain for trying the magnets. I may use my post/oring idea, or just some kind of a nut and bolt system. Either that, or go with a fixed stalk.

You know what? When this coat of primer is dry, I'll snap a quick pic so you can see what I mean. Check back in a few...

-Shawn

See the grey spot in the ear? Thats where I painted over the Bondo so it doesn't stand out so much when you glance inside the helmet. I had to put a tab of duct tape in there and Bondo the hole up from the outside because of the way its cast. Its hollowed out, and the edge had to be cut through so the stalk could stand straight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining... I like this helmet just the way it is... I'm just explaining why I don't think the magnet system will work with one of these. Unless I can find much thinner magnets than 1/8. 1/8 might work, but I'd be pushing my luck, and probably have to fill the ear with hot glue (or something) from the inside, which I don't want to do. See what I mean?

-Shawn

hollow.gif

Wow, Ive never seen that before on a helmet. You know what you could do, only if your desperate enough for the magnet system, you could fill that hollow section with resin or a filler of some kind to that after, its complety solid and even with the rest of the helmet. Then, it would be solid and thick enough to put the magnets through. Just even the bolt system you want to try out, I think it may cause you some issues if you say a hole came out by accident, how are you going to prevent another or even worse, a larger hole sprouting from just installing the bolt system?

Im sure there are other things you can try doing to solve the issue, I have just never seen such a thin helmet before.

-tubachris

The hole happened because I cut into the helmet... lol... It didn't just 'sprout'... The helmet is still thick enough, and solid. Its just like any other helmet with the exception of the ear. I don't think he was counting on folks trying to squeeze 2 magnets into the ear base. I think he was trying to make the helmet as light and balanced as possible.

-Shawn

The hole happened because I cut into the helmet... lol... It didn't just 'sprout'... The helmet is still thick enough, and solid. Its just like any other helmet with the exception of the ear. I don't think he was counting on folks trying to squeeze 2 magnets into the ear base. I think he was trying to make the helmet as light and balanced as possible.

-Shawn

Sorry, I just interpreted the unwanted hole as an accident. Well then you should go with the bolt/nut idea. should be pretty straight forward.

-tubachris

Right now, I'm leaning toward a fixed stalk... I'd never be putting the rf down anyway. Plus, then I'd never have to worry about it falling.

I just finished the rub n buff, and I have some pock marks on the cheeks... Its weird because I wet sanded everything before I even started. I guess I'll have to sand that down, and re-apply it before I post more pics.

-Shawn

Added a couple of pics to the top post... Rub n' buffed, and a did a little dark blue...

Does anyone know if its okay to clear coat over rub n' buff? I'm not sure because its more of a wax than a paint.

-Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Added a couple of pics to the top post... Rub n' buffed, and a did a little dark blue...

Does anyone know if its okay to clear coat over rub n' buff? I'm not sure because its more of a wax than a paint.

-Shawn

DO NOT USE CLEAR COAT ON THE RUB AND BUFF!

Learn from my mistake, it will become dull and look like spray paint if you do. Good ob, im thinkin about redong the silver on mine myseylf.

-tubachris

Made some progress finally... See top post... The 'star' on the dome is just the reflection of my ceiling fan. I had someone ask, so I thought that I'd make it clear up front. ;)

I used the palm of my hand to apply it... And a scrunched up t-shirt to get in the creases. Theres no clear coat on the helmet at all. The black paint was put on with a 00 brush, then smudged with my finger. Used a t-shirt again to smudge it into the creases.

-Shawn

It looks very nice man, Its amazing how quickly you put this together. LoL, it took me 5 months! Outstanding work! Are you gonna use Goop to attach the earcaps? And you said your going to go with the magnets? Cant wait to see more.

-tubachris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back